Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM

166 posts, read 391,101 times

Advertisements

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar,
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war,

I'm going to Graceland
Graceland
In Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland,

Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland,
My traveling companion is nine years old
He is the child of my first marriage,
But I've reason to believe
We both will be received
In Graceland,

She comes back to tell me she's gone,
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed,
As if I'd never noticed,
The way she brushed her hair from her forehead,
And she said losing love
Is like a window in your heart,
Everybody sees you're blown apart,
Everybody sees the wind blow,

I'm going to Graceland,
Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland,
Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland,

And my traveling companions
Are ghosts and empty sockets
I'm looking at ghosts and empties,
But I've reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland,

There is a girl in New York City,
Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying
Or tumbling in turmoil I say
Whoa so this is what she means,
She means we're bouncing into Graceland,
And I see losing love
Is like a window in your heart,
Everybody sees you're blown apart,
Everybody feels the wind blow,

In Graceland Graceland,
I'm going to Graceland,
For reasons I cannot explain
There's some part of me wants to see
Graceland,
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland

(Pause)

Woah in graceland graceland graceland
i'm going to graceland

No i'm not moving there but a nice going away song.
or may be "sweet home Alabama" hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
I agree! Georgia and the surroundings south east states have more forests than MN which is actually classified as a prairie grass land. I love the tall pine trees, the clay soil and the amount of rains they get in summer. I didn't care for the way people drive , the traffic jam, that ubiquitous plant that covers over trees (forgot the name) and the snakes supposedly have them in plenty.
Roughly 40% of Minnesota is classified as prairie/grassland. The remainder is forest - part northern boreal, part eastern deciduous.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,867,851 times
They go where it is warmer, Alaska!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,657,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
They go where it is warmer, Alaska!

Wow! The heat index is 103 here right now. If it is warmer in Alaska, it must be hell on earth up there

Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
I agree! Georgia and the surroundings south east states have more forests than MN which is actually classified as a prairie grass land. I love the tall pine trees, the clay soil and the amount of rains they get in summer. I didn't care for the way people drive , the traffic jam, that ubiquitous plant that covers over trees (forgot the name) and the snakes supposedly have them in plenty.
Ah. That would be kudzu.

kudzu - Google Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratka Ridge View Post
Minnesota has a lot of appealing qualities to me, particularly in culture and society. But the natural world of the mountains and the desert won me over.
Interesting elements of nature appeal to different people.

I don't care about the desert, but mountains are beautiful. Still, I'm currently in Montana and am moving back to my homestate Wisconsin in a couple of months. (Very near the Minnesota border and the Twin Cities.)

Lakes and greenery are where it's at for me. Mountains are pretty, but I miss the abundance of water and the abundance of green. Lakes and trees (not just pine.... which is the majority of what there is in my current state) do something more for my psyche than anything else. I would love if Wisconsin and Minnesota had some mountains. But like the guy in the Pepcid commercials says, "Sometimes you gotta make compromises, man."

Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know wildfires are a natural phenomenon. However, the risk for wildfires in the Southwest is far greater than the Upper Midwest or the Northeast.
I have always lived in humid climates with lots of precipitation for the most part, and I just don't do well in a semi-arid climate.
That's where I live now, in a very dry climate. Great Falls, Montana. I don't think the locals or people who've lived here their whole lives know any different, but other transplants I've talked to.... they agree it's very dry. The lady taking my driver's license picture said it's the driest place she's ever lived.

The only time I've ever really experienced humidity here is walking down by the Missouri River early in the morning in June. But... that tapers off in the day. Both dry and humid climates have their good and bad points. I think I prefer the moisture too. I was back in Minnesota/Wisconsin just a few years ago for a visit and kept saying all day "look how soft my skin still is!" Just wasn't used to it anymore.

Between the two, I think I like the moisture. I find the dryness feels kinda gross to me after a while. And then throw living on a dusty road on top of that.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
Arizona and Florida seem to be the most popular. A lot of twenty-somethings seem to be ending up in Denver lately.
My family is from Northern Wisconsin/Minnesota and I have a cousin in his mid-20s who just moved down to Denver from Rochester, MN. And his younger brother is about to follow soon. (I think he's a little lost without his bro.) I have a feeling we might just have a little Colorado-based branch of our extended family in 10 years...

Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,256 times
A few years ago I moved out of Minnesota to Montgomery County, Maryland, just north of Washington DC. The spring and fall seasons are long and gorgeous, the winter is an occasional nuisance with 20" snowfalls that stop everything, then melt the next day. But the summers, damn, they go on for ever! From Memorial Day to the end of September it's consistently hot, muggy, and unpleasant - 97 degrees and 97% humidity. The District of Columbia was built on a malarial swamp, land the local landowners didn't want, so they gave Washington and Jefferson a great deal on marginal property. Mosquitoes, lobbyists and politics (derivation: "poly"=many, "tics"=blood sucking parasites). Man was I happy to come back to Minnesota.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM

256 posts, read 664,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
My family is from Northern Wisconsin/Minnesota and I have a cousin in his mid-20s who just moved down to Denver from Rochester, MN. And his younger brother is about to follow soon. (I think he's a little lost without his bro.) I have a feeling we might just have a little Colorado-based branch of our extended family in 10 years...
I LOVE Denver. I'd say out of my class of 160 or so, at least 20 have ended up there. After a lot of research, it is probably one of the only other places I would love to move other than Minnesota. This state has a hold on me, though. I'm actually considering a move to Rochester. I just love the lakes and everything about this state (no matter how crazy I am feeling by Feb) too much to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota