U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM

21 posts, read 39,485 times
Default Clear Lake, Big Lake, Zimmerman, Princeton, Milaca, Foley????

For anyone who lives in one of those towns or nearby, would you recommend living there? Or would you recommend one of the other town I mentioned? We are a two income family with secure jobs, both in St Cloud. Don't mind a bit of a ride for the right town with good schools, safe environment, and perhaps walking trails.
Thanks for any opinion you want to give me. If I missed a town that you like let me know, please. Also, since we are wanting to buy a house with some acreage letting me know about what it is like "outside of town" would also be appreciated.
Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM

3,737 posts, read 4,867,990 times
Those all seem like great towns for working in St. Cloud....

I have nothing bad to say about them... Foley is only about 10 minutes from St. Cloud... and is a quaint small town, but the county seat of Benton County.

Clear Lake is similar, smaller, but very close to St. Cloud, and is on highway 10.

Milaca- I dont really have anything GOOD to say about Milaca... too isolated for me though, but located on highway169..

If i had to choose it would be Big Lake.... Northstar Rail Acces.. Great neighborhoods, newer neighborhoods...2 lakes for recreation- Big and Mitchell.... highway 10... i have 2 cousins that just bought houses there, and they are pumped about the schools.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 11,974 times
I would say Big Lake is the best of those. I pretty much grew up in Big Lake and Zimmerman. I'm not from there, but thats where my friends/churches were. Zimmerman in the past few years has really boomed. Lots of new stuff, bowling alley, coffee shops, its a small "quaint" town, but I would still prefer Big Lake. I took the Northstar rail a couple weeks ago to the MOA(I read in a magazine that saying the "Mega Mall" was outdated ), it was really fun. Very convenient for when you can't find a ride all the way into the cities.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the input. Yes, Big Lake does seem like a pretty good town. Plus, with Zimmerman getting more businesses it just makes the whole area more appealing for me - Big Lake to Zimmerman only about 15 miles.
For me, the train is a huge plus!! And who knows, maybe they really will extend the train service to St. Cloud.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,638,400 times
I will make another suggestion, Sauk Rapids. It is a small suburb that is right by st cloud and the schools are excellent, and it is fairly beautiful and hilly. It has a Coborns superstore open 24 hours(im pretty sure), Walgreens, some gas stations, pizza hut dominos and papa johns, burger king, and a few other places.Though if your looking to buy a house with acreage I don't quite know if that exists in Sauk Rapids, Clear lake is really close, and when I went to st cloud schools I had a teacher that lived in Foley, it would be great for you also. Mapquest said Milaca is around 29 miles from St. Cloud, I probably wouldn't reccommend it unless you like a longer commute. Clear Lake and Foley would be better, or even Big Lake.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM

172 posts, read 344,127 times
Elk River schools are great, area isn't too bad either. Not MUCH further of a drive than Zimmerman. Zimmerman I would NOT suggest.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM

157 posts, read 259,906 times
I've lived in about 9 different cities around the twin cities in the past 25 years. I've lived in Elk River for the last 9....hands down it's the best and friendliest place I've ever lived. We have everything we need. Hwy 10 and Interstate 94 are close by, we have two rivers running through town, we have 5 groceries stores within 5 miles, 2 hardware stores, free movies and music in the park, lakes, hunting. The only thing were missing is mountains

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM

What about St Cloud's schools?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 AM

172 posts, read 344,127 times
Not too sure about St. Cloud schools. Have heard from people in my area south of the metro that Elk River is a good place. A lot of city people had moved north, and liked that area. However they mentioned Zimmerman as not being as nice. Friends of the family have pretty much said exactly what llratke did! Good luck!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,638,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersun View Post
What about St Cloud's schools?
Sauk Rapids or Sartells schools are much better. I went to Annandale, mn from preschool to 9th grade then Apollo High School in st cloud in 10th grade, and now I do an online high school at Minnesota Virtual School: A Flexible Way to Achieve Your High School Diploma Online and I wasn't at all impressed with st clouds schools, and I missed Annandale. I had a sister that went to discovery elementary St. Cloud Area School District 742 - Discovery Elementary School (http://isd742.org/discovery.html - broken link) which is apart of the st cloud district, and like a week before the 2008-2009 school year started we got a letter in the mail saying that discovery's test scores have been well under the state average or something like that, and were offering to bus kids to a different st cloud elementary school out of their neighborhood...

Here is an article from January 2010 talking about their low test scores
Local News

My younger sisters are now in Sauk Rapids school district Sauk Rapids/Rice (http://www.isd47.org - broken link) and are much happier with it. We still live in st cloud and they get driven to school there, and it is well worth it according to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota