U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM

3,736 posts, read 4,867,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I completely disagree. I followed SCSU all the way to the DII final four. It was a blast.
How many of the 18,000 SCSU students cared? Maybe 1,000? It's hard to get that campus-sports fever with DII sports. I agree, I watched the entire F4 too but I don't think a lot of people cared.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM

6,745 posts, read 5,389,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
How many of the 18,000 SCSU students cared? Maybe 1,000? It's hard to get that campus-sports fever with DII sports. I agree, I watched the entire F4 too but I don't think a lot of people cared.
I'm a season ticket holder. I follow it more now than I did when I was at SCSU.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,000 times
Yeah Ozzie i get what you're saying, but still, from a student standpoint the only thing that matters is Hockey and maybe football

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,464,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
That isn't true in all cases. Saint John's doesn't have any problems filling up their stadium for home football games and it's Div. III. On the other side of the spectrum, Gopher's football is Div I and has a beautiful brand new outdoor stadium and they couldn't even sell out their home games. Regardless, I don't really see what any of this has to do with the OP's question.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That isn't true in all cases. Saint John's doesn't have any problems filling up their stadium for home football games and it's Div. III. On the other side of the spectrum, Gopher's football is Div I and has a beautiful brand new outdoor stadium and they couldn't even sell out their home games. Regardless, I don't really see what any of this has to do with the OP's question.
The Gophers should be embarrassed about that. SJU draws very well for football. I've been to games out there with more that 10000 fans and bad weather playoff games with 2000 fans. But I'd say they average 7-9k, which is tops in DIII. They have a special thing going out there....

Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySandwhich View Post
Yeah Ozzie i get what you're saying, but still, from a student standpoint the only thing that matters is Hockey and maybe football
There are tons of students at the first few football games and of course homecoming. But I would narrow that list down to hockey.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM

15 posts, read 17,914 times
Quote:

It has everything to do with the OPs question.

They asked me how I liked SCSU and I said that one of it's biggest downfalls was the lack of an Athletic following. Sure, the D1 sport of Hockey, more noteably Men's Hockey is huge at SCSU. It's usually what the masses do on Fri, and Sat in the winter months.

However, the other sports go widely unnoticed, such as Basketball which went to the Final Four. For the most part, DII sports are a crapshoot. I'd take DI before DII and I'd take DIII programs before DII.

Plus, the Gophers stadium was empty because it's a joke stadium that caters to alumni and just regular fans, not Students, which you can't drink and you have to pay to go.

Programs like Johnny and Tommie football are much more respected than SCSU football, as well as DIII college baseball programs.

There isn't even any DII college Hockey anymore.

So, that's why it applies to the OPs question. As a former student at SCSU, I just wished the school was a full-blown DII school (which they were fighting hard to do, hence the new football stadium, but has sense been scratched, thanks a lot recession) or a DIII school with more intimate campus athletics. Or, stay DII and the students just respect the athletics more. It brings students together and gives the body something to cheer for.

I think most DII schools are sandwhiched. They are big enough to hold their own weight (UMD, SCSU, MSU, UND) but aren't big enough or take in enough dollars to put out a full blown DI program, but they also aren't small enough to be intimate and have a grass roots following.

* I do know that there really isn't a correlation between enrollment size and Division of NCAA sports, but that's how it usually goes * (Gonzaga is a huge basketball schoold, DI, and has about 7,000 students)

or Davidson in DI basketball has about 2000 students

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 26,249 times
Thanks, all, again for the tips. Would you say that St. Cloud State is one of the best colleges in the state?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 AM

4,931 posts, read 8,464,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westWI View Post
Thanks, all, again for the tips. Would you say that St. Cloud State is one of the best colleges in the state?
In my opinion, no.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, no.
Depends on the program. Overall, some of the private schools in the MIAC and the UM are the most "prestigious". SCSU has the best mass comm/broadcasting program in the state. It's also the best school if you want to be a teacher. They produce the 12th most teachers in the country, so the networking possibilities are excellent. People in the position of hiring look out for their own. There are allot of good schools in the state. It depends what field you want to pursue. "Best school" is objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota