Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The nickname of the Ole Miss sports teams was NOT changed. They were and are still, the Rebels.
A mascot (a kid in a costume) who roamed the sidelines at games named "Colonel Reb," was banned, and replaced by a kid in a Black Bear costume as the mascot. That is the only change.
^^^ This. Incidentally, Col Reb was banished about 10 years ago and he only existed for 24 years before that. By the end of the 2015 football season his banishment will be about half as long as his total existence. "Tradition" does not apply.

Also the previous several pages of ranting about racism, liberalism, and state flags are both totally off topic and almost THREE YEARS OLD! So replying to them is both useless and a good way to get a mod to slap the lock on this thread.

Incidentally, I prefer to refer to call them "Rebel Teddy Bears".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:38 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Try to keep up...

The nickname of the Ole Miss sports teams was NOT changed. They were and are still, the Rebels.
A mascot (a kid in a costume) who roamed the sidelines at games named "Colonel Reb," was banned, and replaced by a kid in a Black Bear costume as the mascot. That is the only change.
Pay attention yerself! I done tol' ya' I don't keep up!

Anyway, best of luck to them. Maybe they will attack better than this black bear.....

Cutest bear attack ever - YouTube

Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM

560 posts, read 786,706 times
Default Washington Redskins

Someone in the L.A. Times suggested that the Redskins keep their name and simply change the logo to a red potato. I thought it was a good idea.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pay attention yerself! I done tol' ya' I don't keep up!
Yet that didn't stop you from posting misleading and incorrect information about how the name "Black Bears" was not "catching on." But now people are correctly informed.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Yet that didn't stop you from posting misleading and incorrect information about how the name "Black Bears" was not "catching on." But now people are correctly informed.
It's always nice when you believe you have all the information, isn't it?
Rebel Black Bear voted new Mississippi mascot - ESPN
Quote:
Whether Rebel Black Bear will be accepted is still unknown.
Roy Yarbrough, a professor at California University of Pennsylvania who consults with schools on choosing new mascots and symbols, said Ole Miss could spend $100,000 or more for costumes, letterhead and marketing fees.
He said there's still a risk the bear will be rejected, citing the example of a school in Pekin, Ill., that once had a racial epithet for Chinese people as its mascot. They changed it in the 1980s, but it's still a sore issue.
"If no one accepts the new mascot, Colonel Reb could make a comeback," he said.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times
My two cents. I am African American as said before but also part Scots-Irish Choctaw/Cherokee. Anyways I have big mississippi flag and a confederate flag hanging in my living room I whistle dixie and believe the south will rise again. So I found it to be a slap in the face to our culture and heritage to change the name and mascot of Ole Miss. That being said oh well Hail State and Geaux Dawgs.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The name needed to change. The image of a slave-owning "rebel" is very offensive to black Americans, as well as to all non-whites.
What is a "rebel black bear" - a bear that has left "the plantation"?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
OK, enough of the revisionist history. The civil war WAS COMPLETELY ABOUT SLAVERY, therefore "the rebels" were all about DEFENDING slavery.
Wrong. The civil war was about state's rights.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 PM

261 posts, read 418,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
My two cents. I am African American as said before but also part Scots-Irish Choctaw/Cherokee. Anyways I have big mississippi flag and a confederate flag hanging in my living room I whistle dixie and believe the south will rise again. So I found it to be a slap in the face to our culture and heritage to change the name and mascot of Ole Miss. That being said oh well Hail State and Geaux Dawgs.
I'm beginning to wonder if blacks are trying to take the Confederate Flag as their own. I seen in the paper where it was either Chris Brown or Kanye West was wearing the Confederate flag on his clothing. It would get very interesting if the Confederate Flag catches on in the black community. I wonder how the confederate flag flying whites would react to that. The Confederate flag, more than any other flag that I know of, represents different meanings for different people. I've seen it flown in the Midwest about as much as I've seen it flown in the South.

There's nothing wrong with whistling Dixie. I don't know why people have a problem with that song. I grew up in Indiana in the 60's and we sang that song in music class in grade school, I think around 3rd or 4th grade we learned it.

I do believe the South has already rose. Just look at Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and to some extent, Arkansas. Some of the most prosperous areas of the country.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 11-28-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if blacks are trying to take the Confederate Flag as their own. I seen in the paper where it was either Chris Brown or Kanye West was wearing the Confederate flag on his clothing. It would get very interesting if the Confederate Flag catches on in the black community. I wonder how the confederate flag flying whites would react to that. The Confederate flag, more than any other flag that I know of, represents different meanings for different people. I've seen it flown in the Midwest about as much as I've seen it flown in the South.

There's nothing wrong with whistling Dixie. I don't know why people have a problem with that song. I grew up in Indiana in the 60's and we sang that song in music class in grade school, I think around 3rd or 4th grade we learned it.

I do believe the South has already rose. Just look at Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and to some extent, Arkansas. Some of the most prosperous areas of the country.
It was Kanye West, and I don't think blacks as a whole are trying to take the Confederate flag as their own. Last time I checked, the vast majority of Black people I see and know don't have anything to do with the Confederate flag. Quite a few Blacks are quite are criticizing Kanye West for that.

I certainly will never consider the Confederate flag as my own.

The states you mentioned, only a few are among the most prosperous(TX, FL, NC, and VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi