U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,219 posts, read 17,913,819 times
Reputation: 11649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Oh--I am sorry. Didn't know about the second language thing. You see--your English must be pretty darn good that I didn't notice that fact.
Well, Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,219 posts, read 17,913,819 times
Reputation: 11649
I have my court day on the 23rd. I am going to contest the ticket. I feel that if the State of MS really cared about their traffic laws, they should at least require me read the driving book guide. How many of us read that book unless it is required. The more I think about it, the more upset it makes me. I did not know! In the state of Tennessee, 10 miles north of where I live Mississippi, the laws are different. That's where I moved from.
I have the $300 dollars put away to pay for the ticket. I hope I can keep some of that at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,258,723 times
Reputation: 22341
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I looked up MS state laws when I came home and their school buss laws are different the WA-State. How was I suppose to know that unless I was forced to take a driver license test when I moved here?
In Missouri you are supposed to get a license if you have lived here for 30 days. That gives you time to study the book and learn the rules.

I'd say it's about time you did that.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,219 posts, read 17,913,819 times
Reputation: 11649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In Missouri you are supposed to get a license if you have lived here for 30 days. That gives you time to study the book and learn the rules.

I'd say it's about time you did that.

20yrsinBranson

Well, you are never issued a book when you get your licence here. They take your picture and hand you your license. Thats all. Think about it for a second! If you were to move to another state, and they tell you that no written test are required, are you one of those people who still go and ask for the book so you know all the laws before you get behind the wheels? Honestly?
Im not saying that I should not know the laws, but you would think that if the difference is that huge, they would at least issue you the book at the time you get your license.
But yes, trust me, I have learned my lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,875,665 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
I agree with OSPKA; Wikipedia articles are useful to gather base information to start a more thorough search, but should never be used as the final proof of a point. Give me five minutes and I'll point to a Wiki article that says anything I want it to just to prove it.
OK, prove it.
You called my bluff, and no, I'm not going to intentionally vandalize a legitimate wiki page to prove a point. But the point still stands. I could very easily go and delete all references to "Mississippi" to the school-bus laws page. I could just as easily add Alabama, Missouri, and Tennessee to the same list. These false changes would eventually get corrected by someone who knows the truth, but they might sit there for days or weeks before this happens. And this is just intentional vandalism. Even worse are the changes made by well-intentioned people who edit pages because they think they know a "fact" or the "truth", but they are completely wrong. And then you get to controversial pages that have been hijacked by proponents of one side of an issue. They regularly patrol their pet pages and ruthlessly delete any changes that disagree with their personal view, whether true or not.

Wiki is still a very useful tool, though, and I often use it as a starting point for an internet search. I go to Wiki, read a bit, maybe find a few links, and use what I learn to perform a more detailed Google search. But I never assume that what I read on Wiki is verified truth.

Now, back on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have my court day on the 23rd. I am going to contest the ticket. I feel that if the State of MS really cared about their traffic laws, they should at least require me read the driving book guide. How many of us read that book unless it is required. The more I think about it, the more upset it makes me. I did not know! In the state of Tennessee, 10 miles north of where I live Mississippi, the laws are different. That's where I moved from.
I have the $300 dollars put away to pay for the ticket. I hope I can keep some of that at least.
Good luck! Hopefully you'll get lucky and get the ticket reduced or even suspended. No guarantees, but it might be helpful if you bring along some sort of official reference to WA's laws, and state this is where you learned to drive. On the other hand, it might backfire if the judge thinks you're implying that WA's driving laws are better than MS's. Also, remember that in Mississippi, politeness, especially politeness toward people in authority, goes a LONG way toward helping you out. For what it's worth, I agree that it's ridiculous to have to stop on a multi-lane highway with a barrier or wide median between you and the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,875,665 times
Reputation: 4296
Something else... we're concentrating on whether g_o_m should have studied the book before getting a MS driver's license, but these same laws apply to someone just visiting or driving through the state. Say you're driving across the state on Hwy 82, which is a 4-lane divided from Starkville to Arkansas with regular access (side roads and driveways go straight to the highway instead of only at major intersections). I have personally seen school buses stop for loading/discharging on this highway. Few people from out of state would know that they had to stop for a bus that's several hundred feet away on the other side of a median.

And this isn't just a Mississippi thing. I regularly travel to California with coworkers. If traveling with new people I make a point of clueing them in on some of the strict driving rules that apply there. Things like you do not operate any sort of hand-held electronic equipment while driving (cell phones can be used with a hands-free system, but don't let a CHiP catch you looking at your phone while dialing) and you cannot mount anything to the windshield, including a GPS receiver, except in tiny spots way down in the bottom corners. Also, watch for the kamikaze motorcycle drivers that race along the dashed line between lanes of stopped or slow traffic (apparently, this is legal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,258,723 times
Reputation: 22341
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, you are never issued a book when you get your licence here. They take your picture and hand you your license. Thats all. Think about it for a second! If you were to move to another state, and they tell you that no written test are required, are you one of those people who still go and ask for the book so you know all the laws before you get behind the wheels? Honestly?
Im not saying that I should not know the laws, but you would think that if the difference is that huge, they would at least issue you the book at the time you get your license.
But yes, trust me, I have learned my lesson.
Call me anal. But, yes, I do pick up a book and read it when I am in the license office. In fact, I get a book when I renew my current license and read it just in case there are any new laws that have gone into effect.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,931,557 times
Reputation: 527
You called my bluff, and no, I'm not going to intentionally vandalize a legitimate wiki page to prove a point. But the point still stands. I could very easily go and delete all references to "Mississippi" to the school-bus laws page.

This is what "you people" (and I say that meaning "all y'all who simply DO NOT GET the internet, social constructs, and how this whole newfangled mess in general works... ok actually I mean every schoolteacher who says the same thing as you because they have an agenda to sell books) simply refuse to get: those wikipedia entries CANNOT be edited willy-nilly by just anyone. You must be a member, and if you are CAUGHT defacing wikipedia entries you will be suspended. Your argument about not using wikipedia makes every bit as much sense as saying "Oh you should never use ATMs bnecause someone might be lurking jsut around the corner waiting for you to get cash" or "we should ban all gun sales because criminals will misuse them" and then to "prove" how right you are by lurking around the corner with a gun and holding up ATM customers as they walk away.

Every wikipedia page has a collection of tabs at the top. One of those tabs is HISTORY. Anyone who understands the first thing about the tool knows to look at the HISTORY to see recent edits. I've heard tales about I don't know HOW MANY teachers who tell their kids NOT to use wikipedia, then go home and DEFACE wikipedia entries just to make their point! Since when is sociopathic behavior justified simply because you're a teacher?

Wikipedia is a ROBUST resource. Even old school publishers reference it from time to time (yes, they do, google it lol).

I agree that it's ridiculous to have to stop on a multi-lane highway with a barrier or wide median between you and the bus.

I don't know that the people who live along that highway would agree with you. Mississippi has MANY divided highways that DO NOT have limited access. It may not make sense for many out of state folks to be driving along a four lane divided highway and come to an intersection with a stoplight either, but Mississippi has several of those as well - Mathiston derives substantial income from this exploit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,219 posts, read 17,913,819 times
Reputation: 11649
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
You called my bluff, and no, I'm not going to intentionally vandalize a legitimate wiki page to prove a point. But the point still stands. I could very easily go and delete all references to "Mississippi" to the school-bus laws page. I could just as easily add Alabama, Missouri, and Tennessee to the same list. These false changes would eventually get corrected by someone who knows the truth, but they might sit there for days or weeks before this happens. And this is just intentional vandalism. Even worse are the changes made by well-intentioned people who edit pages because they think they know a "fact" or the "truth", but they are completely wrong. And then you get to controversial pages that have been hijacked by proponents of one side of an issue. They regularly patrol their pet pages and ruthlessly delete any changes that disagree with their personal view, whether true or not.

Wiki is still a very useful tool, though, and I often use it as a starting point for an internet search. I go to Wiki, read a bit, maybe find a few links, and use what I learn to perform a more detailed Google search. But I never assume that what I read on Wiki is verified truth.

Now, back on topic:
Good luck! Hopefully you'll get lucky and get the ticket reduced or even suspended. No guarantees, but it might be helpful if you bring along some sort of official reference to WA's laws, and state this is where you learned to drive. On the other hand, it might backfire if the judge thinks you're implying that WA's driving laws are better than MS's. Also, remember that in Mississippi, politeness, especially politeness toward people in authority, goes a LONG way toward helping you out. For what it's worth, I agree that it's ridiculous to have to stop on a multi-lane highway with a barrier or wide median between you and the bus.
Thank you for that advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,790 posts, read 3,875,665 times
Reputation: 4296
I'll try to keep my reply on-topic and delegate the wiki mess to another discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore
I agree that it's ridiculous to have to stop on a multi-lane highway with a barrier or wide median between you and the bus.
I don't know that the people who live along that highway would agree with you. Mississippi has MANY divided highways that DO NOT have limited access...
I drive along Hwy 82 and through Mathiston regularly. I have relatives who live on both sides of Hwy 82 in various locations, and some of their children ride school buses. The median along most of that road is extremely wide, and it resembles a rural Interstate highway configuration. There are often bushes, tall grass, or a deep ditch in the median.

The reason drivers have to stop when a school bus is loading or unloading is for the safety of the children running toward the bus or toward home. Requiring all drivers to stop on a 2-lane road, or even a 4-lane undivided urban highway is reasonable because children can and often do cross the road after getting off the bus. Maybe even on a 4-lane divided highway where the child can cross at a median turn lane, but that's stretching it. For the record, the act of discharging children such that they have to cross more than two or more lanes of opposing traffic is illegal in many states, but it appears to be legal in Mississippi.

In my opinion, a school bus should never discharge a child on the opposite side of a divided highway from his/her home, especially not where there is a physical barrier such as a concrete traffic barrier or deep ditch. Do you honestly expect a child with a huge backpack to climb over a physical barrier, or trudge through deep grass/bushes in a 300-ft wide median, all while the school bus sits with blinking lights and a long string of cars waits patiently? If there is no reasonable expectation for a child to cross that barrier or wide median, then requiring drivers on the other side of that barrier or wide median to stop is, I repeat, ridiculous. IMO.

That being said, I always stop for a school bus on either side of a highway in spite of the fact that I think it's ridiculous. It's the law as written and as enforced in Mississippi. I also think that extended sections of 35 and 45mph speed limits on a major divided 4-lane highway through Mathiston is ridiculous. But I don't speed through there because I agree with poptones in thinking that the majority of Mathiston's economy is funded by traffic fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top