U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)
 
47,717 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Reputation: 15239

Advertisements

I see some people upset that Ole Miss changed their logo claiming "political correctness". Some people agree with Ole Miss changing its logo. Some people don't care. Personally, I see no problem what so ever with Ole Miss changing its logo and moving away from Colonel Rebel. What is still strange is the mascot name will be called Rebel Bear. William Faulkner's novel was called "The Bear" not "The Rebel Bear".
In fact, the "Dixie" flight song is actually not as old a tradition as one would think. It was added in 1948 as a response to Jackie Robinson entering the Major Leagues and Strom Thurmond was called a "Dixiecrat" for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,933,639 times
Reputation: 527
Strom Thurmond was called a dixiecrat because that's what he was. You say "for a reason" but you don't say WHAT reason. You seem to be implying "dixiecrat" was also an invention of the 1950s (or perhaps the 1930s).

"Arrrggghhh..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)
 
47,717 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Reputation: 15239
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Strom Thurmond was called a dixiecrat because that's what he was. You say "for a reason" but you don't say WHAT reason. You seem to be implying "dixiecrat" was also an invention of the 1950s (or perhaps the 1930s).

"Arrrggghhh..."
But what is a Dixiecrat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,731 posts, read 2,296,704 times
Reputation: 6489
Lightbulb Hello Pop...Hello Pirate...I Might Be Able To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
But what is a Dixiecrat?
A Dixiecrat was, I believe, in those days, a Democrat who may have been staunchly in favor of keeping segregation afloat in the South

If I am wrong, then I apologize in advance, but that was the standard definiton for that term

EDIT: here's more...the Dixiecrats were actually a breakaway group from the main Democratic party in 1948...their main beef was that the Government was interfering in the 'Southern way of life' (read: trying to do away with segregation and by and large segregationist policies) and that States should have control over those issues...basically, they were against any form of racial integration, and wanted to keep the 'Jim Crow' laws in place, and thereby ensure the continuance of white supremacy

Just wanted to flesh out my original post a little

Last edited by captaincatfish; 10-18-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)
 
47,717 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Reputation: 15239
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
A Dixiecrat was, I believe, in those days, a Democrat who may have been staunchly in favor of keeping segregation afloat in the South

If I am wrong, then I apologize in advance, but that was the standard definiton for that term
I know what the Dixiecrats are. I coined the question as to drive home a point about the use of the term "Dixie" and the "Dixie" fight song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,933,639 times
Reputation: 527
The term "dixiecrat" may have been invented in the 1940s, but the democratic party pretty much ruled the south once that radical Republican Lincoln declared war on Dixie. Southern democrats have always been their own breed. Still, I don't see what Strom Thurmond has to do with any of this. He's not from Mississippi and he has nothing to do with Ole Miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)
 
47,717 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Reputation: 15239
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
The term "dixiecrat" may have been invented in the 1940s, but the democratic party pretty much ruled the south once that radical Republican Lincoln declared war on Dixie. Southern democrats have always been their own breed. Still, I don't see what Strom Thurmond has to do with any of this. He's not from Mississippi and he has nothing to do with Ole Miss.
Part of the reason Ole Miss got rid of Col. Rebel was to distance itself from its Old South past. Strom Thurmond and Dixiecrats are also part of it and all came about at the same time the Dixie fight song was used at Old Miss. The Confederate flag started getting flown at football games. I got this from an article. The argument of Strom Thurmond and Dixiecrats came up because Ole Miss is said to be trying to get away from its Old South past. While it has nothing to do with Mississippi, they are relics of the Old South.
I am not into the Old South. If I was 24(the same age I am now) in any year before 1968, I would not choose to live in the South, being an African-American. Today, however, I can eat wherever I want,live wherever I want, go to school wherever I want, vote, and all sorts of freedoms that would have not been available to me beforehand. I don't take it lightly. I remember hanging out with one of my friends a few years ago. She is a White female. An hour or so before we went out to eat, I was hanging out with her in her bedroom, and we were literally on the same bed(nothing sexual, just two friends hanging out). While we were in the car, I mentioned that if this had been 50 or 60 years ago I would have been killed. She agreed with me on that. I thought about that because that night we were all going out to eat. It was me and two White women. It is also Georgia. It is also part of the reason I don't identify with the Old South. Colonel Rebel and the Confederate flag are all relics of the Old South. It is nothing I take pride in. My mother is southern, born and raised, and she doesn't take any pride in the Old South. She's proud to be a southern women though. Some say the New South after the Civil War ended. This is what I define as Old South: anything before the late 1960's. To me, the New South begins with the late 1960's and continues today.

For me, the former Ole Miss mascot represents something I would not be into. For me, the Old South represents an era I would not have wanted to live under.

Last edited by green_mariner; 10-18-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
 
2,319 posts, read 4,086,674 times
Reputation: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I challenge you to name more than a couple of movies that project white southerners in a positive light.
I don't know what movies have to do with it. I was talking about my personal experience. Glad to see poptones answered you. His response was better than mine would have been, I'm sure. I could answer your challenge, but seeing as how you won't respond to poptones', I see no point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,226 posts, read 17,945,423 times
Reputation: 11668
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Anything other than Col. Reb is ridiculous and is another assualt on traditions that may offend a small minority. If someone had a problem with the Ole Miss mascot then they are FREE to go somewhere else!
Who are the "small" minority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,905,295 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Who are the "small" minority?
The students and the Alum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top