U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

If I had to choose:
Oxford
Madison/Ridgeland
Olive Branch/Southaven
Laural/Hattiesburg
Starkville
Well, I guess that's about it.
That's not to say there aren't other decent towns, (Tupelo,Meridian, Columbus, Coastal towns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,884,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMonkey View Post
This is true of any skin color in MS. You can find racist neighborhoods in several places in MS. And it isn't just white people.
I've been reading this forum for the past 2 or 3 hours. It gets really tiresome reading one side acting like the other is the only one that is racist. Where there is poverty in MS, their is racism. And where there is a lack of education, their is racism. Regardless of skin color. The "other" side is not a fantastic evil beast.
This is all completely true, and I wasn't trying to categorize racism as a one-sided issue. Racism exists in all ethnic groups all over the world, even in the "Blue States" in the USA. It is most definitely not limited to white people in Mississippi.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM

11,314 posts, read 7,322,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Wow there's WAY more diversity down here than "hollywood" and "farmers." I used to LIVE in Hollywood and there's no way I'm Hollywood, nor are most anyone I know. I have friends who are intellectuals, friends who are rednecks, and lots of room in between. A friend of mine who is a professor at MS state is a NATIVE Mississippian who is married to a Chinese immigrant, has two beautiful little girls, has motorcuycled all over the country and is a practicing atheist - where does he fit on that scale of duality you describe?

I was born up north but grew up here as much as there, left almost thirty years ago now and never looked back. I still don't like the place of my birth and will stand toe to toe with anyone who dares call me a yankee...
How do you practice atheism?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceena View Post
Hi all -

Just out of curiosity, and because there is a chance my husband might be getting some job offers in MS in the next year, I was wondering what some of the more "stereotypical" areas in MS are?

By stereotypical, I mean places that would remind an outsider of the deep south - conservative, church oriented, humid summers, victorian/colonial homes.

I am originally from WA state - my husband from AZ. We currently live in Tempe AZ and both hate it. It's too big.

I have visited Georgia before and thats all I've really seen of anything of the south. I have always been VERY interested in the the culture of the South and honestly have my eye on the MA in Southern Studies offered thru Ole Miss (but we'll have to see about that).

If we did end up moving to MS, that is definitely where we would settle down. We are in our 20s (me 22, him 26) and no kids, both will be college educated when get down there.

A couple of other silly questions: I don't mind the southern accent - but am just wondering if people tend to pick it up if they come from other states? And also, is it possible to become entrenched in the south as an transplant and truly end up fitting in? My husband works FT - I am a SAHW and finishing my BSN right now. I mean, would I, (and how would I?) be able to be accepted and fit in?

Any info much appreciated
if you want to take college jsu mississippi state ole miss (not my favorite) is not raciest heck most of the states aint raciest i love mississippi ever seen i moved here when i was little for dallas great state
but down go live in the delta because its very deep DEEP SOUTH and people might be mean stay in the tupolo and madison choctow area.
stay out of west,east,and especially SOUTH JACKSON also yazoo but beside that and delta mississippi is really cool state.
Also if you are considered "rich" or "average" move to madison,brookwood,rideland, and southaven those are very nice places but you dont necessary have to be rich too
ENJOY M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM

12,201 posts, read 18,349,729 times
I think to get what the OP mentions, she would have to first find a time machine to jump back 100 years or more. The "idealic south" is an invention of Hollywood....as is the "racist south" that seems to be a favorite topic of this forum. Mass media and a mobile population have severely dimished these regional differences. Yes we all have running water, we all have a McDonald's on the corner, we all have access to high speed internet and the latest technology, we all drive rediculously sized SUVs, just like the rest of the country. And I find race relations no different from the rest of the country (as in, there are good and bad people living everywhere).

The cultural differences between one region of the country and another in the US are somewhat thrown out of proportion. Yes they exisit, but not to the extent that really warrants a deep discussion. What most newcommers will experience, a so-called "cultural shock", would in actuallity be the same if they were simply moving accross town - new neighbors, schools, churces, shopping areas, etc. It simply makes a good internet topic because everyone is self-absorbed and egotistical enough to think that they have a relevant story.

But I get what the OP is saying, as even "steriotypical" is mentioned. I don't think it exists, but the best she can get is to move to smaller towns that have some historical flavor. Oxford is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi