Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM

49 posts, read 138,407 times

Advertisements

Yes. Both parties use the military fallen as props when it suits their political convenience. That is a sad fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM

1,934 posts, read 5,813,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
Pawlenty ought to be involved in the affairs of the Minnesota National Guard.

Constitutionally, though perhaps not practically, he's supposed to be their commander, not the feds.

However, yes, this trip is clearly posturing for a presidential run.
My whole point when saying it has nothing to do with him or his office was under the context of funding streams. All National Guard funds come directly from federal streams; overseas gubernatorial trips come directly from the Minnesota taxpayer. Considering that Pawlenty just made some of the most drastic overarching (and possibly unconstitutional) budget moves in MN if not US gubernatorial history, it seems pretty hypocritical of him to be taking expensive self-interested trips on the taxpayer's dime right now. Unless of course he's already dipping into campaign/ private interest funds, but regardless, I pay his salary and I find his use of "office time" to be frivolous considering the crisis our state is in.

And if Pawlenty is so interested in the welfare of the National Guard, why don't I remember hearing him speak up with the rest of the country's governors when its funding was on the chopping block? Answer: because he's a party boy.

This was an interesting blurb on this topic: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...experience.php

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 07-21-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,238,402 times
I completely agree because in our current system he has no control over them once they are deployed.

The National Guard should never be deployed outside of the state and they should NEVER be under the command of any part of the Federal Government. If the feds need more soldiers deployed internationally, whatever; they need to increase army size, NOT call on the National Guard. That's not their purpose.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 AM

9,685 posts, read 11,093,142 times
Thanks for the 2nd link Camden. It seems that my gut feel wasn't too far from the truth (Pawlenty is extracting as much foreign experience out of these trips as possible). But it is a Heck of a lot worse than I ever imagined. Now I learn he went to the Munich Security Conference?? It seems he has been busy p_ssing away our money for a long time!

If he runs, he lost my vote and any possible campaign contributions. It seems he talks out of both sides of his mouth like nearly all of the politicians. How come no one is outraged? Republicans are supposedly fiscally responsible. I don't hear them complaining. Where is the front page STRIB article???

Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 AM

989 posts, read 2,955,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for the 2nd link Camden. It seems that my gut feel wasn't too far from the truth (Pawlenty is extracting as much foreign experience out of these trips as possible). But it is a Heck of a lot worse than I ever imagined. Now I learn he went to the Munich Security Conference?? It seems he has been busy p_ssing away our money for a long time!

If he runs, he lost my vote and any possible campaign contributions. It seems he talks out of both sides of his mouth like nearly all of the politicians. How come no one is outraged? Republicans are supposedly fiscally responsible. I don't hear them complaining. Where is the front page STRIB article???
Sounds like TV media is on this now. Have not seen the paper today. Might be in there soon.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Sounds like TV media is on this now. Have not seen the paper today. Might be in there soon.

I've been doing some googling on the topic. From The Fix - Pawlenty's Broadening Palette

The trip to Germany comes less than two months after Pawlenty traveled to Israel for a week -- the stated purpose of which was to explore trade opportunities for Minnesota businesses.

So now he is drumming up "trade" with Israel on our dime? Call a spade a spade. The Governor is spending our state money to run for the President and he is claiming anything he can to rationalize it. Generally speaking, Minnesotans have a lot of common sense. The majority of rational people will turn on him if the press does a good job giving an overview. I'd love to interview him on camera. Don't we have any reporters out there with a spine?

A part of me wonders if the Strib is nervous to report anti Republican view points because they are constantly being accused of being biased. They cannot afford to lose anymore subscriptions. If they were more balanced to start with maybe they could do their job.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,323,801 times
Quote:
A part of me wonders if the Strib is nervous to report anti Republican view points because they are constantly being accused of being biased. They cannot afford to lose anymore subscriptions. If they were more balanced to start with maybe they could do their job.
News is news, the Strib should have no reason to be nervous about releasing a news story, after all that is what newspapers do. Honestly I think it is ridiculous that they received the label as being liberal in the first place. It's overly paranoid conversatives that throw around labels like that, usually without any merit. Just because a newspaper/radio station chooses to cover stories beyond those related to war/crime/church/sports/money doesn't mean it's liberal.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
News is news, the Strib should have no reason to be nervous about releasing a news story, after all that is what newspapers do. Honestly I think it is ridiculous that they received the label as being liberal in the first place. It's overly paranoid conversatives that throw around labels like that, usually without any merit. Just because a newspaper/radio station chooses to cover stories beyond those related to war/crime/church/sports/money doesn't mean it's liberal.
You are not alone Slig. A lot of people think the media bias is a farce. But I do see a relationship.

Allow me to explain my theory. For whatever reason, there are correlations that exist to a person's political persuasion. Religious folks on average are more conservative. At the same token, the academia community is more liberal minded. We can dig deeper into each subset and give an explanation. So my theory is if you get a check from the government for your salary you tend on evolving into a more liberal mindset. Never mind that public funding pays for the building and the public subsidizes students tuition. When you see positives out of government spending (as well as negatives out of cuts) it will solidify your liberal bigger government view point.

Generally speaking, business owners on average are conservative. They don't like government red tape and don't appreciate everyone reaching in their pockets. When the business owner sees waste, they know statistically they are wasting more of their money than the guy who makes less. It's not hard to find waste with government spending so this solidifies a person's conservative view point. I can go on and on as to which group has a conservative mind set versus a liberal bent and why.

Would you agree that for whatever reason, the art community tends on priding themselves on being more open minded and progressive (a.k.a. being more liberal)??? I propose that a writer is also a form of an artist; an artist of words. So generally speaking, writers or creative types and they error on a more liberal mindset. The key word is on average.

From Liberal Media Evidence
"Since 1962, there have been 11 surveys of the media that sought the political views of hundreds of journalists. In 1971, they were 53 percent liberal, 17 percent conservative. In a 1976 survey of the Washington press corps, it was 59 percent liberal, 18 percent conservative. A 1985 poll of 3,200 reporters found them to be self-identified as 55 percent liberal, 17 percent conservative. In 1996, another survey of Washington journalists pegged the breakdown as 61 percent liberal, 9 percent conservative. Now, the new study by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found the national media to be 34 percent liberal and 7 percent conservative." In these surveys, the missing percentage gaps call themselves "moderates".

It's tough to completely remove your bias when you write. Additionally, even if you can write without a bias, you will find yourself writing about more interesting topics that are interesting and important to the author like global warming, poverty, civil rights etc.

Also. MN happens to be more liberal on average and a more liberal person might want to buy a more liberally minded paper. So if the goal is to sell more papers, you might want to cover more liberal view points on average.

Speaking of liberal view points. See StarTribune.com: Breaking news, video, blogs and more from Minneapolis, St. Paul and around Minnesota

At 7:30 AM, here were the titles.

1.) Pregnant Champlin Officer had to take pay cut. (no longer a Union job).
2.) State GOP wants to probe Ellison's Pilgrimage.
3.) Minnesota gets a taste of the stimulus relief. (How the stimulus plan is helping).
4.) MANSCAPING. How shaving isn't for gay men anymore and is turning into a trend.
5.) Hecker's friend told to give up her $60K fur coat.

No. It's not a glaring bias. But the Strib is liberal leaning. For me, it is just another data point. The Liberal bias is talked about way to much but there is something to it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,323,801 times
Quote:
At 7:30 AM, here were the titles.
1.) Pregnant Champlin Officer had to take pay cut. (no longer a Union job).
2.) State GOP wants to probe Ellison's Pilgrimage.
3.) Minnesota gets a taste of the stimulus relief. (How the stimulus plan is helping).
4.) MANSCAPING. How shaving isn't for gay men anymore and is turning into a trend.
5.) Hecker's friend told to give up her $60K fur coat.
Right, and if you try really hard you can twist any story to lean a certain way:
1. Pregnant Champlin Officer had to take pay cut - mentions union in one sentence (does saying the word "union" automatically make something liberal? The focus was on the negative externality of city budget cuts due to economic recession/alleged infraction of organization's treatment of LOA policy.

2. State GOP wants to probe Ellison's Pilgrimage - the article is about the GOP party calling Ellison out for taking money from non-profit organizations receiving state funds for personal trips, so wait, how is that liberal? If that article leans any direction it would be conservative, no?

3. Minnesota gets taste of stimulus relief - the subtitle says "Projects in Minnesota are taking off, but will the millions spent give the economy a lasting boost?" So right off the bat there are questions raised if it will have any positive effect on the economy. We haven't even gotten to the body of the article yet and already they have shown both sides of it.

4. Manscaping - Come on dude, you had to grab for the fashion section? If you think fashion trends lean left then what do conservatives do, dress up like American settlers of the 18th century? Give me a break.

Let's be serious, I just got done saying that I think those claims were driven by overly paranoid conservatives throwing around labels without merit. Please try a little harder not to support my points.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM

1,934 posts, read 5,813,916 times
Quote:

No. It's not a glaring bias. But the Strib is liberal leaning. For me, it is just another data point. The Liberal bias is talked about way to much but there is something to it.
I agree with you that there's likely more liberals that become journalists than conservatives, I think the field is just more attractive to a certain "type" and journalists tend to have a fair amount of education (am not making a slight here, just going off studies that show that the higher level of postsecondary education someone achieves, the more likely they are to be liberal-leaning). All those "moderate" percentages, however, seemed really high to me.

What I really agree with you on, though, is that "the liberal bias" is talked about way too much- I would argue that it's talked about SO much that even the liberal journalists have come to view "liberalism" as a dirty word and become so afraid to look or be portrayed as liberally biased that they overcompensate and swing the other way, or just don't report on important news stories for fear of looking like they might be biased in their reporting- it's like mccarthyism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota