Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 AM

114 posts, read 535,436 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading and searching in CD but haven't found this information. Does anyone know of neighborhood associations that have shared lake or river frontage? I saw one home advertised with this type of deal north of Stillwater.

"Small association of homes, all sharing a common beach/boat dock area"

This sounds ideal for our family situation. While we want to be close to a river or lake, we don't want to be directly on the river or lake and I love the idea of living in an association of homes where things are well-kept and the expense is shared. Does anyone know of these types of neighborhood associations that have common use of a boatable river or lake in the TC area?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 AM

250 posts, read 992,012 times
There are quite a few. Are you partial to a certain area? I am aware of a very nice one in the Waconia area.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM

We're looking at Washington County because we've heard good things about the county (from city-data mainly). We will need county special services for our soon-to-be adult disabled son. If other counties have excellent service, I'd love to hear about them and the areas where they offer association type neighborhoods.

We want a lake or river where we can jet ski (3-person jet ski with our disabled son sandwiched in the middle) and have my husband row crew in the early mornings. We also want a fairly quiet area. Not apartment blocks which brings the number of folks to the area very high, very quickly. We'd like the association to have a beach that belongs to a group of homes. We can't realistically live on the water because of our son (a regular Houdini) but would still like to have the ability to have my husband place his crew boat in the water each morning or a dock where you can rent or you get assigned a spot as part of your association dues. This will be our retirement home so we'd like to find a neighborhood with active folks but not necessarily a retirement community, but that would be fine too.

We're going to visit the Twin Cities in April and I'd like to drive around specific areas, to get an idea of what we're reading about (to see 'the lay of the land'). By map I think that the St. Croix, Mississippi and Prior Lake are the areas that make the most sense (we have relatives south of the TC, towards Winona and Rochester). But we're open to most anything. I looked at a map of Waconia and it doesn't look too far away but south or southeast of the TC makes more sense (and would rank higher in my mind, all things being equal).

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM

37 posts, read 106,928 times
Hey oconnorcm3 - I just looked at a house on East Lake Jefferson (near Mankato) that happened to be accessible! . . which is why it wasn't for us. Contact the realitor Century 21 in Elysian. The landscape is fairly accessible too. Very quiet neighborhood. Last night KEYC tv (mankato) showed a quip on accessible ski programs so they have a lot of activities for people with disabilities in the area. The cottage was very sunny and warm the day we saw it.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 AM

But, but I'd have to research a whole new area! I've been keeping my research limited to the Twin Cities and Rochester area. I moved out of Minnesota when I finished university and I'm now old and gray.

Mankato? Huh? What's Mankato like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota