U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 38,844 times

Advertisements

Hello,

i currently live in Los Angeles,CA and may be moving to Owatonna MN in June for about 9 months. I'll be moving with my boyfriend whos doing a training program in Owatonna, but if i go with him i plan to go to the State University in Mankato, which is why i asked about both cities.

I have no idea what to expect. Since i'll be living in Owatonna, can anyone tell me what that city is like? Also what cities are between owatonna and mankato that would be a good place to live (to make the commute for me a tad less long)

Is the traffic bad around there? Also im curious to know if there are a lot of big restaurants around this area because i'll have to waitress to get by while im there.
Im not even going to ask about the weather!! The winters sound scary...ive never ever driven in snow.

Anywyas, any feedback would be great!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM

alsoo how far is Owatonna from Mankato with or without traffic? Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,556,831 times
Owatonna has a lot to offer for a town that size. You won't have an issue finding a job there. It is about 45 miles from Mankato so that is a bit of a drive. Waseca would be another choice of places to live. It is a beautiful lake town with a lot of charm.

My BIL and his family live in Owatonna and love it there.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:35 PM

is waseco closer to mankato?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear63 View Post
is waseco closer to mankato?
Yes, it would be about 30 miles or so to Mankato. There isn't too much after that of any size-a lot of small towns, which aren't a bad choice because you can probably find something pretty cheep to rent but you would both be driving.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM

hows traffic going that way?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 AM

Little to none--you are talking rural roads with an occasional car along highway 14. There will be some traffic at commute times but your worst traffic will be NOTHING compared to LA traffic. You might see 50 cars on your way to work.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM

really? so youre saying a 45 mile drive to mankato, i wont hit traffic? sorry this is foreign to me!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,996,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear63 View Post
really? so youre saying a 45 mile drive to mankato, i wont hit traffic? sorry this is foreign to me!
Hi, What golfgal has told you is true, you will have a nice peaceful drive, with not much traffic. Both of the areas you are talking about are very nice areas.
When you live around Minnesota the only place it gets really busy is the bigger cities, so you will not have any trouble with your drive to and from Mankato and Owatonna. Good choice. Yorkie

Old 03-03-2007, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,552 times

Hi I live in waseca and the drive from here to mankato takes about 30 min from waseca to owatonna is only about 20 min. I saw that you had asked about serving jobs and they are plentiful around her ( if you go to mankato you have your pick of resturants, I myself work in Owatonna at the Perkins Family resturant and I know they are always looking for servers there and the tips are pretty good depending on how much you are use to making, on an average you can make about 100 a day, if you need any more info on the restratants around this area and I can email you, if you are looking for a certain type of resturant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota