Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I would suggest you keep your "black son" in your own country. It's obvious that he is not equipped to travel on his own.
Wow! When I read so many comments such as this one, I have my answer to the OPs question: Why I don't like Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Wow! When I read so many comments such as this one, I have my answer to the OPs question: Why I don't like Mississippi

"Black son" in quotations because she doesn't have a black son dummy. The whole story is nothing more than a troll. And a very obvious one at that.

I grew up in a military family all over the world, my friend. The only color I know is green.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Very good points. I couldn't help but think of my white teenaged grandson and his black best friend. They go everywhere together and never have any problems. I see mixed race couples all the time at ball games and nobody seems to even notice. We've come a long way and we don't need more ridiculous stories like this.
Exactly. When we lived in the Mississippi Delta, my white daughter went to prom with her black boyfriend and no one even batted an eye.

I'm glad you posted....I was starting to think I was the only one who saw this post for exactly what it is. An attempt to troll.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM

190 posts, read 692,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I was starting to think I was the only one who saw this post for exactly what it is. An attempt to troll.
I think most folks recognize this guy for what he is, but it is interesting to string folks like him along just to see how wrapped around the axles they're willing to get with their stories.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:11 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I couldnt help but notice this guy also threw Louisiana under the bus. He says he went to New Orleans but did not mention anything further. NOLA was creamed by a very destructive hurricane and flood. The condition of that city is hardly indicative of what the rest of the state is like. Had he visited Lafayette or the Northshore instead, I bet he would have been pleasantly surprised by what he saw. Louisiana is quite tolerant of diverse cultures and ideas, because of its background. When settlers from old Acadia were expelled from Nova Scotia, they vowed not to treat outsiders the way they had been treated, and even today the traditions follow those principles. Cajuns enjoy life and what Louisiana has to offer, because they feel that one day they may be expelled again (though highly unlikely).

From what Ive experienced of Mississippi and other southern states nearby, part of the obesity problem has to do with climate. It is simply too hot and humid to get large amounts of outdoor exercise. The heat makes people slow and lazy, and even affects people like myself who are actually UNDERWEIGHT (I weigh in at 118 pounds at the age of 29) so I can imagine what it would do to people above my weight. I also try to practice some healthy eating habits, with fruits and vegetables and drinking mostly tea and water, some of which are exotic varieties from Asia like Durian fruits and Oolong black tea. I am willing to bet you would find plenty of Mississippians as well who live a healthier lifestyle, and adapt to the hot, humid conditions as best they can.
Down here you cant really hike very much or rock climb or ski. There are few mountains if any, and few crystal clear lakes. There are no elaborate downtown city infrastructures, because this part of the country is much less dense than New england or islands. People spread out during the suburban sprawl era. Poverty is a problem, but that has been the case since slavery was abolished and southern states were suddenly forced to make a living in other ways. The more remote areas really do not have much of a choice with how they eat or live, and there are areas like that all around the US, but it is worse here again, due to climate. Im not excusing the South for being slower to progress, but I am saying to you, Randy (if you are even still reading this) that these states are not completely ignorant to their faults. They are not completely stuck in one way of life, and if they are, who are you to say residents of some small town cant live the way they choose? How is that being open minded? Now, if you are talking about taxes to pay for healthcare and other social programs, well thats a problem with the way the US govt works in general. Im not thrilled about it either. The main issue in the South is brain drain. People, like you, move out of these states saying they are so backwards, and yet you ignore the problems, choosing to leave them behind. By that way of thinking, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO IMPROVE? They can only improve if intelligent people stay behind and make them better. If you look back into Louisiana, you'll notice this happening all over the place. Louisiana cities are growing, some of them quite rapidly. High tech industry is moving in. People are no longer just leaving for other states. They are taking their wisdom and talents HERE. I think Mississippi needs to be more proactive in keeping learned people within its borders. That starts with job opportunities. internship programs. work visas. various programs to keep people in the state and helping to improve it. I foresee Louisiana in particular pulling away from the bottom of the list as time goes by because they are doing something. It took a hell of a long time to reach this point but its happening. The diversity of culture was always here to attract visitors, but those visitors are now staying with more frequency. Louisiana has leveraged its cultural identity to make this state attractive. That is what Mississippi needs to do as well. It does have history and culture. It does have beautiful areas. LEVERAGE THAT. Get intelligence into the cities. Create more areas desirable to the upper class and higher middle class. Use New Urbanist infrastructure to keep them there and interested. That is the only way to pull the state out of this perceived funk. Its not impossible to do. It will cost time and money. It will be difficult. It can be done.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 AM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
Every place has its pros and cons, however, having been on the outside looking in and the inside looking out when I did live in MS. I will have to say the Troll is somewhat right and let’s say why in the world people would want the African American community to let go of slavery when the South still keeps the Rebel living alive. After living there for some time I got tired of being called a Yankee. I did become chummy with people there and finally they let me use their bathrooms in establishments but I did see firsthand other times at the same establishments where people of different race were not allowed using it. If I were to call the owners (pillars of the community) out on it my time would have been living h-e-double hockey sticks not including my family. I was told the only way my family would ever belong would be if we stuck around for 2-3 generations. Life is too short to waste it away on an area that calls for you to be their slave for that long. They say there is southern charm in the south; however, it can also be arrogance for thinking that there is never a stink coming from the south winds. Ya'll need to take these negative comments and turn them into a positive instead of attacking the messengers and saying this can never happen here. It can happen anywhere and anytime not just in MS.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM

61 posts, read 164,050 times
OP, I live in McComb. Have for ten years. And regret moving here, and to MS, every day!

I should have stayed in Omaha... and am going back this summer. Aside from the mild winters and food, this is an awful place.

I hate the schools here. It is funny because our premiere private school, Parklane, brags about their test scores. Really, though, their test scores, when compared with the national average scores from public schools is the same! Why am I paying over $700 per month to send my kids to a god-fearing school if it is "average?" And the public schools are trash.

Too many people EXPECT handouts. I don't owe you Moderator cut: language removed Get a job.

I enjoyed USM, but hated Hattiesburg.

I used to be involved with competitive hunter/jumper (equestrian), but the shows here are a joke. I actually go to New Orleans when I am able to compete now.

Hell, I go to New Orleans for everything because MS blows.

I just want to live somewhere where Walmart and GOD do not dictate every aspect of my community! There is no such place in Mississippi.

I will not be black and think you, OP, are right to leave as well. It is depressing to think that I have spent ten years here, trying to make it work.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-20-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM

190 posts, read 692,299 times
What brought you to MS for such an extended period of time?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM

61 posts, read 164,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
What brought you to MS for such an extended period of time?
Like most 18yros, I was ready to get away from home. I wasn't really ready to go to college yet, so I just explored the country. When I was 19, I ended up in Hattiesburg and enrolled at USM. Met a guy, who is actually from Tallahassee, but transfered to McComb for a job offer (and he will tell you that it was the worst mistake EVER and ruined his career). Got married. Had kids. Planned on leaving every day. Always looking for a way out. Just never happened. But, I put my foot down this year and said, once the school year was over for the kids, we were out of here. I don't care how we do it. Pack it up and leave. This place is not for us.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM

37 posts, read 112,811 times
I'm from Atlanta but I attend college in Alabama. I had a performance to do at Alcorn State University a couple years back and it was my first time in Mississippi. On the drive from Bama to Mississippi I saw nothing but trees, and leading to Alcorn State it was the same...hell the school is in the middle of the woods.

I couldnt help but think this is my kinda place! I may be from the big city but I dont go to clubs, and I can find plenty to do outside the city. MS has a beauty to it that i want to explore more. I wouldnt mind moving there in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi