U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
 
19 posts, read 26,258 times
Reputation: 11
Ok, cool. Slig- why do you think St. Cloud isn't the greatest? What makes SCSU have the best mass comm/broadcasting program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,601 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westWI View Post
I'm having trouble make my decision on what college I should go to. I'm looking at two colleges in MN. I've read some other posts on CityData very similar to my perdicament, but I feel like I needed to post my own situation.

The U of MN-TC (maybe a private college like St. Thomas, but for now I'm comparing these two public schools) and St. Cloud State University.

The Things that I am considering is naturally the money side of the colleges and is there a drastic difference in curriculum that would affect my preparation for the real world. I feel like I really need to be put in situations where I can develop a lot of necessary skills that I don't have now and I am worried if the decision I make will greatly affect my future.

Another thing rolling in my mind is that the U of MN is one of the top universities in the country/world. I guess I could always go back for grad school if I went elsewhere for my undergrad, but do you think that matters?

Thanks for looking and I need any advice you can offer on this topic or just college tips in general.

I have lived in the St. Cloud area my whole life and due to medical reasons, I decided it was best for me to stick close to home and got to SCSU. Yes, SCSU has a VERY bad rep for being a party school but honestly compared to other surrounding schools (UofM included), my experience is it is hyped up. When I first started college my boyfriend went to the U of M and boy do they party BUT it also depends on the people you associate yourself with After going to SCSU along with some of my other friends and having to look for a job on more than 1 occasion due to the economy, I would say going to SCSU put me at an advantage if frankly if I had wanted to pursue Grad School (like my original plan) I would have no chance at all. Only one person that has graduated from SCSU with a BS in Psychology, which I studied, has gone onto a Masters at the U of M.

Normally, I am against paying huge bucks for your education because I've known people that have gone to Crown, Northwestern and even Rassmussen and gotten very little out of their spendy educations. But if you're studious and especially going for a degree that would need further education after 4 years, Do Not even consider SCSU because it will be a mistake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
15 posts, read 10,891 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
"Best school" is objective.

Er, no, "best school" is subjective.

Objective means it's a fact that is the same to all, like grass is green and water is H20.

Subjective means it's open to interpretation and opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
 
6,745 posts, read 5,392,982 times
Reputation: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones View Post
Er, no, "best school" is subjective.

Objective means it's a fact that is the same to all, like grass is green and water is H20.

Subjective means it's open to interpretation and opinion.
I know what it means...I just misused the word. Sorry 'bout that.

"Best school" is subjective (happy?) I love the fact that university presidents are rebelling against the US News and World report rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
 
154 posts, read 138,358 times
Reputation: 67
What about mankato? I mean MSU is a great school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
4,931 posts, read 8,468,918 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by westWI View Post
Ok, cool. Slig- why do you think St. Cloud isn't the greatest? What makes SCSU have the best mass comm/broadcasting program?
Please take this with a grain of salt as I'm no college expert. I base my opinion on my own college experiences, visits to various schools, from word of mouth and general reputation. Based on all of that, I wouldn't make the statement that you can't get a quality education at St. Cloud. I just think there are many other better options in the state. Of course each school has their specialties, but generally speaking I find alot of the private schools to provide a better overall college education and experience than St. Cloud. This includes but is not limited to Carleton, St. Olaf, St. Thomas, Gustavus Adolphus, Macalester, St. John's/St. Ben's, Augsburg, Hamline, Concordia and Bethel. For state schools, reputation alone would propel the University of Minnesota over St. Cloud. It's subjective but I find the U of M's location to be better than St. Cloud, there's just more to do in the Twin Cities.

I would place St. Cloud in the same category as other state schools like Mankato, Winona and Bemidgi, which would be below the already mentioned private schools and the U of M. Once again, this is just my own personal opinion so feel free to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
 
131 posts, read 188,744 times
Reputation: 177
Private schools like Macalester and Carleton are in a totally different league and it's really unfair to compare them to smaller state institutions. I would say that the smaller state schools like St Cloud, Winona, Mankato and Bemidji have a really hard time competing for good professors. You may get lucky and get a good prof who is just starting out their career, but they usually leave after a couple of years for greener pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM
 
20,798 posts, read 31,366,486 times
Reputation: 9864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
Private schools like Macalester and Carleton are in a totally different league and it's really unfair to compare them to smaller state institutions. I would say that the smaller state schools like St Cloud, Winona, Mankato and Bemidji have a really hard time competing for good professors. You may get lucky and get a good prof who is just starting out their career, but they usually leave after a couple of years for greener pastures.
I don't think this is true. The state university system pays better then the private schools so you DO find many, many, many profs that stay in the state system longer then you do at private schools. There is quite a bit of turnover in the private colleges as well. I think you will find the opposite true in many cases that the newer profs start at the private schools then move on to the state schools. Having attended a private college in MN, I saw this happen frequently.

Like any school, some schools are well known for various programs, public or private. SCSU has a very well respected business program, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 AM
 
131 posts, read 188,744 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't think this is true. The state university system pays better then the private schools so you DO find many, many, many profs that stay in the state system longer then you do at private schools. There is quite a bit of turnover in the private colleges as well. I think you will find the opposite true in many cases that the newer profs start at the private schools then move on to the state schools. Having attended a private college in MN, I saw this happen frequently.

Like any school, some schools are well known for various programs, public or private. SCSU has a very well respected business program, for example.

It's unfortunate that you paid for a private college, only to see your professors leave for the state system and large turnover. You will not find this at Macalester or Carleton, which are the only 2 colleges I referred to in my post. It's well documented that these level of private institutions have higher salaries than small state institutions in general. I have several good friends teaching at both of these institutions and I can tell you that there is no question from a career-point-of-view where they would rather be. They all started at the state colleges and moved on to private. It's not just about money for them, but working with the best faculty and students. But, the money is better as well. The larger state institutions have better salaries, but the small state instititutions sometimes struggle to get faculty to move to the smaller communities and have a hard time offering the salaries that could potentially lure good professors there. I'm not saying these small institutions don't have good programs, as they clearly do and for some folks it's a good choice.
But you don't have to take my word for it. Here are a couple of articles that show the typical salary difference. Private religious schools are closer to state institutions, but are still higher.
News: Faculty Salaries and Priorities - Inside Higher Ed

News: The Worst Salary Year - Inside Higher Ed


Here is specific data for MN colleges. The UofM- Twin Cities campus has higher salaries (major research institutions usually have highest salaries), but we're weren't debating the U, the discussion was about smaller state institutions, which clearly have much lower prof salaries.
http://www.aaup.org/NR/rdonlyres/3CA...ppdx1_MANC.pdf


If you have a source that tells a different story, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 AM
 
20,798 posts, read 31,366,486 times
Reputation: 9864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
It's unfortunate that you paid for a private college, only to see your professors leave for the state system and large turnover. You will not find this at Macalester or Carleton, which are the only 2 colleges I referred to in my post. It's well documented that these level of private institutions have higher salaries than small state institutions in general. I have several good friends teaching at both of these institutions and I can tell you that there is no question from a career-point-of-view where they would rather be. They all started at the state colleges and moved on to private. It's not just about money for them, but working with the best faculty and students. But, the money is better as well. The larger state institutions have better salaries, but the small state instititutions sometimes struggle to get faculty to move to the smaller communities and have a hard time offering the salaries that could potentially lure good professors there. I'm not saying these small institutions don't have good programs, as they clearly do and for some folks it's a good choice.
But you don't have to take my word for it. Here are a couple of articles that show the typical salary difference. Private religious schools are closer to state institutions, but are still higher.
News: Faculty Salaries and Priorities - Inside Higher Ed

News: The Worst Salary Year - Inside Higher Ed


Here is specific data for MN colleges. The UofM- Twin Cities campus has higher salaries (major research institutions usually have highest salaries), but we're weren't debating the U, the discussion was about smaller state institutions, which clearly have much lower prof salaries.
http://www.aaup.org/NR/rdonlyres/3CA...ppdx1_MANC.pdf


If you have a source that tells a different story, please share.
Um, the links you provided don't even have the smaller state schools listed so how can you make that comparison?

It is not, however, unfortunate that I "paid" for a private school since I paid next to nothing to attend a private school since I received almost enough in scholarships to pay for my schooling. I paid about $1000/year out of pocket to attend college. Quite a few of my profs are still there, as a matter of fact. I also know many, many, many profs at Carleton and Macalaster that have only spent a few years at each institution knowing many, many profs that worked at both among other staff members at both. Turnover happens everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top