Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM

77 posts, read 276,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And who appointed you 'The New Miss Ann Coulter'? Or are you perhaps trying to be Andy Rooney? Phyllis Schlafly thinking she's George Kennedy? Jerry Springer?

Anyway, there are far worse things people say about Ole Miss than I relayed. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, in calling them aristocratic, anachronistic, indolent, and genteel. That's their fantasy self-image...as existing as Living Literature...straight out of Faulkner. I was pretending along with them, that they were those things. I did so in defense of Colonel Reb. As mascots go, he's one of the best.

I didn't relay the facetious explanation of a friend, who, early-on described the Ole Miss social scene to me: "Oh, Honey! They're all from the finest families in their home towns! They're the best families, 'cause they actually have 'lectric winderz on their Chivvuhlaay Caprices! That's what makes them the best families."

I did not call those people "Prepnecks" (Rednecks who think they're Preppies). I did not quote our neighbor's kid, who when asked about considering the school said, "Mom, Ole Miss isn't a school: it's a disease."

No: I prefer to think of the place in the way that a Cocaine-snorting sorority Suzy from there taught me to see it. Back before we dumped our residential rental properties, this cute thing, about 35, and much the worse for wear, in a black cocktail dress, meandered up to me, as I was leaving a unit where we were having problems. She was a 'friend' of another tenant, and mistook me for the occupant. "Hi! Do y'all have any Coke?"

"I've got a two-liter Tab down in the Car. Hold on, I'll go get it for you."

"No! Not that kind of Coke. I heard y'all had the other kind."

"OH! With Sugar! So you can mix drinks? Sorry."

"NO! You know. Cocaine!" About five minutes later, as I was checking out the re-key job, I heard her yell down the stairwell. "Like they say...You never graduate from Ole Miss." Indeed.

I didn't say that when we lived in the Jackson Metro, I did my shopping out-of-town, in order to avoid the sneers of the bitter divorcees (Ole Miss Alums) who owned and staffed 'the better shops'.

And I didn't quote a single one of the people who attempt to teach within the School of Medicine. Nor will I.

Oh, and not once did I call it a Joke School. Why should I, when so many others do?

But back to you, dear... Actually, your assertion that no one on a college campus gives a (string of obscenities) about what a (string of insults) like me thinks...well, that could not be further from the truth. Fundraisers from every College that I or my children have attended (as well as a certain other one I've never set foot on) schmooze me much. To whatever degree my opinion of their school equates with my writing of checks, they care a lot.

I'm sorry that the quality of your slumber was enhanced by thinking that the opinions of (string of insults) like me are irrelevant to people on college campuses, and hope that you can, instead, take comfort in Jesus, who, as you made it clear, is nothing like me.

Oh, and I live on Iron Mountain, not Mount Olympus. It's more expensive than anything on the slopes of Muncibeddu. However, we do have a little family retreat on one of the Lipari islands...and sometimes you can see Muncibeddu (Olympus) from there. So you are not entirely incorrect about absolutely everything.

Step back and lay down the crack pipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Well, Roy Barnes got voted out of office in the state of Georgia, partly due to that. Today, the state flag of Georgia looks far different than what it looked like before 2001. The Confederate flag was taken out.
The State of Georgia flag is still very confederate. Many people just don't realize it. I guess it worked, since most people only recognize the battle flag. I honestly didn't know that the Bonnie Blue flag was once confederate as here it's used as the flag of the Florida Parishes.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Lightbulb Alright...Since You Wanna Go There

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And who appointed you 'The New Miss Ann Coulter'? Or are you perhaps trying to be Andy Rooney? Phyllis Schlafly thinking she's George Kennedy? Jerry Springer?

Anyway, there are far worse things people say about Ole Miss than I relayed. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, in calling them aristocratic, anachronistic, indolent, and genteel. That's their fantasy self-image...as existing as Living Literature...straight out of Faulkner. I was pretending along with them, that they were those things. I did so in defense of Colonel Reb. As mascots go, he's one of the best.

I didn't relay the facetious explanation of a friend, who, early-on described the Ole Miss social scene to me: "Oh, Honey! They're all from the finest families in their home towns! They're the best families, 'cause they actually have 'lectric winderz on their Chivvuhlaay Caprices! That's what makes them the best families."

I did not call those people "Prepnecks" (Rednecks who think they're Preppies). I did not quote our neighbor's kid, who when asked about considering the school said, "Mom, Ole Miss isn't a school: it's a disease."

No: I prefer to think of the place in the way that a Cocaine-snorting sorority Suzy from there taught me to see it. Back before we dumped our residential rental properties, this cute thing, about 35, and much the worse for wear, in a black cocktail dress, meandered up to me, as I was leaving a unit where we were having problems. She was a 'friend' of another tenant, and mistook me for the occupant. "Hi! Do y'all have any Coke?"

"I've got a two-liter Tab down in the Car. Hold on, I'll go get it for you."

"No! Not that kind of Coke. I heard y'all had the other kind."

"OH! With Sugar! So you can mix drinks? Sorry."

"NO! You know. Cocaine!" About five minutes later, as I was checking out the re-key job, I heard her yell down the stairwell. "Like they say...You never graduate from Ole Miss." Indeed.

I didn't say that when we lived in the Jackson Metro, I did my shopping out-of-town, in order to avoid the sneers of the bitter divorcees (Ole Miss Alums) who owned and staffed 'the better shops'.

And I didn't quote a single one of the people who attempt to teach within the School of Medicine. Nor will I.

Oh, and not once did I call it a Joke School. Why should I, when so many others do?

But back to you, dear... Actually, your assertion that no one on a college campus gives a (string of obscenities) about what a (string of insults) like me thinks...well, that could not be further from the truth. Fundraisers from every College that I or my children have attended (as well as a certain other one I've never set foot on) schmooze me much. To whatever degree my opinion of their school equates with my writing of checks, they care a lot.

I'm sorry that the quality of your slumber was enhanced by thinking that the opinions of (string of insults) like me are irrelevant to people on college campuses, and hope that you can, instead, take comfort in Jesus, who, as you made it clear, is nothing like me.

Oh, and I live on Iron Mountain, not Mount Olympus. It's more expensive than anything on the slopes of Muncibeddu. However, we do have a little family retreat on one of the Lipari islands...and sometimes you can see Muncibeddu (Olympus) from there. So you are not entirely incorrect about absolutely everything.
First of all, I am NOT trying to be Ann Coulter, Phyllis Schlafly, Andy Rooney, or god forbid Jerry Springer...not in the least...

I am however, someone who still sleeps well at night, thank you very much, knowing that somewhere, you are sitting behind a PC, tapping your toe impatiently, typing out what you imagine to be a stinging rebuke...that dog don't hunt, lady---you can sting and rebuke til buffalo start playing roller derby, and I will still not give a rat's hind parts about you, your opinion (which of course you have a right to express, and I have the right to rebut), or your expensive summer retreat (what does that have to do with the price of corn in Iowa, I might ask, except to further your illusion of superiority?)

I reiterate, then, that this thread was about the ongoing debate over Colonel Reb, the Ole Miss mascot, whom you defend in this post...and your repeated condescending jibes about the school, its alumni, and your amusing asides about the social scene, are kinda irritating...

There are good people in the state of Mississippi, and also good people who have attended AND GRADUATED FROM Ole Miss...and I'm willing to bet that, after reading this particular post, that they share my contention that there's not a chain or a rope in the world strong enough to pull someone's head from jacked deep up their poop-chute, Iron Mountain notwithstanding...

It doesn't matter how expensive it is where you live, nor does it matter about a family retreat, be it within view of Muncibeddu on one of the Lipari Islands...if you come here acting like your bodily fluids don't emit any kind of noticeable odors, then rest assured that people will get 'in your face' and make their objections to you very well known...

Sorry for your luck if you think that we're supposed to cower in fear and envy of your allegedly superior lifestyle, and not say what we think...not gonna happen (Jerry Springer? Ohhhhh boy howdy )

Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 AM

72,980 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The State of Georgia flag is still very confederate. Many people just don't realize it. I guess it worked, since most people only recognize the battle flag. I honestly didn't know that the Bonnie Blue flag was once confederate as here it's used as the flag of the Florida Parishes.
If that is really the case, then I guess I am being fooled. Still, I remember those days in high school when I was happy to see the battle flag get taken off of the state flag. It is nothing me or my family take pride in.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If that is really the case, then I guess I am being fooled. Still, I remember those days in high school when I was happy to see the battle flag get taken off of the state flag. It is nothing me or my family take pride in.
Confederate

Georgia

Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 AM

72,980 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Confederate

Georgia
Looks like a case of wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Let me start by saying that I am an Ole Miss fan, however, I am not up in arms about Colonel Reb. Colonel Reb was first portrayed as mascot for Ole Miss in 1979, and in 2003 he was eliminated. That's only 24 years, hardly a long standing tradition. The image of Colonel Reb does not seem to be a fitting mascot for a sports team, however, it does not offend me. I can see where it may offend a few overly sensitive people.

There are many things in this world that DO offend me, but people do not change things for me just because I am offended by them... I simply exercise my ability to deal with them or ignore them. What happens when a minority of people decide they are offended by the United States flag because of the atrocities commited against Native Americans? Should we change the flag?

I understand that some people are offended by some things, but we better wake up because if we let political correctness go too far there will be nothing left of our history, and you won't be able to do or say much of anything because it may offend someone. What happens when something YOU think is socially acceptable gets taken away because a minority of people think it's offensive?

We are creating a society that cannot cope with the inevitable challenges of life, and mark my words, if we change everything that is offensive to someone diversity and tolerance will eventually die.

Very good post! And 24 years! That's it?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 PM

76 posts, read 110,211 times
Although the black bear does look stupid, I understand the change. I am amazed the state flag never changed and that 60% of MS wanted it that way. That truly speaks volumes on how far MS has come since the civil rights era.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM

76 posts, read 110,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
I find liberals offensive, can we remove them from the country?

Oh yeah, spoken like a real American...

I guess they don't teach the Constitution where you went to school.

DUH...it's because of the Constitution...liberals don't quite seem to grasp its meaning...and I'll take it a step further...lets just lynch the whole lot of them because they are worthless leaches on this country. They are like a cancer on society...and you know what cancer is...nobody wants it and it never goes away! Like Michael Savage says... liberalism is a sickness!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Lightbulb Just An FYI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
DUH...it's because of the Constitution...liberals don't quite seem to grasp its meaning...and I'll take it a step further...lets just lynch the whole lot of them because they are worthless leaches on this country. They are like a cancer on society...and you know what cancer is...nobody wants it and it never goes away! Like Michael Savage says... liberalism is a sickness!
That would be an interesting sight to see---someone attempting to 'lynch' someone else, simply because you in your infinite (lack of) wisdom seem to think that's a real peachy-keen solution to the 'problem', as it were...

Newsflash---this is the United States Of America, and last time I looked, there was room within her borders for liberals, conservatives, and people of every other imaginable stripe

People like you amaze me, sitting in the imagined safety of your PC, throwing all sorts of childish and wrong-headed insults onto the 'wall' of the Internet, hoping they'll stick...just because I may not agree with a conservative neighbor/coworker/friend-family member, doesn't mean I'm going to label them as a cancer, or start some inane cry of 'get a rope!'

Pea-brained, narrow-minded trash talking is a sickness, and as such, I guess you must be posting from an intensive care ward somewhere...you need to dig deep in your pockets, find some change, and call somebody who might actually give a flying fiddler's expletive deleted about your nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi