U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

557 posts, read 1,341,091 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I am pondering a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters wilderness area, using one of the local outfitters (perhaps out of Grand Marais). Has anyone adventured here? Thrills and challenges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 AM

74 posts, read 272,511 times
I canoed down the Kawishiwi (sp?) river up there about 10 to 15 years ago. A bunch of us had a family member drive us up to very close to the Canadian border, and we canoed down the river over a 3 day time period to get back to our home base in Ely. We had to do a few short portages on the way with the canoe and gear, but wasn't too strenuous. Really was a wonderful experience. Looking up at all the stars at night, and listening to the sounds of wolves howling in the distance was incredible. It was a year when there was a bit of a drought in northern Minnesota, so the water levels were way down. Made it more difficult to do the small rapids in places, but we got through ok. If you have the time, I would definitely recommend this trip. Be sure to boil the lake water though if you plan on drinking any of it!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM

100 posts, read 137,384 times
Pack LIGHT. It's an amazing experience for sure. Get all your permits ahead of time, only certain # of people are allowed out in certain areas at a time. The outfitters should be able to assist with all of that. You will be OFF the grid, there are no phones including cell service, electricity, bathrooms,...none of it except lakes, trees, and a lot of open sky. In other words, it's beautiful, but it's the wild and be prepared as such. It could very well be the trip of a lifetime!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,343,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Greetings! I am pondering a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters wilderness area, using one of the local outfitters (perhaps out of Grand Marais). Has anyone adventured here? Thrills and challenges?
Pontificator, we have been up there many times for canoe trips, each lasting for six days. We have never used an outfitter, we have entered the BW off of Gunflint Trail once several years ago, from Lizz Lake Entry Point going in a couter clock wise route to Gaskin Lake, where we had a five star campsite.

This year we are also heading in off of the Gunflint Trail at EP 50, Ham Lake, Cross Bay, heading down to Long Island Lake Area, in the first week of June 2010.

What do you want to know about?? I can give you lots of advice and tips

Last edited by demtion35; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,715,875 times
While I don't have tips, I can say that when I was a kid and went to Bible camp, we canoed there and it was absolutely beautiful!! Loved it even though it rained and my sleeping bag got wet.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:25 PM

3,755 posts, read 7,919,174 times
I'm glad you asked this.

Now that I'm a permanent Duluth resident, I am planning on going on a trip like this. It would be with either 4 guys or 2 guys, which would you reccomend?

I am very very equipped for outdoors. I grew up in cornfields, hunting fishing, living off the land-so that stuff doesn't bother me.

I want to just go with a few people for 5 days in the woods. I don't want/or think I need a guide or anything, is it possible to do this without one?

I have no idea how the entire process works.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM

557 posts, read 1,341,091 times
Thanks, folks! Really appreciate the specific tips and the inspiration! I will have to use an outfitter, as this trip is roughly 1200 miles from home, and sold the cold-water canoe when I left Alaska (should've kept it anyway!). Planning to choose a "weenie" course, as I only have experience as a day-tripper. Have camped and hiked extensively, so I like to think I'll function with common sense in the great wide open. Really looking forward to silence but for wolves and loons, and some stargazing. Demtion, thanks for the offer of detailed info, when I get more specifics pinned down, I'll take you up on that!

Hey -- is there WiFi in the Boundary Waters area? (yust kidding!!)

Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM

409 posts, read 1,065,036 times
We used to do two trips every year, one in May where we went in at Moose and spent most of our time up in the Agnes region of Quetico. We also used to do an August trip off Sawbill each year. Things were always pretty quiet in the spring trip, the weather and the remoteness of the further reaches keeping people out; sometimes we would go 4-5 days without seeing anyone else. Sawbill in August was a different story. There were always people around.

Anyways, just make sure you know what you're doing, get your permits early, especially if your trip is during summer break, and have a blast!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,674 times
Make sure you know how to navigate, everything seems to look the same after awhile (beautiful, of course). And, portaging is the hardest part. And, a shower feels really good when you get home.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,199,561 times
My sister went on a trip there with her church and she really loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota