U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 9,445 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate from the North back down South. Previously I had lived in Florida. What I was wondering was how much are the average electric bills for a home about 1,500 sq ft? Also, where are the safest areas to move with two young school age children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,168 times
I would say for that square footage with 2 kids your electric would run about $120.... Really depends on alot of factors. As far as schools, What are your kids ages and grade?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,600,249 times
The safest areas for children....Check schooldigger.com and look at the rankings of best schools in the state based on math and english scores, which is a pretty good reflection of the safest areas. It shows Long Beach, Pass Christian, Ocean Springs, St. Martin, and north of I-10 West Wortham and North Woolmarket.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,168 times
Brickpatio, Thats a pretty cool site. Thanks for sharing that this us!!

Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithEquity,com View Post
I would say for that square footage with 2 kids your electric would run about $120.... Really depends on alot of factors. As far as schools, What are your kids ages and grade?
Thank you for the info. The children are elementary. What concerned me was a program on tv the other night which showed a family in Slidell, LA who paid several hundred per month for electic. I have been looking at Pass Christian, BSL, D'Iberville, Long Beach but am unsure. We don't want big city and we want small town safety.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
The safest areas for children....Check schooldigger.com and look at the rankings of best schools in the state based on math and english scores, which is a pretty good reflection of the safest areas. It shows Long Beach, Pass Christian, Ocean Springs, St. Martin, and north of I-10 West Wortham and North Woolmarket.
Thanks, I'll look up St. Martin, West Wortham and North Woolmarket. I've seen D'Iberville mentioned how's that area?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,600,249 times
North Woolmarket elementary school is in the growing area north I-10 near the brand-new Hwy 67. It feeds into D'Iberville High School. Depending on your budget, the Tradition community is brand-new and very nice, trying to recapture the feeling of small towns from generations ago. There are other more affordable homes sprinkled around this area.The actual town of D'Iberville south of I-10 I would describe as safe and working class. There is also St. Patrick's Catholic school on Hwy 67 which is highly rated. Over in Hancock County, the Diamondhead community, just north of Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis is also very safe and new homes built over the last 5 to 25 years or so. For safety all those communities are totally safe. Bay St. Louis is very charming and feels like an old-timey home town that's blessed with a beach and bay. Pass Christian is elegant. Long Beach is cozy, unpretentious and very affordable. Ocean Springs is a little closer to the action, just over the bridge from Biloxi, and has a very trendy downtown area. North of I-10, to the north of Biloxi and Gulfport, is a mix of suburban and rural, with the main shopping areas positioned at exits along I-10.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 AM

Many thanks. You're a great source of information. Glad to hear about St. Pat's. We are Catholic, defintely working middle class people. We do scrimp to put the kids in private school and will continue if possible. The plan is to rent for one year so we can find the best place to buy. I guess 125k to 150k would be ideal. A little nervous about the insurance rates and need to check into that too. I'll look around the towns you've mentioned - thanks again.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM

767 posts, read 2,000,010 times
If you look South of I-10, be very aware of the insurance rates, they will be much higher.
I lived awhile in Ocean Springs in a new house,reasonably well constructed and insulated, about 1800 sq. ft with a heat pump and I think my electric bill year round averaged about $120, higher in the summer, lower in the winter. Before Katrina my insurance was about $650 per year, three years later, it was about $2300. I lived South of I-10

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Unfortunately, Pass Christian, Long Beach and BSL and towns south of I-10 definitely appear to have some charm. I haven't been able to find much about N Woolmarket and not too sure yet about D'Iberville being a good fit, quaint or charming. Renting is probably a the best idea for at least a year. Could also live south for a year to get a good feel while looking a little further inland for saftey sake. Any ideas about nice safe complexes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi