U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM

3,970 posts, read 9,248,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Though Favre has never been much of a mentor, it can't hurt these other QB's having him around. It's obvious this is a huge positive for the team all around. A team is going no where without a big time QB - Favre is just that.

And it isnt his job to be a mentor.

It should be up to Tjack and Sagey to pay attention to what he does. That's what eager, smart atheletes do.

When I was in 10th grade, we had a senior stud on our baseball team. He was getting recruited and scouted and went on to do great things in college and did for a bit in the Minors.

I played the same position as this guy, and everyday we practiced i watched what he did, and how he did it. when games came around, i studied his mannerisms, his swing, and how he went about the game..

I feel like doing so directly contributed to my success and my improvement as a player...

I know, I know, dumb comparison, but Sagey and TJack should be listening and doing everything they can
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 AM

10,244 posts, read 15,399,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
the 2000 team was pretty doggone good too. They got to the Championship game as well.. But, if you remember they lost 41-0. ouch.

What about Darren Nelson in 88'? Dropped touchdown catch that would have secured a Super Bowl appearance.
I would argue that the 1999 team was better than the 2000 team. I never felt confident with Daunte Culpepper as our quarterback. Jeff George on the other hand, was ridiculously good in 1999. Our defense was still above average in 1998 but they pretty much stunk and had to rely on the offense for both the 1999 and 2000 seasons from my recollection. I never saw the Darren Nelson dropped touchdown catch. If I remember right that happened during the strike season so it's hard to really evaluate that team.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

23,783 posts, read 27,302,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
the 2000 team was pretty doggone good too. They got to the Championship game as well.. But, if you remember they lost 41-0. ouch.

What about Darren Nelson in 88'? Dropped touchdown catch that would have secured a Super Bowl appearance.
Darrin Nelson has long been viewed undeservedly as the villian for this play. I too remember this play and even at the time, I thought that had he caught the ball, he would not have made it into the end-zone because of the coverage and the location of the pass. In checking this out it appears Anthony Carter botched route ran his defender into Nelson who had beat his coverage.

Also, the TD that may have resulted would simply have tied the game and certainly not guarantee that a Redskin score in the final minute or OT loss could have ensued.

If you want to blame somebody, blame AC and not Disco Darrin. Check out the video of the play in this link...

I'm Sorry, Darrin Nelson - 1987 NFC Championship Game | Twin Cities, Minnesota Blog

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM

11,332 posts, read 24,958,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've watched pretty much every Vikings game since week 1 of 1989 and by far the best team I saw was the 1998 team. I don't think I've ever been so upset in my life than I was when we lost to the Falcons in the NFC Championship game.
I agree that game was a painful game for the Vikings to lose. And for me to watch.

It's ironic that I'm down here in Atlanta now, and actually fond of the Falcons and their new quarterback. Matty Ice is very good. I wish he was a Viking.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I would argue that the 1999 team was better than the 2000 team. I never felt confident with Daunte Culpepper as our quarterback. Jeff George on the other hand, was ridiculously good in 1999. Our defense was still above average in 1998 but they pretty much stunk and had to rely on the offense for both the 1999 and 2000 seasons from my recollection. I never saw the Darren Nelson dropped touchdown catch. If I remember right that happened during the strike season so it's hard to really evaluate that team.

I was just having a Conversation with a buddy about Vikings Quarterbacks. He had claimed that ALL of our quaterbacks have been awful..Then we found a list of

Dante Culpepper
Brad Johnson
Jeff George
Randall Cunningham
Warren Moon
Gus Ferrotte

All of which were very good to pretty decent.

YouTube - Redskins Vikings 87 Championship Game (last play)

I guess it was a tough play, but still... Another Vikings moment

Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Darrin Nelson has long been viewed undeservedly as the villian for this play. I too remember this play and even at the time, I thought that had he caught the ball, he would not have made it into the end-zone because of the coverage and the location of the pass. In checking this out it appears Anthony Carter botched route ran his defender into Nelson who had beat his coverage.

Also, the TD that may have resulted would simply have tied the game and certainly not guarantee that a Redskin score in the final minute or OT loss could have ensued.

If you want to blame somebody, blame AC and not Disco Darrin. Check out the video of the play in this link...

I'm Sorry, Darrin Nelson - 1987 NFC Championship Game | Twin Cities, Minnesota Blog

I in no way, shape, or form indicate that Darren Nelson was the 'Villian'. However, it is simply known as the "Darren Nelson Drop"... Yeah, everbody knows that he probably wouldnt have made it in anyway, and that Anthony Carter probably messed the play up, but the fact is that it bounced off of Darren's hands.

The same goes for Gary Anderson, one of the best kickers to ever play the game, and sadly he will always be known for his FIRST miss of the season, a miss that eventually was the demise of the Vikings...

Of course, in 1998 you can always say that if Denny Green didnt put a knee down with a good :30 left, the Vikings could have had a shot.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,399,947 times
Not to mention guys like Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer and Wade Wilson. Tarkenton is obviously a hall of famer, but Tommy Kramer went to the pro bowl in 1986
Wade Wilson went to the pro bowl in 1988 so both had their moments.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM

23,783 posts, read 27,302,168 times
Gotta include Joe Kapp in any discussion of the great Viking's QBs. Played here but two years and he succeeded in getting the Vikes to their 1st playoff berth in '68 prior to the SB appearance in '69. Grant and Finks were so impressed with him from their CFL days that they brought him along with when they took over from Van Brocklin and after Tarkenton left in a huff. Certainly the toughest (check out that facemask) QB I have ever seen and in spite of being a bit unconventional, he consistently put up great passing numbers and still holds the record for most TDs in a game. Too bad Sir Francis didn't come close to Kapp's toughness, will-to-win or leadership abilities.

YouTube - Joe Kapp

Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM

9,803 posts, read 15,374,236 times
Ah, Joe Kapp !

The image of hm hurdling over a tackler remains ingrained.

That loss in the superbowl to the Chiefs was a shocker.

I doubt there were many people in Minnesota ( or Kansas City) who believed the Chiefs had any chance to win.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 59,153,636 times
The Vikings gave up any chance to win a superbowl as soon as they moved indoors-ok, maybe not but they are just wusses now. It just isn't the same any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota