U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM

8,226 posts, read 18,443,359 times

Advertisements

I am surprised that you did not have to take a written test to get a Mississippi driver's license. When I moved to California, I had to do that and there were around 40 very tricky questions ( the laws really are different from state to state).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM

783 posts, read 1,929,053 times
I would suggest obtaining your legal information from a source that is credible- not wikipedia.

Are you one of those like 80 year old school teachers? Did you even read the article I linked? It has nothing to do with "legal advice" and only mentions the disparity in school bus laws - including how MISSISSIPPI (where this is relevant, remember?) is one of the few states where you have to stop when those red lights are flashing EVEN on a divided highway.

Wow, that seems CRAZY! I mean, I have to stop even on a big 4 lane divided highway? Why would a bus be stopping on an interstate? Anyone who has spent a bit of time driving around the state would know Mississippi is one of those "odd" states that has many 4 lane "interstates" that do NOT have service roads and limited access: hwy 82, hwy 49; hwy 45... all these are 4 lane highways with homes on both sides and driveways and dirt roads that just spew slow moving vehicles into potentially high speed traffic - not to mention the occasional stop light. And we've had several school bus related deaths here the last few years because of it... as that ARTICLE I LINKED points out. Is that "definitive" enough for ya?

Anyway, the only people I know who now consider wikipedia "not credible" are judges (this isn't court) and elderly school teachers who are part of the racket to sell books from "credible" sources like the hideously out of date Funk & Wagnalls. It's a different world now, get over it.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,995,945 times
[quote=nancy thereader;15750875( the laws really are different from state to state).[/QUOTE]
Mississippi and Georgia recoginize valid driver licenses from other states. I suspect many other states do the same

Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM

333 posts, read 995,248 times
The police in Mississippi will pretty much flag you for anything to make a buck for the state. In north MS cops will pull you over for doing 2 over the limit.

No wonder its the poorest state in the former confederacy, the cops are sucking everyone dry.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM

72 posts, read 136,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
The police in Mississippi will pretty much flag you for anything to make a buck for the state. In north MS cops will pull you over for doing 2 over the limit.

No wonder its the poorest state in the former confederacy, the cops are sucking everyone dry.
Fully agree. The cops around Hattiesburg are hooorrrriiiibbbllleeee.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,608,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm looking for some advice here. I was traveling on my way to school this morning and I am driving on a 4 lane road. 2 lane in each direction separated by a median. As I am driving I see a school bus on the other side of the street in the far right lane. Just as I am about to drive by he pulls his stop-sign out and his red flashers.
Now, some background. I lived in WA-State and in cases like this, where I am traveling in the opposite direction as a the school buss, with 3 or more lanes and a median in between us, I do not have to stop for a school buss. This is my first time actually having to stop for a school buss and I happened to remember this specific law.
Well, as you probaby already guessed, I was pulled over by the police as I am passed the school buss. I was told by the officer that if I keeps breaking the law like this HE will arrest me.
I looked up MS state laws when I came home and their school buss laws are different the WA-State. How was I suppose to know that unless I was forced to take a driver license test when I moved here?

I was told I could contest the ticket but not sure if it any use. It was a honest mistake. I have no priors what so ever. I do not even exceed any speed-limits more then 5 mph.
Anyways, what kind of ticket can I expect here?
Thanks
I can't help it. Sorry. But it is bus--not buss--geez--what are schools teaching these days.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 PM

12,196 posts, read 17,872,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I can't help it. Sorry. But it is bus--not buss--geez--what are schools teaching these days.
Oh, so so sorry ,
The Swedish schools teach us buss ( the Swedish spelling for bus) , but that is in Swedish of course. I should know better. I live in America now!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,608,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Oh, so so sorry ,
The Swedish schools teach us buss ( the Swedish spelling for bus) , but that is in Swedish of course. I should know better. I live in America now!
Oh--I am sorry. Didn't know about the second language thing. You see--your English must be pretty darn good that I didn't notice that fact.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,865,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPKA
I would suggest obtaining your legal information from a source that is credible- not wikipedia.
I agree with OSPKA; Wikipedia articles are useful to gather base information to start a more thorough search, but should never be used as the final proof of a point. Give me five minutes and I'll point to a Wiki article that says anything I want it to just to prove it.

MS laws pertaining to school buses are HERE (page 7, section 63-3-615). It just says stop when the school bus stops; no exceptions for multiple lanes, even with dividing medians. A bus should never be stopped on any limited-access highway (Interstate, etc.; called a "freeway" on the left coast), but one could easily stop on a multi-lane city street or rural highway.

Second, I'm surprised you didn't have to take a test. I had to take a written test (not driving, just written) when I moved from MS to MO, then again when I moved from MO to TN. Easy to pass, but it does force you to get one of the free study books and review state laws. I guess MS doesn't require them. Either way, an earlier respondent is right; you are responsible for following the local laws. This means no radar detectors in some states, nothing attached to your front windshield in some states, no driving while talking on a cell phone in some states, and no passing stopped school buses on a divided highway in Mississippi. This applies if you live there or if you're just driving through.

If you get a ticket for a "moving violation" (speeding, reckless driving, running a stop sign, etc.), your driving record is affected and insurance could go up. But sometimes you can volunteer to attend traffic school as a sort of plea bargain to get your offense reduced to a non-moving violation. Same fine, plus the cost of the school, but your insurance doesn't get more expensive. Traffic school usually isn't an absolute requirement except for the highest level offenses.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 09-13-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM

783 posts, read 1,929,053 times
I agree with OSPKA; Wikipedia articles are useful to gather base information to start a more thorough search, but should never be used as the final proof of a point. Give me five minutes and I'll point to a Wiki article that says anything I want it to just to prove it.

OK, prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi