Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

I am a native Minnesotan. I've been in Texas for the last ten years and want to move back home. The job market or lack thereof scares me, though. My husband and I would like to live in the Sauk Centre area.

He has extensive knowledge of computer repair, installation, and networking. He used to work for the Geek Squad, but took a job with a financial consulting company that works with hospitals. He is basically office manager/IT, although, his official title is Controller.

I'm a companion caregiver for the elderly in the evenings. I do not have a CNA. Neither one of us has a college degree.

Are we gonna have a tough time finding jobs. I would prefer to have a part time job since I homeschool the kids. We are willing to commute maybe 30 minutes.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,026 times
Follow the want ads here Denied:1up! Software () That might give you a sense of what's available.

If you're willing to commute to - or live closer to - St Cloud or Alexandria that may expand your options quite a bit. I'd watch the want ads in those cities too.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 AM

311 posts, read 693,904 times
Default no jobs

There are NO jobs in MN right now.If there is then you have to compete with 100s people going after the same job.Even fast food is slim pickings.I have called and applied at over 50 fast food joints and only 2 were hiring, part time.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
There are NO jobs in MN right now.If there is then you have to compete with 100s people going after the same job.Even fast food is slim pickings.I have called and applied at over 50 fast food joints and only 2 were hiring, part time.
It is tough everywhere. Best of luck finding something.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Jobs are available in the Twin Cities metro area. On the Star Tribune website in the business section you can get a list of the 100 largest companies in the Twin Cities. If you go down the list and go to each corporate website and look at job listings you will typically see between 20-150 jobs available at each one. Right there you have probably 5000-7000 available jobs.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Any Software Development experience there? If so, I can help. We would be interested in COBOL for the most part.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,453 times
Hey, don't forget about your UNCLE! There are today 41 jobs posted for hiring on USAJOBS.opm.gov
for federal positions.

There is a lot of speculation about government programs expanding to start folks working again (construction) and the current federal workforce is expecting many turnovers in personnel.

Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,453 times
OOPs...those 41 Jobs are within 100 miles of Alexandria

Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Jobs are available in the Twin Cities metro area. On the Star Tribune website in the business section you can get a list of the 100 largest companies in the Twin Cities. If you go down the list and go to each corporate website and look at job listings you will typically see between 20-150 jobs available at each one. Right there you have probably 5000-7000 available jobs.
I'm sorry, but it's been my experience that posted job listings do not necessarily represent actual job positions.

Some corporate positions might be posted externally even though internal candidates already exist for the position (certain companies are required to do this even though the job has already been filled).

Some positions may represent positions which were posted but are currently frozen due to very recent budget adjustments. When I was looking for work up there after 9/11, I ran into this quite often. "Yes, we have the position, and we still have it posted, but we can't fill it at this point in time."

Some positions might simply be posted in order to fish the current market and see what types of job seekers are available.

It's certainly true that many of them, perhaps most, might represent real jobs, but it's hard to say. Don't believe everything you read on corporate web sites.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
A company would be silly to do something like that. Why would you want to limit the supply of talent? I know for a fact the company I work doesn't do that and any company which does is putting itself at a disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota