U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:11 PM

37 posts, read 141,676 times

Advertisements

What about the Sumrall area? I hear that is a good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 27,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1137 View Post
Our family will soon be relocating from Ohio to the Hattiesburg/Laurel area. From our research so far, it seems that Oak Grove is a good school district. We are looking for a nice area to raise our four small children aged 1, 3, 5, and 9. We want a welcoming community that will embrace newcomers with lots of family oriented activity. Coming from a Bible-based, non-denominational church here, we'll also be looking for a somewhat similar church with a strong children's ministry. Any suggestions?
hey move to petal a little substidary off of hattiesburg petal has the best schools in mississippi and they are getting a new one. i had a home there in the reese creek community off of goodluck rd. and loved it. it is so beautiful there. i wish we could move back. i recommend petal to anyone. it is considered forrest county. you will love it there. do not move to laurel it is awful and so many tornados in jones county always if any bad weather they always,always hit jones county in laurel. if you are an average income you can find a great house in petal or even if you are a large income family petal is the place. if you don't have 300,000 plus in dollars you can live in the lake serene or canbrake area. it is packed with people and the traffic on 98 is awful. you will be sorry if you move out that way my mom lives out in that area and everytime i went to see her i would have a nervous break down. oh my gosh during christmas season it is impossible. move to petal you will get tons more for your money!! especially with all those youngens!!! good luck i wish i were you. usm rocks!!! southern miss

Old 09-21-2008, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 27,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbelle View Post
What about the Sumrall area? I hear that is a good school.
sumrall suxs it is small you will have to drive into hattiesburg for anything!!! groceries, walmart,target don't move there!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEN7 View Post
I go to River of Life and it's an awesome non-denominational church and school! Oak Grove is the place to be. There are many family friendly neighborhoods here. OG is in Lamar county. Lamar county taxes are lower than Forrest County and Lamar county schools provide better programs.
This is an old post that I have just found. ROLC is NOT where you want to go to church. Just say NO!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 AM

9 posts, read 18,111 times
Stay Away From Laurel! It is a third world country. If you chat with people on the ground in the West Jones School District, they will tell you things are changing rapidly. Laurel has seen a massive migration of mexicans since 1998. They are starting to appear in the county school and inside 2-3 years due to non English speaking students, the West Jones test scores will be destroyed. Most people of means have already started fleeing Laurel.

Oak Grove is hands down the best area in the Pine Belt. Hattiesburg does not have great private schools on par with Jackson Prep or St Andrew's. Oak Grove is your best bet. And there are some amazing deals on homes in the area right now. Again people moving away & foreclosures in "Canebroke". Not sure if Heatherwood (Heatherwood Dr & Fairmont Pl) right off 40th Ave is in the Oak Grove District but deals of a lifetime on houses are awaiting someone in that neighborhood. And the Lincoln Road Ext. makes for quick trips to Oak Grove HS.

Now this comes from someone with family there but I think "The Grove Church" The Grove Church or Temple West Campus Temple Baptist Church, Hattiesburg MS would be a good fit for you. The Grove is a new but rapidly growing plat while Temple is by far the largest church in town with great programming for kids.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Default We just moved back here

The poster is right about Laurel. We have just bought a business in Petal , and Petal is awesome.
The school district in Petal is the very best.
Oak Grove is a great area also.
Not sure about that school district.
River of Life is an awesome church.
Just remember you are in the Bible Belt.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,155 times
Again I must say that River of Life Church is an AWFUL choice to make.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,024,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annbaxter View Post
Again I must say that River of Life Church is an AWFUL choice to make.
What makes you say this again? [just curious]

Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM

69 posts, read 190,924 times
We're moving to the Gulf Coast Region and pretty much had decided on Spanish Fort, AL, but now that I've read about Petal, I'm beginning to reconsider. How does it compare to Spanish Fort? Is it larger or smaller? Which do you think has a lower cost of living? What about the schools and shopping areas that Petal has to offer? We're looking for a new 4 bedroom house that isn't in a subdivision. Coming from the Atlanta area, we're ready for some peace and quiet. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
If you by some chance prefer older traditional neighborhoods--not gated or lakeside--don't overlook the University Heights area south of campus or Innswood or Audubon Park. Easy access to Presbyterian Christian School(private) or Thames elementary which is part of the Hattiesburg school district. (This district doesn't get the ratings of the more suburban schools because it is has a majority population that is disadvantaged(based on free lunch percentages) and that is why you are being steered to Petal and Oak Grove.) But PCS is right in town and in the historic area if you like that type of neighborhood there is the Sacred Heart Catholic school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi