Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,996 times

Advertisements

I too am interested in Northern Minnesota. Currently, I am a US citizen living in England, badly wanting to come home.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to live/work in the twin cities or Duluth, while buying land and building somewhere remote, to relocate to when I retire in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 38,732 times
Thumbs up Mankato

I did some hunting around Minnesota a few years ago and settled down in Mankato. My family has not regretted it one bit.

It's a growing town of 50,000+, home to Minnesota State U, incredible shopping (Target, Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Sams Club, 2 Cub foods, 2 HyVees, 3 Walgreens, Gander Mt, Sheels) and every restaurant you can think of (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Famous Daves, BW3, Mongolian Grill, Chipotle, tons of pizza places and lots of local places as well). River Hills Mall is nearly 1 million sq feet alone.

Big employers are the Mankato Clinic, ISJ-Mayo Clinic, Taylor Corp, Xcel Energy, Katolight, MSU and all the retail. There is a new Wal-Mart distribution center being built on the North east side of town which alone will bring 600+ jobs to the city, not to mention hundreds more in spinoffs. The area is economically diverse which has insulated it pretty well from the current economic stress.

It's a 1 hour drive to the Mall of America or the airport. It has a nice downtown with a civic center that seats 8000 for concerts. I've seen Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Kiss, Brooks and Dunn and Boston there, it's a great place to see and hear a show.

In the summer there is Mankato Moondogs baseball (Northwoods league) and Minnesota Vikings Training Camp, in the fall there is Minnesota Timberwolves Training Camp, winter is MSU division 1 hockey.

It has enough small town feel but all the big city things as well and if it doesn't it's only an easy hour drive.

Check it out---good luck!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:13 PM

69 posts, read 197,244 times
If economy is your problem then go to Alaska. Economy does not apply up there. Go work on the northslope for 35 an hour to start. But if you want a good time and stay close to home then northern Minnesota is cool. The iron range cities are fun in the summers with fun stuff to do in the winter. But everything revolves around the bottle usually. At least the women are plentiful. Duluth is great but you will end up in the bar if you don't ski, or partake in outdoor activities. Either place...dress warm

Old 02-21-2009, 03:26 PM

94 posts, read 201,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I lived in Hibbing for 2 years. I don't recommend moving there. Grand Rapids is a beautiful area and I'd say look into that too.

Can you please tell me why you don't suggest Hibbing, MN?

I do not know the area up there.

Thanks.

Catherine

Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
If that plant gets build in Nashwauk, there may be some good jobs there.
What plant is going to be built up there in Nashwauk?

Thank you.

Catherine

Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM

I figured that 'off the grid' homesteads would be cheaper in real estate taxes too.

Do most of you think that your MN state income tax is high even if your real estate taxes are lower than WI? On one of the gun boards that I used to read a couple of years ago - I almost had a heart attack on hearing what one man paid in real estate taxes in WI. Just for hunting land and a simple cabin but I think that he did have some 'services'.

Catherine

Old 02-21-2009, 04:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,948,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineFrances View Post
What plant is going to be built up there in Nashwauk?

Thank you.

Catherine
1.6 Billion dollar steel plant going in. I believe construction started last fall.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM

989 posts, read 2,948,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineFrances View Post
I figured that 'off the grid' homesteads would be cheaper in real estate taxes too.

Do most of you think that your MN state income tax is high even if your real estate taxes are lower than WI? On one of the gun boards that I used to read a couple of years ago - I almost had a heart attack on hearing what one man paid in real estate taxes in WI. Just for hunting land and a simple cabin but I think that he did have some 'services'.

Catherine
I have a small cabin on 12.5 acres near Ely and taxes run around $500. They are higher than they would be if I homesteaded the property.

Income tax is about 6.5 percent. Most people living off the grid have fairly modest income and likely don't pay much income tax (state or federal).

Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Clifford63,

Thank you very much for the information!

I am trying to get some more information on realtor.com.

I do not know a specific real estate agent in that area and picked up several links off of the realtor.com website.

If you know of anyone in land sales - could you please post it here (If allowed.) and if it is NOT allowed send a PM with the agent's name and/or company's LINK.

Thank you very much.

Catherine

Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,787 times
Hi,
I live on a lake outside of Ely. We are "transplants," year-round, and found modest paying jobs in Virginia. We bought our land in 2001...it seemed high then...and lakeshore has not been affected by the downturn in the economy. It may not be selling as fast but prices are definitely not going down. Land prices are not too bad...still able to develop it but site development can be high. Where we live, our well went 70 feet deep but our neighbors had to be hydrofracked because of ledge rock so it went 350 feet to find water. Big difference in a building budget.

It depends on how bad you want to live in the quiet solitude of the northwoods, what sacrifices you are willing to make...we made a lot but the rewards have been worth it. Life is too short to wait until retirement to build your dream home amidst the pines. I love the Ely area...lots to do...places to see...it's not too commercialized (touristy)...Ely is known for its tree huggers...I should know...I am one and we did selective cutting when we cleared our land by ourselves. We planted 75 trees last year along our road and plan to plant 250 more this year. We live in dying old growth forest and want to leave some trees for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota