U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM

403 posts, read 669,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
1. The roaming thugs are more a threat to each other than they are to you or me. I have walked the whole length of Hennepin, at all times of the day and night, for quite some time. Yet, I am still here to type on this computer.
2. Southdale is in Edina, not near it. It is hard to fully understand an area that you avoid at all costs. Southdale has a problem with keeping its stores solvent, and with attracting any people at all. A gang problem would be a blessing, even thugs spend money. Yet, Edina is one of the safest cities in Minnesota.
3. Minneapolisis chaulk-full of beautiful parks. The bogs at Wirth Park, Mnnehaha Falls. Come visit some of them, oftentimes you can be the only person in them.
4. Art isn't just for snobs (unless it is the Walker, they are pretty snobbish). The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is just as much a museum of ancient China as it is Andy Worhol.
Every place has its inherent dangers. In Minneapolis, the most prominent is crime. Turth be told, though, the 30 mile drive in from south of the River is stitistically more dangerous. One can live on a beautiful beach and get swept away by a hurricane. Te reason why you have to look over your back is because you have it etched in your mind that you will be hurt if you don't. You keep posting links that describe crimes in areas that you don't understand. For all of the times that you have ventured into the City (or its suburbs), how often have you felt compelled to use the gun that you keep? The idea that you would write off everything within an arbitrary city limit is laughable. There are neighborhoods that are safe, there are neighborhoods that are not. They cannot be delineated based on the jurdidiction of city councils or the boundaries created by freeways. The world is not that black and white. You don't have to come here, that is acceptible. It is evident from your reasoning, though, that the reason that you don't want to come here have little to do with crime. You are simply not interested in the things the city has to offer. I seldom leave the City unless it is to go to another city. I am not interested in the things that rural areas have to offer. It is an acceptible stance because I don't insist on people accepting my views of rural areas. I don't talk about the presence of meth labs, or the poverty of rural cities relative to urban areas. I don't insist on talking about the rate of alcoholism in small cities or the suicide rates in Alaska. Nobody is denying any evidence. What I most want to convey is that the evidence that you present should be done so in context. I don't pull up a story about drug dealers in Owatonna and declare it the tenth layer of hell, because that would remove it from any sembelence of context. It would be irrational to generalize that story. I would ask that you do the same.
Good post!!. I also find it laughable how people who don't live in Minneapolis think that the city is some kind of war zone or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM

240 posts, read 287,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Good post!!. I also find it laughable how people who don't live in Minneapolis think that the city is some kind of war zone or something.

That's pretty much the consensus on the forum.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

403 posts, read 669,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
Like I said before, I get it... rose colored glasses, friendly unicorns, peace happiness and harmony. You're welcome to your view of the criminal hotspot of Minnesota, I'll take reality.

I don't know why you seem to have such a hard on for my posts and my ideas but it seems a little odd that you can't jsut ignore them if you find them so distasteful. Methinks I smell a troll in my midst, and so...

...Welcome to my "ignore" list.

But before I part ways with you and your ignorance, I will say this; it's a fact that you cannot seem to get through your head - you're more likely to be the victim of a crime inside the beltway (No matter the neighborhood) than you are outside the metro.

As an example, I can walk down my street at 2AM and not worry about my wallet getting stolen. I can mow my lawn and not worry about getting shot during a drive by or having a drug dealer offering me a rock. I can leave $5K of electronics in my vehicle parked in my dark driveway all night long without having a window broken out or having the car stolen. The only hoes in my neighborhood are the ones used to work in the garden. I can ride a bike down a street (day or night) and not worry about someone knocking me over for my $10 shoes.

I can't say the same for your precious crime-ridden city; no one can because quite frankly it's a dangerous place if you let your guard down. You have had the luxury of hanging on to your ignorance; I hope your rose-colored glasses don't get broken during your assault.

Good luck.
Your post is good timing, because on the drive home from work tonight, I was thinking about a mortgage broker that I have been dealing with. This broker lives in Chaska in a $650,000 house ( checked it out on zillow).. Anyhooo.. this lovely suburban rich !@@#~!! gave me an approval for a loan that was loaded with junk fees and more..... To make the story short, she is trying to rob me. On the way home, I was thinking about how people such as her are MUCH more scary to me than anyone that one comes across on Lake Street etc.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM

240 posts, read 287,493 times
Quote:
Your post is good timing, because on the drive home from work tonight, I was thinking about a mortgage broker that I have been dealing with. This broker lives in Chaska in a $650,000 house ( checked it out on zillow).. Anyhooo.. this lovely suburban rich !@@#~!! gave me an approval for a loan that was loaded with junk fees and more..... To make the story short, she is trying to rob me. On the way home, I was thinking about how people such as her are MUCH more scary to me than anyone that one comes across on Lake Street etc.

Welcome to his "ignore" list.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,916,135 times
Quote:
Three's a crowd, Veridian.
Anyways, mortgage brokers have done more to hurt America than any criminal have by threefold. It is easy to live in a $650,000 house, it is invariably harder to do with honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota