Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,637,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
My church is in the south end of St. Cloud, and yea the Southside is just about all college kids though its really close to downtown. I was one of the young CD users that has given it a bad rap, though I really don't hate it as much as I make it seem like.

HAHA.. I don't blame you though, St. Cloud did start to get on my nerves approaching my 5th yr.lOL...

Hey, what's that park that's on the hill where there's frisbee golf? Not Riverside but the other one!!!!

Calvary i think? That area is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,041,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
HAHA.. I don't blame you though, St. Cloud did start to get on my nerves approaching my 5th yr.lOL...

Hey, what's that park that's on the hill where there's frisbee golf? Not Riverside but the other one!!!!

Calvary i think? That area is great!
Ya it is Calvary
Calvary Hill Park in St. Cloud, MN - Disc Golf Course Review
Calvary Hill (http://www.ci.stcloud.mn.us/Park/Website/support/calvary.htm - broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 20,815 times
Wow, my post came back to life! We are moving in July and have rented a great house in Albany--10 minute commute for both of us. We'll be househunting in a year or so and will definitely check out the Centennial area. I'll tell my husband about the disc golf course .

We're getting excited about the move! I'm only nervous about living so far from a Trader Joe's.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,123,353 times
Welcome to Albany ( Lake Wobegon area)

Hope you enjoy your stay there.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM

213 posts, read 1,085,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitre10 View Post
I have been offered a great job in the St. Cloud area and my husband and I are mulling it over. We currently live in California and have a 1.5 year old. I have a couple of questions if anyone knows anything about this area. We would be interested in buying a home right away.

1. are the schools in st. cloud and sartell dramatically different in quality? I looked on Great Schools and was suprised by the high scores of Sartell schools and the low scores of St. Cloud.

2. what are the differences between sartell and st. cloud as communities? My family is fairly low-maintenance, but I would like to be able to grab some take out (not fast food) for dinners some nights--does Sartell have restaurants like St. Cloud does? (sorry if this is stupid--I drove through but I didn't see a "town" to Sartell). Is Sartell snobby?

3. Are there any established, nice neighborhoods that you would direct me to in St. Cloud, Sartell, or other nearby towns? I would like to avoid new developments in fields. We're looking for safe, nice, neighboorhoods--not huge houses. I dislike cleaning

4. Any great preschools in the area?

Thanks!
Someone recently suggested the south side of st cloud, where new developments are being built. I agree that the south side (Deer Creek, Tiffany Park, Walden Woods...) is a nice part of town, but that doesn't seem to meet the original poster's criteria. While many of the homes there are not in corn fields, they are (generally speaking) large homes and rather spendy.

Also, I'd like to comment on the original poster's concern about test scores. St Cloud is more diverse than Sartell. Specifically, St Cloud has a large Hmong and Somali (immigrant) population, and students who don't know English as their native language typically score lower on standardized tests, which are written in English.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitre10 View Post
Wow, my post came back to life! We are moving in July and have rented a great house in Albany--10 minute commute for both of us. We'll be househunting in a year or so and will definitely check out the Centennial area. I'll tell my husband about the disc golf course .

We're getting excited about the move! I'm only nervous about living so far from a Trader Joe's.
Albany is nice. Good schools too. You might decide Albany is the place for you!

The closest Trader Joe's is in Maple Grove--about 50 minutes from St Cloud. It sure would be nice if TJ's--or some other grocery chain--would come to St Cloud. Since Cub Foods left, all we have is Coborn's, Cash Wise (which is owned by Coborn's), Aldi, and Byerly's. Not much choice--no real competition. I miss Cub and the brands they carried. (Food Club is horrible!)

I'll bet if Rainbow Foods had waited till NOW to open their store in St Cloud, they would have made it. Hopefully Super Walmart (which I personally won't shop at for groceries), opening in the next year or so, will at least compel Coborn's/Cash Wise to lower their prices, which seemed to jump sky high once Cub left.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Ya it is Calvary
Calvary Hill Park in St. Cloud, MN - Disc Golf Course Review
Calvary Hill (http://www.ci.stcloud.mn.us/Park/Website/support/calvary.htm - broken link)
There's also disc golf at River's Edge Park in Waite Park (3rd Street and 54th Ave--where the new "water park" and baseball diamonds are), and at Millstream Park in St Joseph. The original poster can stop and throw a few rounds at Millstream on her way from Albany to St Cloud!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The hospital part of town is awesome and a lot of great homes there and such. Also close to downtown which is great as well.

Me coming from Annandale and going to Annandale schools, Apollo High School was a dissapointment to me in comparison. Just my opinion. I now do an online school and dont go to any of the st cloud schools which is great.
Sartells schools would be your best bet, though Sauk Rapids has a nice brand new(2003) high school, though I went there for a short bit before I transferred to an online school. It was still dissapointing compared to Annandale.

I will say this though, just about every teacher I had at Apollo besides like one or two (won't mention names) was FANTASTIC.
Hey Radical_Car, question for you: what makes a school good--the building or the teachers in it?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Hey Radical_Car, question for you: what makes a school good--the building or the teachers in it?
Definitely the teachers, didn't you see the part where I said I was disappointed at Sauk Rapids and I transferred to an online school? What made you think I judged schoools based on the buildings? I really didn't like Sauk Rapids at all even though there high school was just built in 2003.

Out of all the schools I been to Annandale is still the best, and my sister after we moved to the St Cloud area went to Discovery in Waite Park St. Cloud Area School District 742 - Discovery Elementary School (http://isd742.org/discovery.html - broken link) and even though its a really nice fairly new building, the school is doing terrible, and about a week before the 2008-2009 school year started we got a letter saying how low their test scores are and were offering to bus kids to a different school in the district if they wished.

Bendix Elementary in Annandale, MN(the only elementary school in Annandale, not sure why it isn't called Annandale Elementary or something like that but whatever) is one of the few schools to get a 10 on GreatSchools in Minnesota which bases their grades off of test scores. Discovery Elementary in Waite Park in has a 3.

Discovery Community Elementary School - Waite Park, Minnesota - MN - School overview

Bendix Elementary School - Annandale, Minnesota - MN - School overview

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Yes, since the Cub Foods left there really is no competition at all for grocery stores. Aldi isn't really a full fledged grocery store and there is just Coborns/Cash Wise and a single Byerly's. Its a shame the Rainbow never made it. At one point there was Coborns/Cash Wise, Cub, Rainbow, and Byerlys. Not its just Coborns/Cash Wise and Byerlys and Aldi if you count that...

A HyVee would be nice, Mankato has one.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota