Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM

91,959 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Was kind of town is Marshall? I notice that is it relatively pretty diverse for the part of Minnesota it is in. Is that due to some type of industry there or some other reason? Is there anything to do there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Marshall is a great town. The major employer is Schwan's Food Company. They also have a state university in town and several other employers offering a variety of jobs.

It is a great town to raise a family, not quite so nice if you are looking for a hopping nightlife but there are plenty of things to keep one busy.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,348,991 times
Default Marshall is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Was kind of town is Marshall? I notice that is it relatively pretty diverse for the part of Minnesota it is in. Is that due to some type of industry there or some other reason? Is there anything to do there?
Hey ckh! I hate to bring back a two-year-old topic, but I was going to start a new thread on how awesome Marshall was, and your post provides the perfect lead-in.

First of all, yes, Marshall is very diverse. There is a relatively large Black (both African and African-American) and Hispanic population (over 10% combined, maybe more than 15% now), as well as a significant number of South Asians, East Asians and Native Americans. There are several ethnic grocery stores and restaurants, including an awesome authentic Mexican place. It's more diverse than the other Minnesota cities I've lived in (Plymouth and Mankato).

The city is home to two major corporations in Schwan's Food Company and US Bank, as well as a major university. These places provide many professional, white-collar jobs and help keep the town's economy running. Plus, there are numerous small businesses around. Marshall's economic vitality and higher education helps bring in the diversity.

As far as things to do, Marshall has a lot of high-end restaurants for a town its size, as well as several good college bar-restaurant-type hangouts. There's the golf course, and a nice movie theater. There is a mall (which pretty much sucks, sorry) and several big-box stores like Shopko, Walmart and Menards, as well as a bunch of local, independently-owned shops. You can buy whatever you need in Marshall. This area is great if you like the outdoors -- great prairie scenery, good cross-country skiing, ice fishing and hunting.

There is a lot of disinformation about Marshall on these forums. It seems people have moved here and expected New York City or LA, and then left disappointed when the town didn't meet their expectations. People need to keep in mind Marshall is a small college town, not a major metropolis. It's not dull, there are plenty of things to do and see for a town its size. I moved here for a job, didn't really want to move at all, and I've really fallen in love with the place. It's the type of small town I've always wanted to live in: diverse, progressive, friendly, young, safe and surrounded by beautiful terrain. As a young, single guy in my mid-20s, I really, really like this place. Although God may have other plans, I'm planning to stay here for a long time.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,036,333 times
I love Marshall and it is the best town in the area(though that isn't saying much) But I wouldn't say people who were disappointed in it were expecting NYC or LA. For a town it's size, there sure is a lot to do. I remember when you lived in Plymouth and said you didn't care for Mankato, and you move there and love it, then you get a job offer in Marshall and you didn't want to move really, but now you love it I love Marshall and would live there, though I prefer something quite a bit bigger(The Cities), though if I ever had to I would gladly live there and would enjoy it a lot I will agree with you though that the mall does suck, but you can't expect much in a small town like that.

BTW Kazoopilot, Do you like it more then Mankato?

Last edited by Radical_Car; 02-19-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
I was thinking, maybe we should be a little quieter
Marshall is one of Outstate Minnesota's best kept secret small towns.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The city is home to two major corporations in Schwan's Food Company and US Bank
Are you sure US Bank is headquartered in Marshall? I was pretty sure its corporate office was in downtown Minneapolis. I just ran a career search on their website and of the 266 US Bank jobs currently available in the state, only 3 of them are located in Marshall. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of those jobs are located in the Twin Cities. I'm not trying to diss Marshall or anything, but your talking the place up sounds eerily like those South Dakota "Ready to Work" commercials I'm always hearing on the radio.

If they made a commercial for Marshall it would probably go something like this: "With its central locaton, an educated workforce, a favorable tax environment and aggressive incentives programs, Marshall is an ideal place to start your business. Find out more at Marshall Ready to Work dot com."

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 02-19-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Are you sure US Bank is headquartered in Marshall?
It's in Minneapolis, and not Marshall
Contact Information
U.S. Bancorp Center
800 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55402
651-466-3000

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
It's in Minneapolis, and not Marshall
Contact Information
U.S. Bancorp Center
800 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55402
651-466-3000
Ah yes, the skyscraper downtown that is called the U.S. Bancorp Center....makes sense I guess.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,348,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I love Marshall and it is the best town in the area(though that isn't saying much) But I wouldn't say people who were disappointed in it were expecting NYC or LA. For a town it's size, there sure is a lot to do. I remember when you lived in Plymouth and said you didn't care for Mankato, and you move there and love it, then you get a job offer in Marshall and you didn't want to move really, but now you love it I love Marshall and would live there, though I prefer something quite a bit bigger(The Cities), though if I ever had to I would gladly live there and would enjoy it a lot I will agree with you though that the mall does suck, but you can't expect much in a small town like that.
The people I was referring to were disgruntled ex-residents who claimed they didn't like Marshall because it wasn't like the Cities, or California, or Texas or other huge cities they moved from. It was small, boring, etc. I think their complaints didn't make much sense.

The mall has so much potential -- it's not some dump. There's a lot of empty space just sitting there that should be filled with stores. Many people would rather drive 90 minutes to Sioux Falls (no one goes to Mankato to shop [except me], even though it's basically the same distance) than shop in Marshall and try to promote stores coming here.

Quote:
BTW Kazoopilot, Do you like it more then Mankato?
It's really close, but yes. The reason I didn't like Mankato at first is because it was too big - I originally wanted to go to St. Peter, but I couldn't find a place to live there. Marshall is the perfect size and I like it better than Mankato/St. Peter because it's way out on the prairie -- I love the solitude of the Great Plains. Marshall is pretty much perfect for me.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Are you sure US Bank is headquartered in Marshall? I was pretty sure its corporate office was in downtown Minneapolis. I just ran a career search on their website and of the 266 US Bank jobs currently available in the state, only 3 of them are located in Marshall. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of those jobs are located in the Twin Cities. I'm not trying to diss Marshall or anything, but your talking the place up sounds eerily like those South Dakota "Ready to Work" commercials I'm always hearing on the radio.

If they made a commercial for Marshall it would probably go something like this: "With its central locaton, an educated workforce, a favorable tax environment and aggressive incentives programs, Marshall is an ideal place to start your business. Find out more at Marshall Ready to Work dot com."
One of US Bank's larger (and most profitable) divisions is located in Marshall. They have a very low turnover rate so that is probably why they don't have many job openings. They are the second or third largest employer in Marshall. Unemployment rate in Marshall hovers in the 3% range so it is a good place to work. There is more to life then your little neighborhood in Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota