U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 3,329,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I could maybe tolerate the cold more if I didn't have to pay so steep real estate taxes for that privilege.

Actually MN real estate taxes are on the low side. They are around 1% of the value. There has been an attempt to get appraised values close to market values. If you go to NV, they have an expensive percentage (I forgot) but the appraised value is low to the market value. Try TX at 2.8% or FL at 2%. I know, they don't have income taxes. But for that matter, WI real estate taxes are higher than MN. So in short, they get you one way or another.

I would agree if you combine all of the taxes (property, income, sales, gas taxes, etc) we are an expensive state to live in. In MN, we are "compassionate" to those who don't want to work. That compassion brought a lot of IL and (Gary) IN license plates in a few year back. You see, we gave people checks just for showing up. REALLY! They all landed in the Twin Cities for our generous benefits and there has been a lot of problems because of that. You could not pay me to live in MPLS and most of St. Paul especially if I had to raise children in this city.

Without question, an ideal solution is having two places. I vacation 3-4 weeks during the winter is what is keeping me sane. When the kids graduate, I will be there a few months a year. Thank Goodness for VOIP and a home office.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 12-19-2008 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 PM

52 posts, read 140,160 times
Default Minnesota

We are Minnesota natives and are sick of the cold weather and snow as well. A few years back we traveled to Nashville on business and took one afternoon for a short road trip to explore the area. We ended up in Eastern TN (Sevierville / Pigeon Forge area) and found it to be very inviting with the mountains as a backdrop and the lower cost of living plus the "tempered" winter weather. We have been going back there 3 - 4 times a year since then. Long story short is that last fall we ended up purchasing a home there that we currently rent out. It is close to lakes, rivers, shopping, entertainment, dining, good medical facilites and schools. Our plan is to move there in a couple of years once the economy straightens out and we sell our home in MN. I would recommend if you are an outdoorsy person, to take a trip to the Smokies to experiece the natural beauty of the area. During the summer, there are a few weeks in July & August that can get hot and humid and then they have the occasional ice storm in the winter than can bring things to a halt. Other than that you will find the weather to be nice.

We would highly recommend eastern Tennessee to anyone who enjoys the outdoors with only a month or two of "cooler" weather in December in January. Let's see, as I write this. it is 62 in Knoxville and 18 here in Minnesota. Gee, what am I doing here??

Happy Holidays to All!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 PM

4,933 posts, read 8,707,243 times
From what I understand Portland shares many of the qualities of the Twin Cities and it doesn't get quite as cold there. There are alot of warm climate places I'd definitely consider but they have higher crime and/or lack of the arts and culture and education amenities we take for granted here.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlover View Post
We are Minnesota natives and are sick of the cold weather and snow as well. A few years back we traveled to Nashville on business and took one afternoon for a short road trip to explore the area. We ended up in Eastern TN (Sevierville / Pigeon Forge area) and found it to be very inviting with the mountains as a backdrop and the lower cost of living plus the "tempered" winter weather. We have been going back there 3 - 4 times a year since then. Long story short is that last fall we ended up purchasing a home there that we currently rent out. It is close to lakes, rivers, shopping, entertainment, dining, good medical facilites and schools. Our plan is to move there in a couple of years once the economy straightens out and we sell our home in MN. I would recommend if you are an outdoorsy person, to take a trip to the Smokies to experiece the natural beauty of the area. During the summer, there are a few weeks in July & August that can get hot and humid and then they have the occasional ice storm in the winter than can bring things to a halt. Other than that you will find the weather to be nice.

We would highly recommend eastern Tennessee to anyone who enjoys the outdoors with only a month or two of "cooler" weather in December in January. Let's see, as I write this. it is 62 in Knoxville and 18 here in Minnesota. Gee, what am I doing here??

Happy Holidays to All!
Knoxville was on my radar as well. But http://www.city-data.com/city/Knoxville-Tennessee.html talked me out of it. Look at the crime index. It is 2X the national average with 153 registered sex offenders.

That is 153K people. Take Andover, Elk River, Big Lake, Coon Rapids, Blaine, Anoka, Champlin, Dayton and you have 150K people. While I didn't check I'd guess there is under 5 registered sex offenders and maybe 2-3 murders.

My wife didn't like the humidity and wanted more of a change in seasons. But you picked a BEAUTIFUL part of the country; no doubt about it!

Her 1st choice is still Denver area.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,645,719 times
People are too cold to kill people here. That's why you don't see as many murders.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM

713 posts, read 631,317 times
You're right that no place has perfect weather (although some come close in my opinion), but when you figure that the average person finds 75 degrees perfect, a temp of 115 (very low humidity) in Phoenix in July is only 40 degrees over the "comfort zone" while our -20 last week was 95 degrees under the comfort zone...and we're not even into the wind chill calculating yet...lol

We've stayed in Scottsdale (Phoenix area) many times over the past 10 or 15 years during the summer and you can still take a comfortable walk....but you do it at 8 or 9 at night when the sun is not high in the sky. Believe it or not, with that low (8 - 10%) humidity they have...you can get goosebumps when getting out the pool even when it's 95 degrees....I still tease me wife about that.

My entire lot of siblings (4 of them) all live out west and have for many years....not sure what's wrong with me other than I landed a good job out of college, met a local gal, married, had kids...and well, as many of you know, you just kind of feel trapped for about 25 or 30 years. We're at year 26 now, so the end is near, and we're both very excited about finally being able to live somewhere that we picked...rather than where our parents picked.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,483,952 times
-"actually MN real estate taxes are on the low side---

Not compared to where I'm going (NE Alabama)

Beautifull, rugged, scenery.
Comparable house for only 75% of a MN house
Real estate tax of $300 a year compared to $1500 per year here.

My entire real estate tax will be about $300, while currently I am paying $860 per year----------just to my local school district.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,483,952 times
I agree with Texas having too high a real estate tax.

I scratched them from my list awhile back.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
People are too cold to kill people here. That's why you don't see as many murders.
Are you saying that when people shiver, their shooting accuracy isn't as good?? Maybe that is why there are so many failed ballots in our senate race.... People were shivering!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,645,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Are you saying that when people shiver, their shooting accuracy isn't as good?? Maybe that is why there are so many failed ballots in our senate race.... People were shivering!
Well, it goes one of two ways:
1. At some times, it gets so cold that people start shivering furiously, and, at that point, accuracy is indeed hindered
2. The other times, is when we hit absolute zero, and all motion stops. Try and shoot someone then!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota