U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2009, 05:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,491,667 times

Advertisements

Minnesota has more liberal ( $$$) welfare benefits than the state Obama was a senator from ( Illinois)

Many people relocating because of Minnesota's overly generous welfare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 15,381 times
Its (almost) official, Pawlenty is running in 2012. I don't think he will be getting too far though. Either way, where I am in Minneapolis (Keith Ellison territory - first (and only I believe) Muslim elected to the House) its definitely blue, and I like it that way. I don't know much about how Minnesota responds to disabled citizens needs, but I have heard the unemployment and welfare is pretty good. I would like to think you would not experience racism, but it is unfortunately a rather segregated city, with an extremely homogenous large white population, and some not as friendly boonie towns/exurbs nearby. I have had interracial friends from milwaukee/chicago area say they did not want to move here because they felt they would stick out too much. All that said, I imagine you might face that in a lot of places in the midwest at least, and Minneapolis/St. Paul proper is pretty accepting, liberal and has some good things going for it. Just not the weather.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM

744 posts, read 783,106 times
Speaking of T-Paw's plans in running for Prez in 2012, hope he looses! I'd rather see Jindal make it out of the Repug primaries since he seems fairly centrist.

Imagine having Obama vs Jindal in 2012? That would be NUTS! :P

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

432 posts, read 707,811 times
To be completely honest, I would love to live in a red, white and blue state and not so much a red versus blue state. I also don't believe that all Dems are leftys, all Reps are rightys either( in North Carolina last election, Lindsay Graham's Democratic opponent was the strict constitutionalist-libertarian candidate). I strongly encourage helping others and being charitable, but I don't believe that it should be forced on us by government. We ought to return to the Constitution and let the states decide what their laws should be. The United States is a constitutional republic and not a direct democracy-the states are the democracies! If I could sell my house, I would leave Minnesota in a heartbeat and move to a more free state! Also, I dont understand it when the Left calls the conservative/libertarians "selfish", "mean spirited", "angry", etc. I have found that leftists are very angry and more condemning, just by debating them to the point where it is difficult to be friends with a lot of them.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:25 PM

3,872 posts, read 3,333,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
to be completely honest, i would love to live in a red, white and blue state and not so much a red versus blue state. I also don't believe that all dems are leftys, all reps are rightys either( in north carolina last election, lindsay graham's democratic opponent was the strict constitutionalist-libertarian candidate). I strongly encourage helping others and being charitable, but i don't believe that it should be forced on us by government. We ought to return to the constitution and let the states decide what their laws should be. The united states is a constitutional republic and not a direct democracy-the states are the democracies! If i could sell my house, i would leave minnesota in a heartbeat and move to a more free state! Also, i dont understand it when the left calls the conservative/libertarians "selfish", "mean spirited", "angry", etc. I have found that leftists are very angry and more condemning, just by debating them to the point where it is difficult to be friends with a lot of them.
+1.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 PM

989 posts, read 1,895,599 times
Quote:
To be completely honest, I would love to live in a red, white and blue state and not so much a red versus blue state. I also don't believe that all Dems are leftys, all Reps are rightys either( in North Carolina last election, Lindsay Graham's Democratic opponent was the strict constitutionalist-libertarian candidate). I strongly encourage helping others and being charitable, but I don't believe that it should be forced on us by government. We ought to return to the Constitution and let the states decide what their laws should be. The United States is a constitutional republic and not a direct democracy-the states are the democracies! If I could sell my house, I would leave Minnesota in a heartbeat and move to a more free state! Also, I dont understand it when the Left calls the conservative/libertarians "selfish", "mean spirited", "angry", etc. I have found that leftists are very angry and more condemning, just by debating them to the point where it is difficult to be friends with a lot of them.

Red, White and Blue - awesome

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,055,796 times
Quote:

Preferring to get more "personal" with my charity, rather than letting some faceless, soulless government do it, doesn't make me a bad person.

I like Minnesota, and I love Duluth, but I would have a hard time convincing myself to move there. It's unfortunate, because my wife has a small business that would be perfect for a place like that. The taxes themselves would be enough of a deterrent, though.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:24 PM

30 posts, read 62,077 times
Pawlenty is no conservative. If you're not being accepted it's not JUST because the state you live in is a republican state. I live in a small liberal town in MN (Kimball) and my family has not been accepted or even treated great. Sometimes, some people just don't like each other. You're implying that everyone in your whole state doesn't like you because its 51% republican. Grow up.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM

30 posts, read 62,077 times
I really hope Pawlenty doesn't go far. I really don't wanna run another McCain again. Tim is a mini-McCain.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM

10,154 posts, read 14,954,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2882 View Post
Its (almost) official, Pawlenty is running in 2012. I don't think he will be getting too far though. Either way, where I am in Minneapolis (Keith Ellison territory - first (and only I believe) Muslim elected to the House) its definitely blue, and I like it that way. I don't know much about how Minnesota responds to disabled citizens needs, but I have heard the unemployment and welfare is pretty good. I would like to think you would not experience racism, but it is unfortunately a rather segregated city, with an extremely homogenous large white population, and some not as friendly boonie towns/exurbs nearby. I have had interracial friends from milwaukee/chicago area say they did not want to move here because they felt they would stick out too much. All that said, I imagine you might face that in a lot of places in the midwest at least, and Minneapolis/St. Paul proper is pretty accepting, liberal and has some good things going for it. Just not the weather.
Your interracial friends don't want to move to Minneapolis because they'll stick out? I think they may be a bit paranoid, unless they are planning on living in an exurb, in which case their fears are more valid (not that there's necessarily racism out there, but they certainly are mostly filled with white people) I fully acknowledge that the Twin Cities as a whole are pretty white, and parts of Minneapolis are fairly segregated, but it also does have a long-established national reputation for being a very friendly place towards interracial couples and their children. Growing up many of my friends had parents of different races, and now that I'm older many of my Mpls friends have married people of different ethnicities/races. It also has a reputation as being friendly towards gay/lesbian parents and families, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota