U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

186 posts, read 321,799 times

Advertisements

Tama,
This is a wonderful post. You are obviously a very wise person.

Congratulations on having the patience, good will,and gracious attitude that allowed you to find and appreciate the good things about life in Mississippi.

You stand in marked contrast to the angry gentleman that started this thread.

I think your angels would find refreshment no matter where you lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

613 posts, read 999,932 times
<Mention the garbage cultures and people cry racism>

Spot on- thank you. This is pretty much par for the course, all over the U.S. these days....
No one wants to hear/admit the truth...!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,530 times
If you come to a place with the idea that you won't like it, then you probably won't. There is good and bad everywhere. I haven't liked every place that I've lived, but I always tried to make the most of it. Otherewise, I think I could have become a miserable person.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM

172 posts, read 292,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I'd researched about the fishing, cost of rentals and areas to travel to. I was completely caught off guard by the amount of crime and severely rundown appearance of the cities. I've visited Jackson, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, Memphis and Meridian and all the cities are in rough shape. Bad enough so that I find them embarassing to show to my friends from out of country. While many Southerners are proud of the ability to have a nice town of 5,000 people or less, I don't see the shame in having every big city in the South look like a failure. The only place I've seen that had worse conditions were the favelas of Brazil and the shanty towns of the Philippines.

Here's some info:
http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=Mississippi

"How much does a minimum wage worker in Mississippi earn per year?
A full time minimum wage worker in Mississippi working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, will earn $290.00 per week, or $15,080.00 per year. The national poverty line for a family unit consisting of two people is $14,570/year. "

Even working at McDonald's you won't be in poverty. The issue is people refusing to work or working full time at low wages and having children. Poverty is usually a choice they make by their own foolish actions.

There's a book I read quite a few years back called IQ and the Wealth of Nations. More recently a report was published called IQ and the Wealth of States which shows a strong correlation between IQ and financial success of a region. Combine this with MS "brain drain" problem and the future for this state does not look bright.

I personally wouldn't suggest this state to anyone that plans to have children, as you would most likely be exposing your children to a lot of bad values, denying them a decent education and putting them in an area where adults make the same excuses that 5 year olds make. It's just not a recipe for success.
Randy hun,
You seem like a man with a great deal of education, why would you spend so much time bashing on here, and carrying on so on this thread? I am curious, are you bored? I do thank you as well for serving in the military. I hope you find your happy again!! Good luck. Maybe you just need to let this all go huh. take care.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 11,343 times
Beautiful...

Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM

33 posts, read 61,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
On the City-Data forum there are about 100 different topics. If we could just get one more and call it "SOUTH BASHING" or something to that effect, all the professional South Haters would have a place to gather to spew their hatred.
Amen. For some reason, people who say that Southerners are only looking at one point of view and not accepting others, why do they not accept our points of view? I accept theirs, and respectfully disagree. But instead, they just say were poor, lazy, stupid, inbred, church loving, gun toting, racist hicks. How accepting the north really is

Plus, if you just come to any town in Mississippi with a positive attitude, and don't try to bring your drastic ways, you will be happy and fine. The crime happens to be in black communities sadly, which is why I will be starting a church group and charity foundation to help fund the poorer, black areas of the delta and Jackson.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 AM

10 posts, read 37,004 times
Hello. I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. Randy8876 you made some very good points. I am not from MS, but my ex was. He was from the Delta region, and today (as it was 15yrs ago) crime is outrageous for such small towns. Not one person in his entire family (that he could recall) graduated HS and have no qualms about it. His grandparents live off food stamps and SSI and support 6 of their great-grandchildren because their mothers could not stay off crack cocaine.

@Jacksonian, I am not trying to bash any area, as we all know there are pos & neg in any area. I'm not dogging people who have to rely on welfare. Welfare is there to help people and many people need help @some time in their life. But what struck me when we first got together was that many people in MS Delta (that I personally encountered) had no motivation, no sense of personal responsibility, no cultural literacy, and no hope. I have only lived in 3 states but I have never encountered the level of ignorance equal to that of MS. If I politely disagreed with someone they wanted to fight me. If I expressed desire for higher education, a certain type of career, or used proper grammar, I was told I was trying to be White (this was in the 1990s) by my ex's friends and relatives. Having an ethnically vague look caused me to get constant questions of "what are you?" from total strangers. I mean don't you want to say hello 1st??? I cannot comment too much on race relations there, because I had very little contact with anyone who was not Black.

I hope things can get better there because some areas of MS are nice and there is much potential in other areas.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 AM

211 posts, read 489,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Nice careful choosing of words. I notice that you never worked for the FBI, just wanted to. Maybe you've seen Mindhunters one too many times?

How long did you attend before you dropped out of college? Let me guess, you didn't "drop out", but "chose a different path in life".

By the way, here is a post where you can find people like you:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/true-crime/196468-what-goes-mind-sociopath.html

It's a series of women that play pschologist by diagnosing men they don't like as a sociopath. According to people like you there's a massive outbreak of sociopathes that are sweeping America.

Attn: Nancy the reader-
You deleted my response to Randy because it was in your words "over the top". What was over the top about it? Calling him a sociopath? Randy can call me a college dropout with a TV education (not true), he can bash people left and right on this thread and you delete my post?!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM

35 posts, read 65,699 times
Been all over hawaii and if you are not a native...you are an outlander!!!!!have lived alot of places...some good some bad...but so damm cold!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM

371 posts, read 325,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotanker View Post
Been all over hawaii and if you are not a native...you are an outlander!!!!!have lived alot of places...some good some bad...but so damm cold!!!!!!
Yes, some Hawaiians aren't keen on non-locals. But most people are very friendly there, and there were a lot less shootings and fights at bars/clubs there than in MS. And there are things to keep people active just about non-stop. The place isn't without some problems, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi