U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,083,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Peppermint I am referring to comments about no walking/biking/hiking venues and no access to healthy food. I think I read those type of comments.
Oh, I know that in Starkville bike lanes are better because of the university, but there aren't bike lanes outside of the greater campus area (including just off campus). I imagine that Oxford is the same. There is no vegetarian or vegan restaurants to my knowledge in Starkville, Columbus, West Point, Tupelo, etc. I may be a little behind, but I've not heard tale of it or seen them.

It sounds like Hattiesburg or south would be best for the OP, if he's determined to live in MS. I truly wouldn't recommend anything north of Jackson for him. It would be a bad fit, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,512 times
Hattiesburg doesn't have a vegan restaurant as far as I know. But it has some good ones that serve fresh food and organic veggies, for example. But purchasing items for home preparation is possible. Unfortunately, there is also a good number of greasy spoons. But the locals love them. Yuck!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:33 PM

783 posts, read 1,932,224 times
Wow. Starkville had a vegetarian coffee house there YEARS ago. I know because I sold them organic peppers. There's also the medit...meditterr... the mideastern place that has some great hummus and falafels and such. There's also like 3 or 4 sushi places, a couple of them pretty upscale. There are also LOTS of local vendors selling locally grown produce, and locals have been venturing more into organic farming methods.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,083,550 times
What's the name of the coffeehouse? That's certainly news to me, but I hate coffee so I'm not sure I would have gone in there. Three, I think. To be honest, I wasn't thinking about sushi. Umi, the one on Stark Road, is nice. Veggies and fruit won't be a problem to find anywhere, but health stores and restaurants are harder to come by in that area. Of course, some restaurants serve good salads and vegetarian pizzas, etc. I don't think there is a restaurant (formal) that serves vegetarian or vegan only. Some people have issues eating at a place that serves meat, but that tends to be a bit more extreme.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 AM

30 posts, read 92,880 times
OP- Well, I do have to say that I've never seen a vegetarian or vegan (or, just purely healthy food) restaurant in MS and would honestly be surprised to find out that there is one; however, I will say that there is still a variety of food here, it's not all just Southern cuisine. Although, I will admit that growing up with those foods, it was/is a difficult decision to stay away from those high-fat/fried kinds of foods. ...and, honestly, people don't generally understand; however, I've never had any problem with people trying to push any of it on me.

As for the accent part... yeah, here in MS we do have a strong accent and it does take some getting used to. I mean, it seems like no matter where I travel to, EVERYBODY seems to know I'm from the Southern USA.

As for church, I myself am a practicing Catholic and will say that when you first move to an area if people find out that you don't have a "church home" then you will have 50 billion middle-to-elderly aged women inviting you to their church. As long as you don't make it a big deal, though, and just say that you're not really into going to church then they'll usually leave you alone. ...they do ask because they care and want you to have a "good Christian place to call home and meet others" ...so it could be worse, I guess.

As for being gay...honestly, I grew up in Laurel, MS, lived in Starkville, Oxford and just moved to Jackson, MS and have never had a problem (or known anyone else that has had a problem). Although, I will admit that I don't exactly flaunt my being gay. Around areas like the coast, Hattiesburg, Jackson, Tupelo and some other areas there is a decent underground gay culture... although on the coast and Jackson the culture isn't so underground. I'm not saying that you won't get some looks if you're with your boyfriend or anything like that; however, in my 24 years of life I've never even had someone actually say something to my face about it.

But, I would definitely come down for a long trip and tour some of the areas and see what you think about it. I mean, something can sound GREAT on paper, look even better in pictures...and then you get there and can't stand it.

Anyways, I'm obviously not an expert on everything in MS, these guys have got me beat by far; however, if I can answer any questions or whatever feel free to PM/ask and if I don't know I'll find out for ya.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,922 times
Don't discount Mississippi or profile us all as redneck or backward. We don't all think as you may believe we do. Tupelo and Jackson for instance aren't as rural as some of the rest of the state, but metro Jackson isn't as safe as Tupelo. I have a lot of gay friends that have lived here for 20+ years openly. It is a culture shock, as you aren't going to have access to the things you are used to in CT, but that is to be expected. It is a trade-off. But we are close to Memphis, so if you want a day trip there will suffice if you want, and the slower pace here sounds like what you seek. Good luck with your decision.
~M

Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,591,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's funny that you say Hartford, CT is a major U.S. city. It really isn't, lol. It's rather small, with a population of only 124,000 or so. Compared to MS cities though, I'm sure it's quite large. But, I'm comparing it with NYC and Boston in my mind.
Actually, this shows your limited view and mindset. Hartford is indeed a second tier major city with a ton of corporate might and headquarters. Just because you grew up here and don't think much of it, doesn't change reality.

#1 gross GDP per capita in the world and the metro itself has a higher GDP than 13 entire states!

While not NYC it's not a small town either.

Listen, I spent my 20's in the South, and don't regret the experience. I think you should get out and check it out...I also think you are in for a major shock, which isn't always a bad thing.

What I would recommend NOT doing is pitting one area AGAINST the other. Every place has it's ups and downs. Sometimes it's comparing apples and oranges. I like both fruits for what they are. Hating oranges doesn't make apples taste any better, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
If NC was "quite southern" and was odd or surprising to you in any way, MS will blow your mind.
LOL Agreed. NC has become "South light" due to all the transplants.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
OP- Well, I do have to say that I've never seen a vegetarian or vegan (or, just purely healthy food) restaurant in MS and would honestly be surprised to find out that there is one.
There is a natural foods grocery - Rainbow Co-Op - and restaurant - High Noon Cafe - located in Jackson.

High Noon Cafe, Jackson, MS 601.366.1513

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

What I would recommend NOT doing is pitting one area AGAINST the other. Every place has it's ups and downs. Sometimes it's comparing apples and oranges. I like both fruits for what they are. Hating oranges doesn't make apples taste any better, trust me.

LOL Agreed. NC has become "South light" due to all the transplants.
Oh this is so true. Don't compare to what you don't have but look at what you have gained. You will experience some kind of loss in such a move--even if it is good crusty real bread--my pet peeve. The South doesn't understand what bread is all about. But there are places --if you investigate and are willing to drive a bit--where you could find just abouit everything. Just not everything at your fingertips.

By the way--if sushi restaurants indicate sophistication wow! H'burg has about 20 of them. They are everywhere. Except for Olive Garden no Italian and no Indian. I love Indian cuisine...but we have a great Thai place--and don't get me started on the number of Mexican places....no German, no French,---but we have a wonderful French bakery that serves lunch--it is fabulouso!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM

783 posts, read 1,932,224 times
It's true that Rainbow Grocery is in Jackson but I didn't mention it simply because Jackson isn't exactly "close" to Starkville - it's about two hours away from Rainbow Grocery. In that context there's also Manna grocery and cafe in Tuscaloosa, which is actually about 30 miles closer. There's also a gourmet grocery store in West Point, which is like 15 miles from Starkville.

Oh yeah.. for italian there is bin612, a place that specializes in unprocessed italian style foods. There's DEFINITELY more than just an Olive Garden...

http://www.bin612.net/menu.asp

Last edited by poptones; 07-19-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or