Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:58 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You don't have to like hockey. I know many, many people that don't, including me, and we all get along just fine in MN.

Marshall, which is in Lyon County not Yellow Med. if you are going to research that, would be a perfect option for you. It is a very nicely kept town with several major employers with all levels of employment opportunities. It has all of your day to day shopping needs and is an 1 1/2 to Sioux Falls for everything else.
I just checked out the places you just suggested. Wow, this looks like a worthy consideration. How are the jobs there? What types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taysantanamama View Post
I honestly think a man can make it pretty much anywhere in Minnesota if you are low maintainence and willing to work hard, which it sounds like you are. You could work at any number of resorts during the summer months, maybe even winter, and probably get free room and board, you could also do something like logging in the winter. If you can see yourself in the more remote areas, you could find an old fixer upper for not a lot of money and find some type of seasonal work.
You pinned me down pretty well. It's great to hear that. Nothing like the bitter cold to force me to be active.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I just checked out the places you just suggested. Wow, this looks like a worthy consideration. How are the jobs there? What types?
They have everything from assembly line workers to corporate CEO's. Like I said, they have several major employers, Schwan's being the largest, but they also have a large division of US Bank, the University, the hospital and the school system as well as several smaller employers.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 27,765 times
Might wanna consider Detroit Lakes or Walker for example, both less that 14k, and lots of lakes. I live between Detroit Lakes and Fargo, ND,,,,kinda of on the edge of lake country. Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 58,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R & M View Post
Might wanna consider Detroit Lakes or Walker for example, both less that 14k, and lots of lakes. I live between Detroit Lakes and Fargo, ND,,,,kinda of on the edge of lake country. Good Luck!

Hi,Grand Rapids,Mn here!Nice,low crime town of around 20,000, decent people & pretty good drivers,compared to other places we've lived with little frost on the ground!Walker is very pretty,especially for fall drives!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned utilities, but make sure you know who you electric company will be. Try to get Minnesota as opposed to some of the CO-OPs. Example: in my most recent move if I had moved 10 more miles from where I did I'd save almost half my money. I feel so stupid for not checking it out before I bought my house. Seriously, this CO-OP I HAVE TO HAVE charges so much money I want to cry every time the bill comes.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,496 times
OOOPS! I meant to say Minnesota Power.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,428 times
I have a home in Becker Mn for rent on a yearly lease. We are trying to go to Florida as soon as we rent out our home. Becker is about 45 miles northwest of the Minneapolis. It is a smaller town with lots of land and things to do. My home has 5 acres, pole barn etc.. Not sure if your into 4 wheeling or not but their is lots of trails around here. Its great we have a nice quite city but not to far from big cities with more things.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned utilities, but make sure you know who you electric company will be. Try to get Minnesota as opposed to some of the CO-OPs. Example: in my most recent move if I had moved 10 more miles from where I did I'd save almost half my money. I feel so stupid for not checking it out before I bought my house. Seriously, this CO-OP I HAVE TO HAVE charges so much money I want to cry every time the bill comes.
That's a great tip...I owe you one. I'll be sure to ask for MN Power.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajpd View Post
I have a home in Becker Mn for rent on a yearly lease. We are trying to go to Florida as soon as we rent out our home. Becker is about 45 miles northwest of the Minneapolis. It is a smaller town with lots of land and things to do. My home has 5 acres, pole barn etc.. Not sure if your into 4 wheeling or not but their is lots of trails around here. Its great we have a nice quite city but not to far from big cities with more things.
Becker sounds good - let's see if I can swing it. What do you charge for your rental? How much do you pay in taxes/ultities, etc? Trying to get an idea on costs in MN...thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota