Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis schools applied for special consideration to start school before Labor Day because there is a law on the books that schools have to start after Labor Day. Since LD is so late this year it puts the fall standardized testing 3 weeks after schools start so some of the underachieving schools applied for early start so they could have the kids in school a week longer before testing. Most districts put together 2 calendars this past winter in hopes that the state legislature would grant a general amnesty for districts to start before LD, it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Minneapolis schools applied for special consideration to start school before Labor Day because there is a law on the books that schools have to start after Labor Day. Since LD is so late this year it puts the fall standardized testing 3 weeks after schools start so some of the underachieving schools applied for early start so they could have the kids in school a week longer before testing. Most districts put together 2 calendars this past winter in hopes that the state legislature would grant a general amnesty for districts to start before LD, it didn't happen.
You had to weasel in a cheapshot at the Minneapolis schools didn't you? If that truly is the main reason for the push to start early (which I have not seen cited anywhere on the web) then I suppose these schools are doing it for that very same reason?

2009-10 school year begins, Monday, Aug. 31 | Hopkins School District #270

http://www.slpschools.org/pdfs/keydates.pdf (broken link)

Fergus Falls Public Schools to begin classes before Labor Day | Fergus Forum (http://fergusforum.com/2009/04/08/fergus-falls-public-schools-to-begin-classes-before-labor-day/ - broken link)

Academic Calendar for 2009-2010

Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Yup, if anyone bothers to check those links ( Fergus Falls and Hopkins ) they would have seen they were allowed to start early due to--construction projects--

Seems that was mentioned in an earlier post by someone

Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yup, if anyone bothers to check those links ( Fergus Falls and Hopkins ) they would have seen they were allowed to start early due to--construction projects--

Seems that was mentioned in an earlier post by someone
exactly my point.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You had to weasel in a cheapshot at the Minneapolis schools didn't you? If that truly is the main reason for the push to start early (which I have not seen cited anywhere on the web) then I suppose these schools are doing it for that very same reason?

2009-10 school year begins, Monday, Aug. 31 | Hopkins School District #270

http://www.slpschools.org/pdfs/keydates.pdf (broken link)

Fergus Falls Public Schools to begin classes before Labor Day | Fergus Forum (http://fergusforum.com/2009/04/08/fergus-falls-public-schools-to-begin-classes-before-labor-day/ - broken link)

Academic Calendar for 2009-2010
I was all over the Trib for the past 6 months WHY Minneapolis wanted an earlier start. Since you seem to have so much time to look these things up, do some research--they are starting so the kids have more time in school for testing. It wasn't a cheep shot-it is fact. The underperforming schools in Minneapolis can't afford for the kids to do worse on the tests since they are already on the hit list for NCLB.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I was all over the Trib for the past 6 months WHY Minneapolis wanted an earlier start. Since you seem to have so much time to look these things up, do some research--they are starting so the kids have more time in school for testing. It wasn't a cheep shot-it is fact. The underperforming schools in Minneapolis can't afford for the kids to do worse on the tests since they are already on the hit list for NCLB.
Panel says no early start for state's schools

They cited construction projects as the reason for moving the start day before Labor Day.

http://www.startribune.com/local/40295502.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU (broken link)

Once again the reason given is juggling construction maintenance. The district mentions that it cause them to lose a week before testing but does not use that as a reason for the request to push it back.

http://www.startribune.com/local/40190587.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU (broken link)

Here it is mentioned with several other reasons for wanting to request the change.

I'm not saying you're wrong but it is upsetting that you seem to try so hard to pick out the bad aspects of certain areas and praise to high heaven other areas. There is no way to tell how many people who know nothing about the metro area see your advice that said area is awful while other said area is excellent even though in reality the difference between the two areas is small and probably hardly noticeable. I think you need to be more careful and try to tell the whole story, not just pick out little bad things that only make up part of the story. In the downtown commute topic you made a very strong statement that northern metro traffic is "far worse" than southern suburb traffic. Anybody who lives in the metro area knows that it is impossible to uniformly describe overall traffic from a certain direction since it covers a huge area and hundreds of roads. Also, "far worse" is an uncessesarily strongly negative phrase that wasn't at all appropriate. I'm not trying to defend the northern suburbs, I'm personally not even a fan of them but I see this gross display of misinformation and feel obligated to step in and clear things up. The reason being to prevent people from completely eliminating a huge chunk of the metro area from their search due to an inaccurate statement based on one person's hugely biased opinion (face it, you're a diehard southern suburbs and Rosemount backer). I will fully disclose the experiences I've had in various suburbs and describe the positive and negative, but overall positive exeriences I've had living in the city. Half the time though I'm defending places I don't even like just because you spend so much time unfairly trashing them (Burnsville, Shakopee, Woodbury, Richfield, the northern suburbs in general, etc.) and try hard not to step in when you have exaggerated praise to places like Chaska, Rosemount, Stillwater, Hastings, and Northfield.

To wrap up my rant, feel free to continue providing your opinions and insights but please disclose all facts involved and try to be careful with your wording and fully citing your sources for facts given or when you are simply providing a personal opinion. I just want this forum to serve as a useful tool to help people find the place to live that best suits them and to have their questions answered in the most unbiased manner possible. I will also do my best to try and remain as unbiased as possible. That is all.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 08-06-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Panel says no early start for state's schools

They cited construction projects as the reason for moving the start day before Labor Day.
Yup !

( from the link)-------"The district, which has started classes before Labor Day twice in the past decade, cited the need to juggle construction projects as the reason for the early start "

I think golfgal is getting confused with the arguements presented to the legislature before they made their decisioin.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Will Minneapolis school bells ring before Labor Day? (http://www.startribune.com/local/40190587.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)

Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Will Minneapolis school bells ring before Labor Day? (http://www.startribune.com/local/40190587.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU - broken link)
Please read my last post, I don't want to repeat myself.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
In the Milaca School District starts Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota