U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM

32,209 posts, read 3,010,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Another Minnesota positive (shared by Wisconsin and Michigan as well) is that Lake Superior provides a coastal style experience and feels like an ocean. I enjoyed traveling around Duluth and the North Shore eight years ago. Split Rock Lighthouse is a must see and definitely take some pictures.
Yes, Lake Superior is awesome. I also love traveling along the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers. For me the most beautiful parts of Minnesota are along those rivers and the big lake, which also makes it the best part of Wisconsin as well. IMO!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,717,274 times
For me, MN has pluses and minuses. The biggeest plus is my wife who has lived here since 1947. The biggest minuses are summer humidity and bugs.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,565 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Alexandria is a lovely area, cute, busy downtown along with other shopping on the edge of town. It's a very popular cabin area so the summer population there is quite large. There are several lakes and a lot of summer recreation...and winter too. I would say that winters in Alexandria are colder by a bit then you had in Maine and the summers are probably buggier. I think the winter cold day to day won't be noticed much but you will get those few really cold days that you probably didn't have in Maine. Is the job in Alexandria?
Thanks for replying to my questions. I apprecite it. Not sure about where exactly the job possibility is just yet, but heard about Alexandria area and was curious because many of the responses in this thread are from people in bigger cities.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
My husband and I lived in Portland, Maine for about two years. Although weather changes from year to year wherever you are, I think the winters in Maine are a bit milder than Minnesota and definitely shorter. It was my experience when living in Maine (and also Newport RI for a year) that spring came earlier. However, here in Minnesota we can certainly see early springs too, just not always. As for bugs, that too changes from year to year - the mosquitoes were worse this summer than last, for example.
Thank you so much for your feedback too! I kind of assumed that MN living would be just like you pointed out, compared to Maine. The only two places I've never lived are the Midwest or the South. I may be adding them to my portfolio! LOL.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,107 times
had to register jsut to chime in here. i was born in MN in 1970. lived there till i was 16. moved to florida with my parents and have been here ever since.
florida sucks. in my opinion. its HOT, its nasty, people are rude, in considerate. living in the tampa bay area. traffic sucks
everybody here is for themselves. yes i know this happens in other places, but the driving here is unreal. the "oh i need to cross 3 lanes of traffic cause i need to change my mind right now and turn the other direction!!!" it happens all the time.
yesterday 40 min to drive 11 miles.
living my youth in MN was the greatest. i miss the seasons!!! there are NO seasons here. its summer year round. sounds great to some, but its getting old for me. watch the news, you will find most tragedies that happen in the US originate or have a florida connection.
i miss the snow, i miss the cool crisp air, the trees changing colors, the river, the lakes, the kindness of the MN people.
i was up there in april for my sisters wedding, and my wife saw my eyes light up while there.
i read someone elses comment about hating the winter and wanting to see green. well yes you can have that here, but let me tell you, MN has green, it is far more greener there as for the trees and grass than here. its a dull green. MN has a bright vibrant green, LOL during the summer only HAHA.
try explaining the "feeling" of the seasons to my wife who was born in florida is tough, you have to feel it to experience it.

florida is a party state. nobody wants to work here. people cry over working 6-7hrs a day cause they cant "WHAAAA" go to the beach.

so my wife and i have decided our 3yr plan is to move back home. the st paul area is where i grew up.
its just going to be tough finding a job in my field.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM

32,209 posts, read 3,010,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogmoe View Post
had to register jsut to chime in here. i was born in MN in 1970. lived there till i was 16. moved to florida with my parents and have been here ever since.
florida sucks. in my opinion. its HOT, its nasty, people are rude, in considerate. living in the tampa bay area. traffic sucks
everybody here is for themselves. yes i know this happens in other places, but the driving here is unreal. the "oh i need to cross 3 lanes of traffic cause i need to change my mind right now and turn the other direction!!!" it happens all the time.
yesterday 40 min to drive 11 miles.
living my youth in MN was the greatest. i miss the seasons!!! there are NO seasons here. its summer year round. sounds great to some, but its getting old for me. watch the news, you will find most tragedies that happen in the US originate or have a florida connection.
i miss the snow, i miss the cool crisp air, the trees changing colors, the river, the lakes, the kindness of the MN people.
i was up there in april for my sisters wedding, and my wife saw my eyes light up while there.
i read someone elses comment about hating the winter and wanting to see green. well yes you can have that here, but let me tell you, MN has green, it is far more greener there as for the trees and grass than here. its a dull green. MN has a bright vibrant green, LOL during the summer only HAHA.
try explaining the "feeling" of the seasons to my wife who was born in florida is tough, you have to feel it to experience it.

florida is a party state. nobody wants to work here. people cry over working 6-7hrs a day cause they cant "WHAAAA" go to the beach.

so my wife and i have decided our 3yr plan is to move back home. the st paul area is where i grew up.
I hope your plan works out for you and your wife and that your wife will be o.k. up here. About six years ago we did research on other states to possibly move to and concluded that we love Minnesota for the most part and why bother leaving. Plus now that I have two more grandchildren here that are very young I don't want to leave.

Since we are a "young" retired couple I figure we'd be better off going on a two or three month road trip in March-April and maybe May? and return when the leaves are back on the trees. I don't mind winter, but "spring" in Minnesota can be a bit of a bummer in those years where it comes late like in it did in 2013.

Anyway, I spent extended amounts of time in Florida in my twenties and I didn't care for it. In Minnesota I prefer the eastern half of the state, north to south. St. Paul and the surrounding area certainly has a lot to offer, as you know. Best wishes!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM

479 posts, read 723,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogmoe View Post
I've read so many endorsements of Minnesota here!

I've lived in four states, but as an adult, I've only lived in California and Arizona. We're moving to MN because it offers a lot of structural benefits. We can always find individual things to complain about - winters, colder... summers, humid... taxes, higher... but there's a big picture everywhere you go. MN does a really good job as a big picture state.

Plus, as far as we know, there aren't any state laws preventing us from taking trips in the winter.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,107 times
thank you all, looking at the picture thread really brought back memories. i have a huge child hood memory of the river. every weekend we would go boating down the st croix/mississippi, would put in at hudson WI, which i was super suprised on how that place turned out when we were there in april. it huse to be the huge boat launch area of the time. now its so small. then we would cruise down through kinnikineck(sp) on our way to diamond bluff. anyone recall Kasks tavern??
AAWWWW Crosslake MN mmm love that area, my grandparents are buried there. they had a house on the white fish chain. that is gods country for sure.
something strange that is missed is fresh water. yes i miss fresh water. it has its own smell and feel. you cant swim in fresh water here, unless you want to dance with a gator.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,316 times
Default General Question

Hi,
I have been reading through all of the posts since 2006 and I just have a general question for everyone. I grew up in Bronx, NY until I was 18. AT 18 I moved off to college in New Hampshire and have been living here for just over 4 years now. I married my wife here and have plenty of friends here but we are looking for a change. My wife travels for work all across the US and has recently been in MN. She absolutely fell in love with the state. We have no problems with the winters or summers because they are pretty similar to the seasons here. The winter may get a bit colder but we have times when we have highs in the negatives too. My question for everyone is is MN a great place for a young couple to start a family. We want to be around people our own age (young to mid 20's). We have been looking at ST. Paul to live and have found the housing to be comparable if not cheaper then we are living now. What are some good places to look at to be around people our age ?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,569,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrip16 View Post
Hi,
I have been reading through all of the posts since 2006 and I just have a general question for everyone. I grew up in Bronx, NY until I was 18. AT 18 I moved off to college in New Hampshire and have been living here for just over 4 years now. I married my wife here and have plenty of friends here but we are looking for a change. My wife travels for work all across the US and has recently been in MN. She absolutely fell in love with the state. We have no problems with the winters or summers because they are pretty similar to the seasons here. The winter may get a bit colder but we have times when we have highs in the negatives too. My question for everyone is is MN a great place for a young couple to start a family. We want to be around people our own age (young to mid 20's). We have been looking at ST. Paul to live and have found the housing to be comparable if not cheaper then we are living now. What are some good places to look at to be around people our age ?
What kind of area do you want? You will find heavier concentrations of young families in the suburbs, especially some of the outer burbs like Maple Grove, Chaska, etc. The Twin Cities is nice because you can live pretty much anywhere and have nice neighborhoods, good schools, family friendly things to do. There are a handful of places you don't want to be but after that, pretty much anywhere is fine. Worst districts in the metro are Minneapolis and St. Paul, a couple inner-ring suburbs and that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota