Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 21,455 times

Advertisements

Ahmed---This might be changing the thread a bit, but I feel resentment toward all the Somali organizations that seem aggressive and demanding in community affairs. Communities should be given the right to decide if immigrants will be invited in and welcomed. Otherwise, resentment occurs. I want to welcome new people and not have them "forced" on us. It is as though the first thing taught to new immigrants is to demand everything & to look for any sign of racism. American social workers/churches that encourage this are doing everyone a big disservice. If the atmosphere is one of demanding this and that, then it is no wonder there are too many organizations vying for money, attention, etc. I'm just working on getting the resentment out of my heart. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minot View Post
Communities should be given the right to decide if immigrants will be invited in and welcomed. Otherwise, resentment occurs. I want to welcome new people and not have them "forced" on us. .

If "immigrants" waited to be welcomed and invited into communities of people who do not look like them, they'd drop dead while waiting...let's keep it real.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Ahmed---This might be changing the thread a bit, but I feel resentment toward all the Somali organizations that seem aggressive and demanding in community affairs. Communities should be given the right to decide if immigrants will be invited in and welcomed. Otherwise, resentment occurs. I want to welcome new people and not have them "forced" on us. It is as though the first thing taught to new immigrants is to demand everything & to look for any sign of racism. American social workers/churches that encourage this are doing everyone a big disservice. If the atmosphere is one of demanding this and that, then it is no wonder there are too many organizations vying for money, attention, etc. I'm just working on getting the resentment out of my heart. Good luck to you.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,961 times
Quote:
This is the reason why some people post these "Is Minnesota welcoming to newcomers?" threads.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
This is the reason why some people post these "Is Minnesota welcoming to newcomers?" threads.
I suspect aggressive newcomers are treated somewhat differently than others.

I know I have a special place in my heart for some of the New Yorkers I've met (both up there and down here) over the years.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 21,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Kuan---People post "Is this "place" welcoming to newcomers" for all places, not just Minnesota. Communities can indeed become overwhelmed with too many new people. It's wise not to be dismissive of this and blow it off as rascist, or backward, or unfriendly to outsiders, etc. Often there is good reason.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM

214 posts, read 691,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Nana View Post
I can't believe His question, but shocked at your answer.
The government is paying Those People back for invading Their homeland, Yes, even Germany!
Just as I am shocked at yours.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Nana View Post
I can't believe His question, but shocked at your answer.
The government is paying Those People back for invading Their homeland, Yes, even Germany!
Invadeing their homeland I don't think the US ever invaded Somalia. As for invadeing Germany I guess we could have stayed out of that unpleasentness....Wonder what the world would be like today

P.S. I've been to Somalia on the Goverment ticket, the only thing I saw was lots of well fed people in town and tons of grain rotting on the docks.......

To answer the OP: Tribalism pure and simple (as I look across the street at the Halal Falal market)

Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Invadeing their homeland I don't think the US ever invaded Somalia. As for invadeing Germany I guess we could have stayed out of that unpleasentness....Wonder what the world would be like today

P.S. I've been to Somalia on the Goverment ticket, the only thing I saw was lots of well fed people in town and tons of grain rotting on the docks.......

To answer the OP: Tribalism pure and simple (as I look across the street at the Halal Falal market)
It is true that Hmong army did support US agenda in the Vietnam War that was led by the CIA. After the US troops left, there was retaliation against the Hmong. Many were killed and many others were forced into remote areas of the mountians to live. I believe the reference to "paying them back" was probably meant as a reference to this.

I think the Somalia thing is more difficult to understand. Tribal thing has to play a factor and as a group they do seem to understand the value of political pressure very well.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,964 times
1. Difference between immigrants from Germany 2 generations ago vs. Somalian Refugees: They are refugees. The US did not invade Solmalia, we offered military relief from all the genocide. It was actually a United Nations effort. Also, Germans and other Europeans who immigrated about 100 years ago came to work and helped this nation flourish into an economic and industrial powerhouse. They didn't have their hands out, they came with strong work ethics and family morals that helped build this nation what it is today. And very importantly, they learned the English Language.

2. I went to a high school that had a good number of somalian refugees and I can tell you they weren't pleasant to be around. I always felt bad because of the situation they were in, but they were full aware of how to speak the english language, but instead would talk behind our backs in their native tongue. It also was a little tough knowing they were getting a nice setup courtesy of the U.S. Government that my family paid taxes to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: