U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

190 posts, read 600,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Things spiraled downhill quickly and ended up calling Nissan consumer affairs to lodge a complaint, and they got involved and made the sale happen. I've called in similar complaints about Popeye's and McDonalds.
I got a good laugh out of that one...let us know when you get them folks down at the wal-mart and the Barnhill's Buffet straightened out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM

371 posts, read 325,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
I got a good laugh out of that one...let us know when you get them folks down at the wal-mart and the Barnhill's Buffet straightened out.
I avoid talking to employees at Wal-Mart on the rare occasion I go there. My fresh groceries I buy on base and I mail order the rest. I've stopped buying and renting movies and won't go to the theater, instead I use NetFlix

And I'm well aware that locals think calling in complaints is a waste. The car I was going to pay $14k for ended up costing $12,700 due to complaining. Popeye's sent me a free family meal certificate ($16) and McD's was the cheap one with a free value meal.

People here have low standards and expect poor work ethic. They will mock or laugh at outsiders that have high standards. It's definitely not a place that I would suggest raising a family because of all the poor values.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I avoid talking to employees at Wal-Mart on the rare occasion I go there. My fresh groceries I buy on base and I mail order the rest. I've stopped buying and renting movies and won't go to the theater, instead I use NetFlix

And I'm well aware that locals think calling in complaints is a waste. The car I was going to pay $14k for ended up costing $12,700 due to complaining. Popeye's sent me a free family meal certificate ($16) and McD's was the cheap one with a free value meal.

People here have low standards and expect poor work ethic. They will mock or laugh at outsiders that have high standards. It's definitely not a place that I would suggest raising a family because of all the poor values.

Glad you have been able to conveniently put all the residents of MS in such a nice little box. Just my observation, but seems as though you might have a bit more going on than high standards, but to each his own.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Glad you have been able to conveniently put all the residents of....... in such a nice little box.
This is one of my least favorite arguments. While "Southerners" will quickly claim having their own culture (putting themselves in a nice little box) they cry when others they do the same.

But, they are not alone. You can say anything positive about a group, for example "What I loved about Japan is the great customer service and hard work ethic", but say something negative ie. "In MS you can expect poor work ethic and poor customer service" and someone thinks the statement is unfair.

What I suspect is you're part of the problem in this state. As you keep your head in the sand the state gets worse, and the best you can do is try to attack the people that recognize how bad the state really is.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,125,370 times
Quote:
This is one of my least favorite arguments. While "Southerners" will quickly claim having their own culture (putting themselves in a nice little box) they cry when others they do the same.

But, they are not alone. You can say anything positive about a group, for example "What I loved about Japan is the great customer service and hard work ethic", but say something negative ie. "In MS you can expect poor work ethic and poor customer service" and someone thinks the statement is unfair.

What I suspect is you're part of the problem in this state. As you keep your head in the sand the state gets worse, and the best you can do is try to attack the people that recognize how bad the state really is.
You claim to not be snobbish, but you reek of it. I'm not even from Mississippi, but I just went on a vacation out there. Vicksburg of all places isn't nearly half as bad as you describe the whole state. And when southerners say they have their own culture, they mean it, that culture you snub has been around since before there was a USA.

Saying "Southern Culture", is not a box, it's a culture unique to that part of the country, your judging and remarks about everything else out there is what putting everything in a box means.. And judging by your other posts, you seem to snub darn near everyone else in Mississppi, you don't get much Southern Hospitality that way.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You claim to not be snobbish, but you reek of it. I'm not even from Mississippi, but I just went on a vacation out there. Vicksburg of all places isn't nearly half as bad as you describe the whole state. And when southerners say they have their own culture, they mean it, that culture you snub has been around since before there was a USA.

Saying "Southern Culture", is not a box, it's a culture unique to that part of the country, your judging and remarks about everything else out there is what putting everything in a box means.. And judging by your other posts, you seem to snub darn near everyone else in Mississppi, you don't get much Southern Hospitality that way.

Well, the things I posted are pretty accurate. And we can dance around the idea that "Southern Culture" isn't a box, so it's wonderful. But mention a list of things you don't like and it's an evil shallow way to box people in.

I honestly don't care how long their culture has been around. What matters to me is what exists right now, and the original author saying it resembles 3rd world is on track. It's not as run down as Philippines, but the crime rate is higher.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm out snubbing people. I've been out with plenty, went to bars with people, might go hunting with a guy over Christmas- BUT none of that changes any of the list I wrote.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Some facts about Vicksburg
Murder rate 12.1/100k double national average
Rape 104.7/100k three times national average
Robbery 197.4/100k 1.5times national average
Assault 439/100k 1.75 times national average
Burgulary 1933.4/100k nearly 3 times national
Theft 5212.1/100k 2.5 times national average.

Vicksburg has a declining population. Yes I have been there, and it looked pretty desolate. The Civil War history is interesting. You can see an old ironside that has been partially reconstructed. But, the downtown area just has a sketchy look to it.

Now for the US average:
Murder rate 5/100k
Rape 28.7/100k
Robbery 133/100k
Assault 262.8/100k
Burgulary 716.3/100k
Theft 2060.9/100k

Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM

307 posts, read 442,335 times
Although I'm not exactly a big fan of MS, the first post was downright rude...

Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You claim to not be snobbish, but you reek of it.
That's the ironic thing about this guy's arrogance, based on the information he's posted about himself, I'm not really clear as to where his negative attitude and arrogance come from, other than the fact he's been somewhere else, as have many people. Not really sure how that supposedly makes him better than anyone else. As you say, if this is the attitude he tends to portray in his daily life, then he probably gets what he's asking for in many instances.

Also, something I've noticed about many of the complaints about MS is they come from the crowd who seem to think bars and a shopping malls are what dictates quality of life. Interesting enough, when people in a similar situation to his grow up, a fair share will return to the state to put down roots, as MS provides quite a bit of opportunity, with a relaxed lifestyle to go along with that opportunity. Of course Mississippi isn't for everyone, and if he is here for only two years, good for him and us. Someone else will ship in for a new two year tour to replace him. Who knows, the next guy in might be a keeper.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
...I'm not really clear as to where his negative attitude and arrogance come from....Also, something I've noticed about many of the complaints about MS is they come from the crowd who seem to think bars and a shopping malls are what dictates quality of life.
I see that reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths, so let me help you.

This is why I don't like Mississippi. It's not due to malls and bars and shopping. It's a numbered list, so it's easy to read. I kept it simple and clear, so that most people (except you) can understand it.

1. Crime rates that are unbelievable. While the natives here in Meridian celebrate that the crime rate is not like NYC, they are too ignorant to realize NYC has a massively lower crime rate.

2. I hate welfare junkies and the career unemployed. But that's a way of life around here. Everyone has an excuse, I I really don't care to hear any of them.

3. I'm not a fan of hypocrites, but the state is full of them. The state is full of Christians yet they seem to think divorce, single parenting and crime is acceptable. Abortion is wrong, but unprotected premarital sex is right.

4. Lack of activities. I like biking, scuba, nightlife, hiking, national parks and sightseeing. Biking is possible, but sketchy since the drivers are the worst I've seen. How much Civil War sightseeing can a person do before it's boring?

5. All of the "keeping it real" or "thug life" culture. It's garbage, and it's everywhere.

6. The lack of intelligent people. It isn't so much that the people lack knowledge,I can understand and accept that. But they believe things that are not true, and are dead set it is a fact. There are a lot of people that seem to lack the ability to learn.

7. I sincerely hate paying $720 a month for an apartment just so I don't have to be in a slum. I paid $700 for a place in Hawaii and $680/month for a place in Japan. Both places were better located to work, shopping and fun without having to be surrounded by slums.

8. I enjoy fishing, just wish I could find some better places. Hawaii and Japan had great fishing, but it's saltwater and isn't really fair to compare to freshwater fishing.

9. Are there any non-muddy lakes that allow swimming?

10. I feel that free speech and free thought is severely stifled in this state. Mention the garbage cultures and people cry racism, mention the crime and you get outright denial. Wake up MS, if you want investors to come here you'll need to fix the problems here.

11. The South in general is lacking. MS, AL, LA and GA don't seem to have much to offer. All the cities with populations over 30,000 are so rundown and have crime rates that should make everyone ashamed. There are little areas of niceness, but if someone offers me a steak full of maggots and points to a corner and say "that part is good" I'd still throw the steak out.

For some reason people think it's arrogant to have values. It's arrogant to think that crime rates that are 200-300% the national average are unacceptable. It's arrogant to think that people should take care of their home. It's arrogant to think that the state should invest more in getting people out and doing things, and less in paying for them to collect welfare and unemployment. It's arrogant to think people should read up on a topic, before making completely wrong statements like they area facts.

If it would be easier for you I can start a new topic, so you won't get confused by all the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi