U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 11,456 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman who would love to relocate from detroit, mi to hattiesburg, ms. Can anyone tell me some good places to work (i have a ba in psychology), some great areas to live, and if hattiesburg is a good place for a single woman to relocate too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,605,631 times
You will find the postings on Hattiesburg in this forum to be generally quite enthusiastic. The main strengths seem to be:
- Location: Convenient to New Orleans, MS Gulf Coast, Mobile, Florida, and Jackson.
- College town - Univ of Southern Miss is located here
- Economy - Hattiesburg seems to have been booming for the last 20 years or so. It shows, especially if drive from USM campus out Hwy 98, which is a major commercial area.
- Culture - USM has the main school for the arts among Mississippi universities, which means pretty good symphony and dance performances etc.
- Lakes - Hattiesburg has several neighborhoods centered around large lakes, such as Lake Serene and the ritzy Canebrake area.
- Downtown - Downtown is smallish but fairly active presumably due to presence of college students. Hattiesburg has some good restaurants and some pleasant historic neighborhoods just south and west of the downtown area. There are also very nice new neighborhoods along 40th street which runs south from Hardy St near the intersection with I-59. There are also subdivisions all out west of town along Hwy 98.
- Apartments - Due to the university, Hattiesburg is loaded with apartments, particularly between USM campus and I-59.
- Charm - Hattiesburg definitely has its share of highways and strip malls. The charm seems to be more in the very pretty neighborhoods and dense forests... and the injection of enthusiasm of USM students along with the accompanying lively restaurants, bars etc.
- Employment - USM might be a start. Hattiesburg has a website called something like ADP (stands for Area Development Partnership) that is the local economic development organization. That would be a start, in terms of finding lists of employers and having someone to call and talk to.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM

28 posts, read 70,807 times
You could work at the different psychiatric facilities in the area, Pine Grove, South MS State Hospital (correct me if the name is wrong, the one in Purvis) and there's always the University of Southern Mississippi.

I grew up in Hattiesburg and hated it then, so you know it's a great place to raise kids . It's grown in leaps and bounds since then and I'd move back in a second if my family was still there. The location to the big cities and beaches rock!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,619,628 times
OP I really think it depends on what you are looking for as a single woman. You are leaving a major metro area for small town life. Are you happy working at an interesting job, spending time with a few buddies and a pet and enjoying a relatively crime-free attractive environmewnt?

Or are you looking for an active social life with opportunities for meeting new and interesting people on a regular basis. Do you want to spend weekends gardening or having activities with a cultural flavor. Do you like solitary sports like biking or walking or are you into going to the major league stuff? I think you can see which aspect you would be gaining and which you would be leaving behind.

I lived in a metro area before MS and although you can have activities and meet people through them in small town life (golf, art, exercise, clubs)--you won't have the stimulating active go-go lifestyle many younger people lead. You won't look at the paper and see hundreds of things going on to choose from. Your work, your home, your close friends, your interest groups--will be your source of fulfillment.

Unless you are independently wealthy...that is another story altogether.....

Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,118 times
I am a SBF - baby boomer, and I too am looking to retire to a small MS city. I am considering Hattiesburg.
Any suggestions about retirement in Hattiesburg for a woman in my dynamics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or