U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A "real" guy isn't ashamed to express what he wants. I like designer clothes but I wouldn't base my move off of being able to purchase them locally. MS just isn't the place for him.
Exactly, but this person is no " real " man or woman if their biggest complaint is about the availability of Gucci in MS. Wow! I wish that was my biggest complaint in life. It's very infantile on his part. Should we all be soo lucky?!!! Nah, I wouldn't want to be that oblivious to the world around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM

564 posts, read 2,104,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

The ideal in Mississippi seems to be to keep one's mouth running continuously, without conveying anything of substance. Substance is considered bad form, as is Critical Analysis. Again, I don't think one can blame anyone. It's a Celtic culture, and as my Decorator says, "Celtic people use words to amuse and manipulate, rather than to instruct or communicate." Wish he'd told be that twenty years ago. Would have saved me a lot of wondering.
Wow, it's funny you say that, because that's exactly how I feel about all these long winded posts you're tossing out there. A lot of paragraphs written without conveying anything of substance. Wordy for the sake of being wordy. Kinda like Faulkner.

Oh, and how nice of you to throw the Irish and Scottish under the bus. My ancestors thank you. (I'm Irish, so that was sarcasm.)

To the OP: Order some clothes off the internet, go to New Orleans to shop, or move. I order Abercrombie online myself, and J.Crew and Polo Ralph Lauren. I could care less about having one nearby. When I did live in Mississippi, the Jackson mall was only a drive away.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,103,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
What a snob.

No offence, but u aint that intelligent arent u ?

what were u thinkin moving to MISSISSIPPI?
It aint like u didnt know it was "redneck" as u call it.
it aint like u didnt know people hunt in ms.

For a snobby fellow like you i would suggest just stay out of the south entirely and go to NYC or smth.
Your spelling and grammar doesn't make you seem intelligent either.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
I was born and raised in CA and was not to happy to move to Mississippi. But after living here for 14 years I have fallen in love with it's southern charm and the wonderful people. I do not like to hunt or do "red neck" things, but I have made some wonderful redneck friends and love them to pieces. I am moving this May and will miss Mississippi very much. New Orleans isn't too far for a great weekend getaway either. The coast line is a beautiful site on my way to work each day too.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 AM

3,229 posts, read 4,192,873 times
[quote=undertheironsea;17475906]
Oh, and how nice of you to throw the Irish and Scottish under the bus.

I don't recall specifying either group. However, the Scottish are considered Founding Stock. Theirs was the first (non-Hebrew) nation to attain 100% literacy. The Scots are lovely, reserved, learned people, who did more than anyone else, to shape America and its institutions. Neither they, nor the churches they prefer, are loud. And Old Stock Scots in Mississippi received their share of disrespect and abuse from the newcomers.

So quaint, BTW, that you find Faulkner devoid of content. I'm no Faulkner fan (when I want to read about poor people, I go to Flannery O'Connor or Carson McCullers), but am honored to be dissed in the same breath with him. Come to think of it, I need to read about Faulkner's Snopes Family in more depth. Maybe that's why he rubbed me the wrong way: Faulkner hit a little too close to home....

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-20-2011 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 AM

35 posts, read 65,770 times
Don't you hate the mtv crowd....it's a shame she can't shop for her special items....made in china anyway!!!! But aleast you can ride the back roads here and have people wave to you....try that in las vegas,or atlanta...you will be shot

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,192,873 times
Default Well, nothing says 'Taste & Class' like a '71 Chevelle

[quote=savage71chevelless;17505066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post

Lady, this sh*t that you keep posting here is tired and worn out. Nobody on here could care less about your name dropping, your education, your achievements, your snobbery and your mindless rambling drivel.
And how sweet of you, dear, to continually pop in and provide us with illustrations of the mentality that drives Mississippi's best and brightest out of the state. At every juncture in my life, when I was about to take a risk, to be something bigger, there was always some kind person like yourself, willing to offer an encouraging "Who do you think you are, girl..."

I can't even begin to tell you how very special you are, dear.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM

5,844 posts, read 15,912,360 times
Just wondering why a woman in Oregon is posting her opinions in the Mississippi forum.
And why Mississippians are bothering to reply.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 PM

579 posts, read 1,144,722 times
This article explains why Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA:

ISS - A Portrait of Mississippi: A new report shines light on poverty in the struggling state (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/02/a-portrait-of-mississippi-a-new-report-provides-statistics-on-poverty-in-the-struggling-state.html - broken link)

It seems like there is lots of bashing of Mississippi on this site. Based on what I read here, why would anyone chose to live in Mississippi, when other states offer a higher quality of life and a better opportunity to earn a higher standard of living?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM

767 posts, read 2,000,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
ISS - A Portrait of Mississippi: A new report shines light on poverty in the struggling state (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/02/a-portrait-of-mississippi-a-new-report-provides-statistics-on-poverty-in-the-struggling-state.html - broken link)

It seems like there is lots of bashing of Mississippi on this site. ?
Its a sickness. It mainly affects people from other states. There is no cure.
I think the scientific term is MISSISSIPPI BASHING, but there may be other terms.
Just possibly you may have the sickness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi