U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times
Default Where should we go for a relaxing get away weekend out of the cities

Hey,

My wife and i are looking for somewhere different to take a small, weekend trip. We are not to picky about where, just trying to find some different activities, fun things to do, to get some ideas.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,711,931 times
For sure come on up to Duluth for the relaxing get away weekend, Its where Id head to if I did not allready live here.
Duluth has so many things to do, see, and enjoy especially in the fall. If staying in one of the hotels in Canal Park enjoy a fire in the cool of the evening while enjoying the Lake
Superior breezes.
Stroll along the Lake walk and walk around in Canal park visiting one of many of the large antique shops that are available or gift shops.
Enjoy a day hike on the Superior Hiking Trail, 40 miles of which runs through the city, while watching in wonder at the vast distant views that are offered and the spetacular color of the oaks maples birches and popal trees all along the way, so dont forget the camera.
Visit Hartley Nature Center and see all that is offered here. The North Shore is easily reached here and for about five dollars you will be able to visit many of the north shore state parks and still make it back to Duluth for the evening.
The activities that Duluth can offer is by far some of the best in the entire state many of which are unique only in this area.
Brighton Beach
The South Shore
Hawks Ridge for counting hawks is still going on as hawks mass before crossing the large lake. All this is here and more.
Boulder Lake Recreation area
Many of the over 120 city parks are easy to get to and are all within the city limits, many have the SHT crossing through them.
Enger Tower and its beautiful gardens and views
Leif Erickson Parkway for its rose and flower gardens.
Duluth has all this and much more, way more in fact than can be accomplished in a single weekend, which is why so many people choose to come here and visit time and time again.
Thanks

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM

6,745 posts, read 5,323,349 times
Duluth is a nice weekend town.
The beauty of the lake is unmatched in MN.
But there has to be something other than Duluth.
Something different and possibly quirky.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:11 PM

3,419 posts, read 4,289,154 times
I have heard Winona, Lacrosse (WI), Eau Claire (WI) Red Wing, Stillwater are all fun. Stillwater seems too close for a weekend getaway and we have driven through Red Wing - which also looks fun. It seems other than Duluth - weekend getaways arent abundant - unless you fly - then Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee etc. Oh - I hear Door county is also fun.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM

169 posts, read 313,350 times
duluth was quite fun, but i enjoyed the quietness of further up north.

we were in red wing a couple of weekends ago but didn't get to see much of it as i was there for work - we stayed at a very nice b&b though (delicious food! enough food that we didn't need lunch, including desserts!) so if you want the recommendation, let me know. we drove to the wisconsin side the next day and enjoyed stockholm and pepin. we also went to this orchard (madien rock i think?) and the people there were great - they sell wine/cider too and we had a tasting of almost everything they sell (no charge, but we bought about 6 bottles). have apple tasting too.

lanesboro is also a fun little town.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,414 times
thanks,

we hit duluth last year for the same thing, its just nice to go cruise around for a weekend. we were tossing that around again because we did enjoy it. we also talked about stillwater, or taylor falls. They all seem nice, but not being from any of these areas, we don't really know what there is to do, and travel websites really don't give you what your looking for. thanks for the input

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

237 posts, read 352,766 times
I highly recommend Bayfield, WI. It is one of my favorite places in the entire region. I live in Duluth, and we take a few trips over to Bayfield each year. We like to go before the Apple Festival to visit the orchards, pick on a nice day, and make a day of it. They also have some nice locally owned inns and motels. Very nice area for sure!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,435,930 times
Grand Rapids is nice. We like it up there. The Winona area is nice too - plus there are so many little towns in SE Minnesota that are really neat. Just drive around and check them out. There are Amish tours and caves.

In Rochester, you can check out the nature center, there's a free zoo near Byron, Mantorville is a cute town. You can tour Mayowood Mansion. There's the Olmsted County History Center. You can go to Silver Lake, Pill Hill where the doctors used to live back in the day.

I think if you really look for it, you can find stuff to do in any part of the state - of course some people would find some stuff boring or some areas boring. I personally enjoy just adventuring out where I've never been.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,711,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrips View Post
I highly recommend Bayfield, WI. It is one of my favorite places in the entire region. I live in Duluth, and we take a few trips over to Bayfield each year. We like to go before the Apple Festival to visit the orchards, pick on a nice day, and make a day of it. They also have some nice locally owned inns and motels. Very nice area for sure!
I would definately agree with you on Bayfield during the apple festival.
Take the hwy 13 all along the south shore stopping in Cornicopia and looking at the four or five old wooden fishing boats that are now rotting away slowly beached.
That old school fishing how it was done many years ago.

BUT...Before commiting to Bayfield you had better check out its water supply. As of now for about the past 4-5 days or so they have bad water, but are trying to get the problem fixed before the apple festival starts beings its such a huge money and tourist draw.
FYOI happy travels

Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 AM

20,802 posts, read 30,727,047 times
If you are going in the next couple weeks I would head down to LaCrosse, WI when the leaves are at their peak. It is beautiful there anyway but with the color changes it is amazing.

If you want to go to Stillwater, fall is a good time too. For the most part Stillwater is an area to wander around downtown, take a trolley ride around town and eat somewhere along the river. Staying at the Lowell Inn is fun but there are also several very nice Bed and Breakfast's in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota