Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,815,027 times

Advertisements

Why is mississippi so horrible?

Mississippi isn't that bad, it could always be A WHOLE lot worse.......you could be in Alabama!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,734,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
This article explains why Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA:

ISS - A Portrait of Mississippi: A new report shines light on poverty in the struggling state (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/02/a-portrait-of-mississippi-a-new-report-provides-statistics-on-poverty-in-the-struggling-state.html - broken link)

It seems like there is lots of bashing of Mississippi on this site. Based on what I read here, why would anyone chose to live in Mississippi, when other states offer a higher quality of life and a better opportunity to earn a higher standard of living?
]

I briefly perused the article (which had a decided SPLC Victimization Industry slant), and noticed that among the 'recommendations' from the 'study', where was a glaring lack of suggestions along the lines of better Birth Control for the state's permanent underclass, or choosing high-IQ babydaddies (or at least Sperm from high-IQ men). Because Mississippi's biggest problem is its collective IQ.

IQ influences what we can do, and what choices we make. In aggregate, the effect is intensified, and produces whole subcultures where bad choices (such as smoking...or spending eighteen thousand Dollars on fancy wheels for a nineteen thousand Dollar car, when you live in a twenty thousand Dollar house...or guzzling soft drinks and Sweet Tea, when you and most of your family are morbidly obese...or renting room-fulls of matching furniture, when you could scrounge up plenty of furniture for free) become ingrained in the group's mores.

Too, there are the phenomena of Downward Assimilation and Surrender of Intelligence (in both cases, the brighter group takes on some of the behaviors of, and is stunted by, the less intelligent group). I saw this a lot, when I was in Mississippi.

Notice that the remaining Whites inside Hinds County (Mostly in Eastover/Fondren/Belhaven neighborhoods) have a 'Human Development' rating equal to that of Connecticut. That's because they're as smart as people in Connecticut.

Unfortunately, the state has very few concentrations of people like that. On average, Mississippians have the lowest IQ of people in any state.

The problem is that a huge portion of people there, as the direct or indirect result of heredity, lack the intelligence to do much of anything. Education and 'empowerment' have little effect. Improved nutrition has little effect. The only solutions (and there is zero chance of either being implemented) would be for the underclass to drastically lower its birthrate, or for better genetics to be insinuated/injected/introduced...whatever....into what is currently a permanent underclass.

If women at the bottom, who were dead-set on having babies, come Hell or high water, were inseminated with genetic material from men with IQs of 160 or higher, then the problem with Mississippi's perennially poor would disappear within a generation or two. Even if the Mother's IQ is 70, averaging that with 160 yields 115: five points shy of Med School material, but definitely high enough to function effectively within an advanced society. That's ten points higher than the overall average for Japan. It would take some realistic thinking, some planning, and much 'donorship' from the men of the Prometheus Society.

Not that this would ever happen. One of Mississippi's other problems is the valuing of Idealism over Realism. There's always some jingoistic 'reason' for just letting things get progressively worse. (the left end of the Bell Curve is reproducing at a high rate, while the right end of the curve is not. Plus, the intelligent and motivated tend to move to better places, while the less smart and less capable tend to stay right where they are...a phenomenon which has been observed, BTW, across a wide range of species)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-02-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM

10 posts, read 39,993 times
Just out of curiosity, what Norse Protestant pre-civil war immigrants are you refering to? MS has a very rich history but were the 1st major European groups that settled there the Spanish & French??? And Catholic......

Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Despite Mississippi's fiscal conservatism in which Medicaid, welfare, food stamps, and other social programs are often cut, eliminated, have tightened eligibility requirements, and strict employment criteria, Mississippi ranks as having the 2nd highest ratio of any state receiving federal aid. Per dollar of federal tax collected in 2005, Mississippi citizens received approximately $2.02 in the way of federal spending. This ranks the state 2nd highest nationally, and represents a increase from 1995, when Mississippi received $1.54 per dollar of taxes in federal spending and was 3rd highest the way of federal spending......What is up with this now? Has anything changed? It has been over 15ys since I was in MS.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Where to begin. 1962 was another world so let's forget that. The motel--isolated it was. The next motel had no problems. The aborigine was fired. So--what does that tell you? An isolated incident.
I have lived here for four decades and NEVER had any kind of incident like that. My parents had a similar experience while traveling through Virginia. Troublemkers at a motel. An 18 year old neighbor driving through Georgia on his way to Florida with friends was stabbed and killed in Georgia. I remember all of us in our town thinking what a horrible nightmare place Georgia must be. Georgia is actually a wonderful place.
What do you mean by ABORIGINE??? Are you equating an ignorant, fool with a native group of Australia???

Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
The Mississippi Link: News - Greenwood man caught having sex with hogs (http://www.mississippilink.com/news/article_ad8c2112-27ca-11e0-a2ab-001cc4c002e0.html - broken link)
Thank you! I needed a good laugh! I can imagine dialogue between the man and a friend, debating the merits of Hog Nookins versus Horse (but Nannygoat being the best of all...and don't forget those Chickens!).

And I loved the comment below: "Better hide yo kids, hide yo wife, an' hide yo Hogs, 'cause they rapin' evabodeh out here."

But they were 'show hogs'...so it was probably less nasty than with the poor animals in the concentration camps they call 'factory farms'.

In any event, he could be sentenced to over one hundred years. That's not so funny. When we moved away, Animal Cruelty in Mississippi was still just a misdemeanor. But since this involved Sex, it's a big woop. Torturing animals is fine: just don't be getting romantic with them. The state is still in the Dark Ages where anything involving Sex is concerned.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,974,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
]

I briefly perused the article (which had a decided SPLC Victimization Industry slant), and noticed that among the 'recommendations' from the 'study', where was a glaring lack of suggestions along the lines of better Birth Control for the state's permanent underclass, or choosing high-IQ babydaddies (or at least Sperm from high-IQ men). Because Mississippi's biggest problem is its collective IQ.

IQ influences what we can do, and what choices we make. In aggregate, the effect is intensified, and produces whole subcultures where bad choices (such as smoking...or spending eighteen thousand Dollars on fancy wheels for a nineteen thousand Dollar car, when you live in a twenty thousand Dollar house...or guzzling soft drinks and Sweet Tea, when you and most of your family are morbidly obese...or renting room-fulls of matching furniture, when you could scrounge up plenty of furniture for free) become ingrained in the group's mores.

Too, there are the phenomena of Downward Assimilation and Surrender of Intelligence (in both cases, the brighter group takes on some of the behaviors of, and is stunted by, the less intelligent group). I saw this a lot, when I was in Mississippi.

Notice that the remaining Whites inside Hinds County (Mostly in Eastover/Fondren/Belhaven neighborhoods) have a 'Human Development' rating equal to that of Connecticut. That's because they're as smart as people in Connecticut.

Unfortunately, the state has very few concentrations of people like that. On average, Mississippians have the lowest IQ of people in any state.

The problem is that a huge portion of people there, as the direct or indirect result of heredity, lack the intelligence to do much of anything. Education and 'empowerment' have little effect. Improved nutrition has little effect. The only solutions (and there is zero chance of either being implemented) would be for the underclass to drastically lower its birthrate, or for better genetics to be insinuated/injected/introduced...whatever....into what is currently a permanent underclass.

If women at the bottom, who were dead-set on having babies, come Hell or high water, were inseminated with genetic material from men with IQs of 160 or higher, then the problem with Mississippi's perennially poor would disappear within a generation or two. Even if the Mother's IQ is 70, averaging that with 160 yields 115: five points shy of Med School material, but definitely high enough to function effectively within an advanced society. That's ten points higher than the overall average for Japan. It would take some realistic thinking, some planning, and much 'donorship' from the men of the Prometheus Society.

Not that this would ever happen. One of Mississippi's other problems is the valuing of Idealism over Realism. There's always some jingoistic 'reason' for just letting things get progressively worse. (the left end of the Bell Curve is reproducing at a high rate, while the right end of the curve is not. Plus, the intelligent and motivated tend to move to better places, while the less smart and less capable tend to stay right where they are...a phenomenon which has been observed, BTW, across a wide range of species)
I know nothing of MS, although I did once cross the state line to buy a cookbook.

What you speak of is sounding like Eugenics, which is a pretty nasty thing to be talking about. Yeah, you may be well versed and write well, but tread carefully lest you be labeled as something less than intelligent yourself or something even worse. You are walking that fine line and glad I am not in your shoes. We wouldn't be having some manic episode or delusions of grandeur here, would we?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I know nothing of MS, although I did once cross the state line to buy a cookbook.

What you speak of is sounding like Eugenics, which is a pretty nasty thing to be talking about. Yeah, you may be well versed and write well, but tread carefully lest you be labeled as something less than intelligent yourself or something even worse. You are walking that fine line and glad I am not in your shoes. We wouldn't be having some manic episode or delusions of grandeur here, would we?
Well, those Jackson Junior League Cookbooks are pretty special.

But Heaven forbid anyone should evah disapprove of Little Me! Or call me 'manic' or 'delusional'. I don't know what I'd do! Or accuse me of harboring thoughts forbidden by the Liberal Orthodoxy! Oh, no...no...NEVAH! (clutches pearls).

So why is Eugenics 'nasty'? Because it's (conveniently for a 'Great World Religion hell-bent on importing the most malleable of its own people, so they can become America's dominant voting bloc?) associated with Hitler? Because Hitler's Pseudoscientists and Propaganda Writers perverted Eugenics in the same way they perverted every other science, from Astrology to Psychiatry?

You know, Hitler preferred Mercedes, and founded Volkswagen: but I don't see many people getting prissy about those.

Eugenics was a respectable science, long before the surname 'Hitler' was changed from 'Schicklgruber'. And in a Human Genome where Natural Selection has largely been eliminated (unless you consider the dysgenic effects of Sperm Competition and selection for the most violent and sexually predatory males, among the Urban Poor), its study is more relevant than ever. So it is curious that Eugenics, alone, should fall into disrepute because Hitler's people spun lies off it. Except that the science did not mesh well with the postwar objectives of the two religious groups which have, since WWII, come to dominate and subjugate others in the Western Democracies.

Oddly, Eugenics is often obliquely endorsed among the group whose coreligionists and relatives were Hitler's most prominent class of victims. However, the group whose enemies were slain by Hitler (justified, in part, by Nazi Pseudo-Eugenics) are the loudest of those who consider that science to be something unspeakable.

I don't blame them. I mean, if I were intent upon destroying the Western Democracies by flooding them with people incapable of critical analysis, I would lobby to suppress any science which might point out groups largely incapable of critical analysis. I can think of three "Great World Religions", crime syndicates of several flavors, and multinational business interests in more than one arena...all of which might see themselves as standing to profit from neutralizing the troublesome populations of the Western Democracies. Why cope with the meddling of Environmentalists and Zero Population Growth Advocates (and people likely to prevent corrupt governments), when you can replace them with people who cannot even conceive of 'The Environment', or 'perpetuity', or 'extinction'.

It is of inestimable value, that the Think Tanks of these interests are able to tap into the power of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. One common manifestation of the disorder is the Goody Two Shoes Narcissist (not a clinical term). We've all seen her. Teacher's pet. Tattletale. She who never uses 'vulgar language'. She who always thinks exactly what she's 'supposed to'. If those think tanks can cause people like her to believe that it makes her a 'good person' to believe a thing, then by damn (excuse me....by DARN....no, that stands for Damn...um... by Goodness) ... by Goodness, that's what she's going to believe. And she's not going to let logic or her powers of observation get in the way. Because she gets a Gold Star for believing utterly preposterous things (because the Authority Figures and the prevailing Orthodoxy say they're so). Amen.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Ohmagosh! I called 'Astrology' a Science....when it's the absolute QUEEN of the Pseudosciences.

I meant 'Astronomy'.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:11 AM

371 posts, read 392,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Eugenics is only nasty in a PC riddled Western culture. Singapore has had a voluntary eugenics program for years and China has a similar type of program. In these countries well over 80% of the people support the programs, because they think of them in a different way. Instead of saying "does this have the potential to offend somebody" they say "how does this help us, and how does it hurt us". Also if you talk with people that are highly educated in genetics/biology you'll find the majority agree in the possibilities of eugenics- it's the implementation that concerns people.

Honestly MS would be much better off if the government offered a small amount of money ($500/year) for women ages 18-25 to VOLUNTARILY get Norplant or a similar type of birth control installed (for lack of a better word). It could even be $500 education vouchers. But, since this is a eugenics program it can't happen.

There are still a couple sperm banks the focus on intelligence, ut there aren't many available. Her post (while I don't agree 100% with it) was pretty accurate and a common view among many top geneticists. Discovery channel had a great documentary about one sperm bank, if you get the chance you should watch it:
Genius Sperm Bank - Feature - Discovery Channel

Oh, and one last thing. We already practice eugenics in America. We pay the dumbest & laziest people to have children, while we tax the hell out of the smartest people. Unfortunately that is the opposite of what a country should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi