Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,502,692 times

Advertisements

There IS plenty of work out there, at least in my area. Just so long as you are a hard worked. It's around. There are many older homes sitting there just waiting to be renovated. Lots of as is projects.

So long as you don't mind the extreems of winter, Minnesota is spectacular. The very best of all the Seasons. You like the out-of-doors? This is THE PLACE. The small towns througout rural Minnesota are almost all excellent. I am quite positive you can find one that you like, if not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM

941 posts, read 3,897,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Superior, WI is kinda included in the "metro" since it's right across the bridge. They call this area the Twin Ports area. Because of Duluth and Superior.

Right now, it's 1. Tomorrow, it's an "anticipated" high of -1, and low of -24. Today was pretty much near blizzard conditions. I don't think we got hit as hard as Fargo, ND though. So yay to that one!

East end can be very expensive. And the west end, you'll just know the bad parts when you see them.

Consider Hermantown as well when you're looking at land and houses.

Oh, and awesome that you went to Montenegro! Lots of people never heard of it before. People always ask where my dad is from, but they never know where it is, when I tell them! I've been there twice. This March, and this July. March was rainy and cloudy, but I never really had to wear more than a sweatshirt. Here in MN, you'll still be dealing with snow and jackets in March. Possibly even a big "finale" snow storm.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, everywhere in MN, you will find A LOT of small towns/townships. If those are more to your liking, investigate them as well.
Gotcha. Twin Ports has a nice ring to it.

I don't think I've ever experienced tempratures in the negative. Coldest must be about 5 or 10 degrees.

Got it. Keep 'em pouring.

I am - some look promising in Hermantown. I see generous acreage is a bit on the pricey side in Hermantown.

I am one of the very few American that knows their geography. Truth to be told, I didn't even know what it was until their independence. I'm also well-traveled, almost like an international drifter.

You're right. I am seeing quite a bit of that in MN. I like that.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
There IS plenty of work out there, at least in my area. Just so long as you are a hard worked. It's around. There are many older homes sitting there just waiting to be renovated. Lots of as is projects.

So long as you don't mind the extreems of winter, Minnesota is spectacular. The very best of all the Seasons. You like the out-of-doors? This is THE PLACE. The small towns througout rural Minnesota are almost all excellent. I am quite positive you can find one that you like, if not all of them.
Good to hear...makes me exciting about scoping it out. Yes, I like outdoors hence why the consideration the move to MN.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM

721 posts, read 2,601,784 times
If you do not want to live right in the city of Duluth then check out Cloquet (pop 11,000) Esko, (pop 500), Carlton (pop 900) and the smaller towns around there like Wrenshall. You will find your fixer uppers anywhere in this area. Land is cheaper if you live south toward Cloquet.

You say coldest you have been is 5-10 degrees? Well, once it is that cold who notices if it gets a little colder? I don't really.

What kind of work would you consider doing? Duluth is slowly diversifying its economy. I mean S L O W L Y changing. Small (really

There is a hard core union presence in town mixed with the nature granola hippy types, and you have your social conservative christians mixed with your liberal types for good measure. We take all kinds here!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,994,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Guess MN winters is something I'll just have to experience myself.

I'm pretty handy. Just call me Mr. Jack-of-trades. I recently discovered MN winters like to eat car batteries. Wow, I never knew such thing existed. I better buy new batteries for my cars [they are really old, but works fine]. I do have AAA - I have been a Plus member for a decade.
I just replaced my 94 Accord's battery for the first time ever thispast summer. It spent most of its life (the first ten years) up there in the Twin Cities, and four more down here, so the weather up there can't be THAT hard on batteries.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,537,341 times
Newcastle may have sounded like he was joking, but once it goes below zero you honestly don't feel the difference.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,723,622 times
I've never had battery problems unless I left the lights on on older cars.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
If you do not want to live right in the city of Duluth then check out Cloquet (pop 11,000) Esko, (pop 500), Carlton (pop 900) and the smaller towns around there like Wrenshall. You will find your fixer uppers anywhere in this area. Land is cheaper if you live south toward Cloquet.

You say coldest you have been is 5-10 degrees? Well, once it is that cold who notices if it gets a little colder? I don't really.

What kind of work would you consider doing? Duluth is slowly diversifying its economy. I mean S L O W L Y changing. Small (really

There is a hard core union presence in town mixed with the nature granola hippy types, and you have your social conservative christians mixed with your liberal types for good measure. We take all kinds here!
Thanks for the names - I see quite a few poteinal properties...

What's another 5-10 degrees, right? We get used to it.

Right now, anybody who's willing to give me a job. Seriously, I'm not sure. I don't have a career as of present. I took a few community college classes last fall, so I have a few credits already toward an entry degree. Right now I'm working in clerical as a data entry clerk. What kind of employment does Duluth offer at this time?

I don't bother with other people's preferences as long as they don't annoy me about it.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 PM

394 posts, read 1,514,577 times
Duluth is nice in the sense that it is a large regional hub and is a metro area, but the geography makes it kind of rural. With the hill and ravines, there are some pretty rural areas of the city. I find it great how you can live in a rural home and still be within the limits of a 80,000+ city.

The views are remarkable, and the people are friendly. and youre right, thre isnt much of a differnece between 0 and -20. its the wind thatll get ya.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM

394 posts, read 1,514,577 times
I would like to say this:

I have lived in Central Hillside, Duluth since August and have not once locked my front door. heck, i dont even have a key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota