Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM

62 posts, read 173,064 times

Advertisements

I guess the friendliness is a matter of experience AND opinion. Most of the people I have met in my three years here have this cold dead look 24/7 and are far from friendly. I know it's cold and all, but good grief.

I also agree with everyone about how hard it is to meet people here. Native Minnesotans that have lived elsewhere or are in the entertainment scene are much easier to meet and make friendships with. The ones that have never lived anywhere but here, forget about it.

Good
1. four true seasons (beautiful)
2. lots of outdoor activities year round
3. decent paying jobs
4. nice art, nice music and artists (now these are some people to make friends with) I have found them to be the easiest to approach

Bad
1. cliquish people with a few ice chips on their shoulders
2. VERY expensive OLD housing
3. people in management positions that shouldn't be
4. where are the fine "brothers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
Thumbs up 4 reasons to live in paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Give me 4 good reasons a person would want to move to Minnesota and call that state there home.

Or 4 reasons I would not like to live in Minnesota.
You don't say anything about yourself do you expect logic will prevail?
I've lived all over the country and traveling is what I do. The first impression realized when starting a new life in MN is the folks here don't know what crime is ; I'm speaking of average towns in rural MN or say 60 miles from Minneapolis / St. paul. In comparison to say Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, L.A., Chicago etc.. Actually within one hours driving time from St. Paul if a poll where taken in some of the small towns many folks wouldn't be able to find their house key in five minutes, uh ya know out of sight out of mind.
I live in a small rural town, and had been concerned about gosip and such in small communities but what I noticed is very friendly, Minnesotans insist on privacy.
No murders recorded in my town the last 50 years, last year one auto accident when tree limb fell on pick-up, teach em to park in the garage eh? I know my neighbors they are driving the six or seven cars that travel to and fro on my street every day. Children are free to be young people and enjoy the variety of discovery big town kids lack. We have grass lawns without irigation some summers the sky doesn't drop as much rain so you only mow every two weeks it's tough to take yeper. Wind is constant average eight miles per hour but in town the buildings and trees break it and is very pleasant having freash air always. I have relatives in more moderate climes that chide me about winter but they don't go out side much when the temperature is less than 30° either so what's the beef!
You want a clean quite life the kind found in old T.V. shows "My three son's or Leave it to beaver" etc.. You want rad night clubs etc. drive sixty miles to the rat race but stay at the motel so you don't hurt anyone driving home.
Last year my neighbor knowing I was due home that evening plowed the two feet of snow from my drive cause he knew I wouldn't expect it. Oh yes! snow blowers are great fun like mowing the drive way, ha! Some folks put the electric cable down then cover with asphalt with thermostat and some kind of gadget that can sense moisture so when snow or ice are possible the cable warms the drive way and presto no slip'n slide!
Winter is a concern so be intelligent, consult the locals be prepared ya know "proper prior planning".
I'd consider a second home in a more moderate climate but for full time living I wouldn't anywhere else than SW MN.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessinmn View Post
3. Most people are not as nice as the saying goes. Most drivers are just as rude as any other place that I've been. I have met some VERY nice people here but people are very slow to let you in, if they ever do. I can't say that I've made any "friends" but I know a lot of friendly people.
I think part of the problem is that many (most?) of the folks in the Twin Cities were born there and already have a network of established friendships and such. I know a lot of my friends up there are folks I've known for 15-20 years (since college), and it's sometimes hard to break into a group like that unless you have a lot in common with them, and even then you might feel like a fifth wheel.

Just a thought, anyway...

Old 11-22-2006, 02:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrewer View Post
1. Christmas displays
2. nice summer
3. great fishing
4. good dirt
Heh. I like #4 -- you don't know what you're missing until you live somewhere where everything is either clay or sand and its color is ORANGE. What's with that? I thought dirt was supposed to be dark brown or black, but not in Georgia... :-)

Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I am going to go with the four bad reasons not to live in Minnesota. The winters are to long, the cold is to extreem for me, the mosquitoes eat you alive in the summer, and the humidity for summer and winter suck because it is either to hot or to cold, never a happy medium.
The biggest reason not to live in Minnesota is the high taxes, they just don't seem to give us a break.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:05 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Minnesota has four seasons?! Um, yeah, if you consider a 2-day long Spring and 2-week long Fall a season . But otherwise, I would say

Good
1) Good quality of life
2) LOTS of cultural activities (there must be half dozen theatres in downtown Mpls alone)
3) Great restaurants
4) Great shopping - NO SALES TAX on clothes!

Bad
1) Very high taxes - which pay for the good quality of life
2) 6-8 months of winter with freezing temperatures and snow that never seems to melt
3) Incredibly bad drivers. No, it has to be said, Minnesota drivers routinely get bad reviews on that.
4) High rents and property prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota