Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Confederate soldiers were not fighting to protect the "peculiar institution", but to defend their families and homes against an invasive and occupying force.

There would have been no invading forces had the slaveowners not rebelled against The United States. Non slave owning white southerners were duped into fighting to protect the interests of the slaveowners. A rich man's war and a poor man's fight. Note that in areas of the South where slavery was uncommon, such as east Tennessee, the rebellion was not supported by the citizenry and many men from such areas fought in The United States Army to suppress the rebellion; over 20,000 east Tennesseans did so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Confederate soldiers were not fighting to protect the "peculiar institution", but to defend their families and homes against an invasive and occupying force.
The elites were trying to protect the institution of slavery and used poor Whites to fight their fight. The Confederate forces drew first blood by attacking Ft. Sumter.

In the Articles of Secession, slavery is mentioned a few times: Declaration of Causes of Secession

Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
There would have been no invading forces had the slaveowners not rebelled against The United States. Non slave owning white southerners were duped into fighting to protect the interests of the slaveowners. A rich man's war and a poor man's fight. Note that in areas of the South where slavery was uncommon, such as east Tennessee, the rebellion was not supported by the citizenry and many men from such areas fought in The United States Army to suppress the rebellion; over 20,000 east Tennesseans did so.
You touched on something very important. Elite planters and politicians were the ones trying to hold on to the institution of slavery. It was a way of life to them. They used poor Whites to fight a rich man's war.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I am not an Ole Miss fan but I have to say its sad that PC won out here. I detest political correctness. Hiding images of the old south, the civil war and the Confederacy is just insane. Yes some people may be offended by this history, but that is TOO BAD. Just because your offended does not mean you have the right to dictate to everyone else how they should celebrate their local culture and history. I display confederate images, the first national flag, bonnie blue and yes the dreaded battle flag. Do I do this to make a racial statement?? NO. I do it because I support southern history and because I believe in states rights. I also see the flags of the confederacy displayed on houses and cars near where I live (TN). I respect the effort the confederates made against federal tyranny, even though the north was victorious. Unforntunately that victory emboldened them to the point that government power grew and grew, and well look where we are now. That is a whole other topic. Really I think Ole Miss fans should not only show up with the old mascots image everywhere, they also should show up waving the stars and bars. Stand up in defiance of the leftist PC commies. Its time to stand up for our constitutional rights, and for southern rights.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am not an Ole Miss fan but I have to say its sad that PC won out here. I detest political correctness. Hiding images of the old south, the civil war and the Confederacy is just insane. Yes some people may be offended by this history, but that is TOO BAD. Just because your offended does not mean you have the right to dictate to everyone else how they should celebrate their local culture and history. I display confederate images, the first national flag, bonnie blue and yes the dreaded battle flag. Do I do this to make a racial statement?? NO. I do it because I support southern history and because I believe in states rights. I also see the flags of the confederacy displayed on houses and cars near where I live (TN). I respect the effort the confederates made against federal tyranny, even though the north was victorious. Unforntunately that victory emboldened them to the point that government power grew and grew, and well look where we are now. That is a whole other topic. Really I think Ole Miss fans should not only show up with the old mascots image everywhere, they also should show up waving the stars and bars. Stand up in defiance of the leftist PC commies. Its time to stand up for our constitutional rights, and for southern rights.
I personally don't have a problem with the name being changed. I don't see the big deal. I will admit to how I feel about this. I don't like the Confederate flag, or anything commemorating it. I don't consider the Civil War a battle for "states rights. It was a rich man's war fought by poor people. The elites and planters stood up and openly admitted that they wanted to keep and maintain slavery. It's in the Articles of Secession. This is why I don't want anything to do with anything Confederate. I can't respect the efforts of the Confederacy. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, I can't respect it. I don't respect it at all.

If Ole Miss wants to change their mascot, by all means, I have not problem.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I personally don't have a problem with the name being changed. I don't see the big deal. I will admit to how I feel about this. I don't like the Confederate flag, or anything commemorating it. I don't consider the Civil War a battle for "states rights. It was a rich man's war fought by poor people. The elites and planters stood up and openly admitted that they wanted to keep and maintain slavery. It's in the Articles of Secession. This is why I don't want anything to do with anything Confederate. I can't respect the efforts of the Confederacy. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, I can't respect it. I don't respect it at all.

If Ole Miss wants to change their mascot, by all means, I have not problem.
You just described every war. they are all fought by the poor to the benefit of the wealthy.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
This is ridiculous. I don't understand how the Colonel was offensive and needed to be replaced as a mascot. The Washington Redskins are next.

There are plenty of high schools in Mississippi that use the "Confederates" as their mascot, soon that will be outlawed too.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
You just described every war. they are all fought by the poor to the benefit of the wealthy.
But in the context of the Civil War, this is what you have to understand. There are those who say that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War. The issue of slavery was a big part of this. The elites and planters who owned slavery feared losing their slaves and the institution of slavery ending. However, most of the White population in the South didn't own slavery. The elites had to convince those who didn't own slaves, to fight their war.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Well, I would consider this. The Black Bears, well you could that part of southern culture, and Mississippi culture. William Faulkner did write a short story called "The Bear". Southern culture can still be represented.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
It is unfair to the brave men who fought on both sides to attach the politics of the rich elite to them. Slavery was one of several reasons the civil war was fought. Im tired of people projecting every single confeferate as an evil slave owning animal. Often the politics of those in power have nothing to do with the guys in the trenches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi