U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,280 times

Advertisements

I have attended Meridian Community College and received an Associate in Arts degree. These people in this city do not appreciate education. They do not support people in achieving their goals. It is best not to move to this Meridian, Mississippi. They are very close-minded. Downtown has an attractive old world charm. But, this is not the place to move forward and progress in life. So please, it is best to visit here and just leave. You'll be glad you did!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM

186 posts, read 321,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abandoned man View Post
I have attended Meridian Community College and received an Associate in Arts degree. These people in this city do not appreciate education. They do not support people in achieving their goals. It is best not to move to this Meridian, Mississippi. They are very close-minded. Downtown has an attractive old world charm. But, this is not the place to move forward and progress in life. So please, it is best to visit here and just leave. You'll be glad you did!
Not meaning to make light of your educational achievement, but unfortunately in this economy an AA degree may not carry much weight in the job market. Especially when people with bachelor's and even master's degrees are taking low paying service jobs in order to survive.

And it's that way all over the country, except in a few select places (like Washington, D.C. where the job market is essentially subsidized by all U.S. taxpayers).

Don't give up hope. You just gotta' keep on fighting, and God willing things may at some point turn around for you. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,398,022 times
a 2 year Associate in Arts degree and 25 cents will buy you coffee at Ma and Pa's Kettle in Cameron Missouri.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,872,303 times
You can still get a cup of coffee for 25 cents??? Does it come in a cup, or do you have to hold it in your hands?

But like pjg66 said, an AA degree won't get you very far. It does demonstrate that you have the ability to do homework, pass tests, and learn new things. This puts you half a step above a high-school graduate, and a full step ahead of a high-school dropout. But you're a half-step below the people with Fine Arts, History, or English degrees from 4-yr institutions who are applying for jobs at the same fast-food restaurant.

Just curious, but what was the concentration of your degree? Typically people say "Associate in Arts degree in...." History, English, Management, something.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM

783 posts, read 1,930,799 times
It's tough. I'm back in school to hide through the bad economy. Apparently Holmes and many other colleges now have record enrollment - no doubt, because Pell and student loans can at least give one a tiny reprieve and a chance at hope for the future.

Why don't you just go to school? Get a deferment on your loans, apply for every grant you can, and borrow against your future? Get a proper degree in something useful so you'll have half a chance of paying it back when things pick up...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:08 PM

59 posts, read 175,809 times
I just received my B.A. in foreign languages (french and spanish) back in May. I want to teach but since I wasn't an education major, I have to enroll in a M.A.T. program or an alternate route to certification program before I can teach. In the past, the state offered emergency teaching licenses to those who wanted to teach who were not education majors. You would have been able to teach and take the coures at the same time in order to become certified. This year, the state did not have the money to fund it, so I'm back at sqaure one. I could go to another state who issues emergency licenses, but I can't afford to right now. I"m working as an administrative assistant until I can become certified. My salary is half of what I should be earning with a B.A. degree. I"m not complaining, because I do like my job. It's just what I have to do for now until I either become certified or get my Masters.

The point is, you are really going to have to go back to school and get a higher degree. Also, it won't be a bad thing to have a minor to go along with your major. It's extra work, but it could be something you might have to fall back on and use later in life.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:39 PM

767 posts, read 1,997,741 times
The AA degree would possibly be an asset in a branch of the US Armed Forces. When you finish your service, you will have the GI Bill to get that BS degree.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:58 PM

59 posts, read 175,809 times
You should also become an intern in your field of interest. I was an intern at my current job during my junior year. When I couldn't find a job in my major after graduation, I went back to where I did my internship and was hired immediately.

I know it is hard out there and I wish you much luck.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 PM

579 posts, read 1,201,612 times
Trust me times are hard. I not too long ago relocated to Atlanta, GA in July because I got laid off as a Purchasing Manager back in April in Jackson. I have a BBA in Marketing and had over 5 years at that company. I could not find anything .... anything in Jackson at all. I'm still out seeking a position now and have been unsuccessful. I will be going to a temp agency on Wednesday seeking some assistance from them. I trust and believe I will gain employment soon, just keep the faith.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM

3,013 posts, read 3,039,210 times
What do you bring to the table that makes you the best candidate for the positions that you seek? There are millions of unemployed people who have better credentials than you who cannot find jobs. Why should anyone hire you over them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi