U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM

110 posts, read 318,384 times

Advertisements

I like analytical people, even if they disagree with me. My friends and I disagree a lot on politics and social issues, but they still have respect for my views since it's all well thought out. But the type of answers I hear in MS are usually "just because it's what I think" or "I don't know why, I just think it's that way" or "you're wrong and I'm right, HEY EVERYBODY THIS GUY IS WRONG!!!" It reminds me of talking with very young children.

I find that most often, when people come to the end of their arguments, they usually resort to, "Well, it's in the Bible" or "Because it's the Will of God"

BTW, I've been up late the past few nights reading the Mississippi threads. They're quite entertaining! I've been up way past my bed time. (I was looking for info on my neighboring town, Greenville, RI - instead I found the "Avoid Greenville, MS at all Costs" thread. People in RI bash the state up one side and back the other, but informally (and to the local radio talk shows, where it still more or less is "in house".) But to read the RI thread on CD you would think it was all wine and roses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 01:11 PM

3,227 posts, read 4,177,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Eugenics is only nasty in a PC riddled Western culture. Singapore has had a voluntary eugenics program for years and China has a similar type of program. In these countries well over 80% of the people support the programs, because they think of them in a different way. Instead of saying "does this have the potential to offend somebody" they say "how does this help us, and how does it hurt us". Also if you talk with people that are highly educated in genetics/biology you'll find the majority agree in the possibilities of eugenics- it's the implementation that concerns people.

Honestly MS would be much better off if the government offered a small amount of money ($500/year) for women ages 18-25 to VOLUNTARILY get Norplant or a similar type of birth control installed (for lack of a better word). It could even be $500 education vouchers. But, since this is a eugenics program it can't happen.

There are still a couple sperm banks the focus on intelligence, ut there aren't many available. Her post (while I don't agree 100% with it) was pretty accurate and a common view among many top geneticists. Discovery channel had a great documentary about one sperm bank, if you get the chance you should watch it:
Genius Sperm Bank - Feature - Discovery Channel

Oh, and one last thing. We already practice eugenics in America. We pay the dumbest & laziest people to have children, while we tax the hell out of the smartest people. Unfortunately that is the opposite of what a country should do.
I followed that link, and was astonished at how desperately and brazenly The 'Discovery' Channel attemped to demonize everyone involved in that endeavor. Most comical was the attempt to demonstrate that the 'experiment' was a failure, by (after admitting that the Kid really was phenomenally intelligent...IQ 180, etc...) interviewing a young man conceived with the aid of the Sperm Bank, and quoting him as saying that he believed that being intelligent hadn't made him a better person. Of course he would say that. It's called 'humility'. So, basically, they trump fact with 'feelings', as the Liberal Orthodoxy always does. Oy!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,639 times
What a horrible post. I love Mississippi. This is not a red neck state.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,532,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlerMax View Post
What a horrible post. I love Mississippi. This is not a red neck state.

Ok Seriously. I love a lot of things about Mississippi. But Mississippi is undoubtedly a very redneck state. It might even be the most redneck state in the country.

Have you actually lived anywhere but Mississippi?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM

76 posts, read 88,085 times
Care to qualify what a "red neck" is, and how this is such a bad thing? Please, enlighten me, I'm so confused.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
Care to qualify what a "red neck" is, and how this is such a bad thing? Please, enlighten me, I'm so confused.
I don't think it's a "bad thing" at all. But to suggest that Mississippi isn't a "redneck" state is a joke. The definition of "redneck" has certainly changed over the years. But if you asked 100 people to name 10 redneck states, I would guess that 99% of the people would include Mississippi on that list.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
And your point is? If you read my previous post, I ASKED, what is a "red neck" and why this is somehow bad. Furthermore, who gives a flying F__K what the rest of the country "thinks"...I'm sure there are rednecks everywhere. Are they really bad people who commit murder, or are they rapists, do they torture people...is randy8876 one of them...just what do they do that is so awful and that MS should not want any of them??
Do you lack reading comprehension skills? Go back and reread my post. I specifically stated that (1) Redneck is not necessarily a bad thing. And (2) That the term "redneck" is subjective...meaning it is open to interpretation.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM

76 posts, read 88,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Do you lack reading comprehension skills? Go back and reread my post. I specifically stated that (1) Redneck is not necessarily a bad thing. And (2) That the term "redneck" is subjective...meaning it is open to interpretation.
I ASKED...WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF A REDNECK. YOU USED THE TERM, SO DEFINE IT!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I ASKED...WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF A REDNECK. YOU USED THE TERM, SO DEFINE IT!

See. This is why Mississippi gets a bad name.

My definition of a redneck is simply a white member of the working class. Generally, the term is applied to those who live in the southeastern part of the United States (but I've known plenty of rednecks from all over), drive trucks, maybe proudly display the confederate flag, are churchgoers (usually Baptist) are politically conservative, hunt & fish, own knives and guns, ..... Again, the term is subjective. There are probably as many different definitions as there are types of redneck

While there are certainly some negative connotations to the term. Generally, a redneck is a "good ole boy". And there is nothing in this world wrong with that.

I love a good debate as much as anyone, MrBeluksee. But I just can't see wasting anymore time on this issue. The title of this thread is "Why is Mississippi so horrible? And the truth is, while Mississippi has a lot of problems, she isn't "horrible".

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM

663 posts, read 767,107 times
I read this entire thread all at once, all 15 pgs, took me quite some time too. My final thoughts aren't based on the topic but more so the attitude folks have when reading post they feel aren't complimentary regarding their home state. Why take it so personal? The op, Randy, Gloria, as well as others are still entitled to their opinions, whether it's in your favor or not. It doesn't make them trolls, idiots, morons, or any other derrogatory term you can come up with & the posters shouldn't be attacked for expressing themselves.

Forums are a great place to vent or express your opinions, really it's as simple as that, nothing more, nothing less. I enjoyed this thread & it's opinions, pro as well as con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi