U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 PM

42 posts, read 56,078 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move for the frigid Midwest air of MN from the heat and humidity of the South. I'm planning a visit this yr what are the better areas for me to get a feel for what MN is about?

Also what are the residents like? I ask cause I was always under the impression that Mainers were nice folks until I came onboard this site and found out just the opposite, still undeterred I traveled up that way and sure enough they were down right nasty.

I'm in Nursing so I'd like to be near some major medical centers or clinical areas.

Also what is cost of living like in Minneapolis?

Thanks all For the help u give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,466,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
I'm considering a move for the frigid Midwest air of MN from the heat and humidity of the South. I'm planning a visit this yr what are the better areas for me to get a feel for what MN is about?
MN in general is a pretty varied state ... the north shore of Lake Superior is quite different from the southwestern part of the state, for example, and the Twin Cities isn't like either of those.

The Mayo Clinic was founded in Rochester, MN, so that's a fairly major medical center, and the Twin Cities is home to a few decent hospitals (Abbott Northwestern is the largest, I think), plus the U of Minnesota has its own medical center.

Not sure how to compare cost of living. I would say that the Twin Cities are comparable to Atlanta, for example, except that housing in the Twin Cities is still a bit more expensive. But you're in NC, so I really don't know...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
MN in general is a pretty varied state ... the north shore of Lake Superior is quite different from the southwestern part of the state, for example, and the Twin Cities isn't like either of those.

The Mayo Clinic was founded in Rochester, MN, so that's a fairly major medical center, and the Twin Cities is home to a few decent hospitals (Abbott Northwestern is the largest, I think), plus the U of Minnesota has its own medical center.

Not sure how to compare cost of living. I would say that the Twin Cities are comparable to Atlanta, for example, except that housing in the Twin Cities is still a bit more expensive. But you're in NC, so I really don't know...
Yeah I dont compare anything to NC cause I'm not from here nor have I been here long only here for rehab for next yr or so. so any comp's I'll do is based on my homes in Fl.

How about the people in the MN area are they nice, mean, dont want to be bothered types?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM

416 posts, read 743,225 times
Minnesotans have very little free time, so even though they're pretty good people, they might not reach out to you unless you have enough common ground (same church, same company, same neighborhood) to make their investment of time worthwhile. There are very few superficial friendships here. Minnesotans tend to be either close friends or polite strangers.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 PM

489 posts, read 845,026 times
Question Playing devil's advocate here, and curious

What, exactly, are Minnesotans doing that they have so little free time?

Isn't that true just about anywhere?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM

4,931 posts, read 8,610,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post

To some extent, yes. One exception to that would be retirement communities. Not that nobody retires here, but it isn't as common as some of the warmer areas, Florida, Arizona, etc. It seems like alot of people are here just to work.

This is just us, but we both work and I study so we don't have a whole lot of time to do anything. Whenever we get some time off we take a road trip or fly out of here, and preferably to someplace warmer.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM

128 posts, read 175,907 times
Mayo Clinic in Rochester is a major medical center but nursing jobs are tough to come by here right now. You might have better luck in the cities?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM

128 posts, read 175,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post

How about the people in the MN area are they nice, mean, dont want to be bothered types?
I'm relatively new to this board but I just don't understand why people will ask this. I'm thinking about moving to SD since I am losing my nursing job and I hear how wonderful the people from SD are. I have been out there twice on vacation and the people I met were very nice. I've also lived here for 19 years and have met many nice as well as mean people, stupid people, etc. People are people. There are good and bad everywhere. People in smaller towns may seem nicer b/c life is a slower pace there - but then I hear other people say those living in smaller towns don't like outsiders moving in. I honestly don't think you can generalize.

Whether you are moving to CO or MN, you have a major move ahead of you especially if you have no friends/family out this way. I'd suggest using the search functions here to get a feel for the area, and then start searching for jobs. And hope if you get an interview, they will pay for you to come out for the interview and take some time to look around.

VERY FEW nursing jobs at Mayo right now. VERY few.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM

3,738 posts, read 4,993,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post

Working, most people in Minnesota work a lot. Are caught up in family stuff, ie sports, etc.

True, same can be said for almost anywhere in the USA, but I have relatives in California that don't do anything. Ever.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlequeenie View Post
I'm relatively new to this board but I just don't understand why people will ask this. I'm thinking about moving to SD since I am losing my nursing job and I hear how wonderful the people from SD are. I have been out there twice on vacation and the people I met were very nice. I've also lived here for 19 years and have met many nice as well as mean people, stupid people, etc. People are people. There are good and bad everywhere. People in smaller towns may seem nicer b/c life is a slower pace there - but then I hear other people say those living in smaller towns don't like outsiders moving in. I honestly don't think you can generalize.

Whether you are moving to CO or MN, you have a major move ahead of you especially if you have no friends/family out this way. I'd suggest using the search functions here to get a feel for the area, and then start searching for jobs. And hope if you get an interview, they will pay for you to come out for the interview and take some time to look around.

VERY FEW nursing jobs at Mayo right now. VERY few.
Not really worried about finding a job right off the bat as money hasn't been an issue for some time.

I do ask the question regarding the population and how they come across cause it's important to me, so I dont think it's such an odd question. Our country is full of generalization those in the South are considered to be very nice, approachable, friendly even to strangers, those up North are thought to be more in a hurry, driven, eager, greedy & rude and as u said have a dislike for many outsiders, these generalizations go on and on. Of course u will have your not so nice people but in large every city has it's overall feel.

I have moved around enough that I'm comfortable in the steps I need to make a smooth and stress free move. I have started visiting this site recently only cause I was directed here by others, to be honest I've found more of the economy based questions and answers to be full of hate, bitterness, anger etc "From Other States Forums" to the pt some of the respondents begin to direct the anger towards u cause u dont hold their same ideals about the way things are in an area.

Give u an ex. On another forum I asked about the Nursing jobs and opp's in that area, there was only 1 respondent who informed me that there was no such thing as a Nursing shortage in their world that they'd been in Nursing for over 30yrs, and some of their family who work as PT's were only finding part time work. It was followed by how I should go about moving and doing my home wrk and all and that I'd find it hard to find a job etc.
Well when I provided the respondent w/ an article from their own local paper written a couple weeks ago about the shortage and need for Nurses in the area, even w/ the local colleges pumping them out as well as many more moving in locally, I was met w/ immediate bitterness and of course down playing that article. U see if they have been in Nursing for that long odds are they haven't had to look for work to often so wouldn't really have anymore of an idea of what the job outlook or situation is than someone not from their town, except from the same areas I'm able to get it via news outlets.

I say all this cause I know every city has it's detractors I dont think there is a Utopia, and I guess I'd appreciate more if folks would simply answer the question asked vs giving their unsolicited life advice, we all aren't the same and everyone's financial and life situation is diff, heck even poor folks place more value on some things that wealthier individ's do.

I thank u for ur info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota