U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,272 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread is still going! I might have even posted on it and don't remember. I am not reading to find out though!

I think the reason it is so long is because there is truth to tell in both opinions expressed--Ms sucks and Ms is great.

I can't disagree with the posters who complain about the desolate rural areas and the lack of intellectual, culkural, and progressive life. The closed-society that rules in much of the state can be stifling. If I were in my 20s I would not want to be here either. There is way too much to see and do in the world. I don't center my life around church, have no family in the area, and being raised elsewhere, having attended school elsewhere, and having travelled pretty widely, I can see what the complainers are talking about. I don't even think Ms has much scenic beauty. It is kind of drab and rough looking.

Ok--having stated those sad facts--I have been here most of my adult life and although I wanted out for the first four years, I have come to believe it is really a matter of where you are in your life's journey as to whether Ms has appeal for you as an outsider. ( The natives love it outright!)

Young , single folks exploring and studying need to get out and see and do and get into cities, national parks, and exciting boomtowns. They need to develop and grow and enjoy their freedom, nightlife, and get educated. But once you have gotten on the career path and have interesting work, need a home place, are too tired at night to party, are raising a family, and have some disposable income to pursue interests like boating, travelling, concerts, or day trips, all that stuff about nightlife and quiet become irrelevant. You move in your own world of work, friends, colleagues, and can live an active lifestyle including fitness, hobbies, travel, enjoying a beasutiful home well-located, perhaps on a lake, without being housepoor and Ms becomes wonderful!

It is your age. means, and type of work that will determine if you like MS or not. If you are well-educated and have a challenging job, good income, and interesting circle of acqwuaintances Ms can be great. And it is the same place that I mentioned in the paragraph above with all the negative stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,377 times
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Randy. I've lived in Jackson for the past year & I HATE it here. I cannot get out of here soon enough. There is rampant racism here--against us white folks, since we are the minority. There are a few exceptions where I have met some wonderful black folks, but mostly I am discriminated against on a daily basis. Not only that, but the crime here is ridiculous. I have never seen so many people trying to scam & thieve, drug dealers & prostitutes are everywhere. All you have to do is watch the news every night to see this going on, but I have seen this kind of thing going on with my own eyes. It is a sad sad town. I don't know about the rest of Mississippi, but Jackson has gone to hell in a handbasket. The only other place I've lived that can compare is Southern Louisiana. It's the same way down there.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,483,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Yawn. Was I miserable in Florida, Washington, Hawaii or Japan? Nope, not at all. All were a pleasure to live in with many varied activities. Outside of Japan none were great performers in all 11 areas, but they all were better than MS overall. And if all it takes is to state some negative experiences about MS to make the people here miserable, then there truly is something wrong with the people here.

I appreciate the assumption that I'm not bettering myself. I'll have my degree finished when I leave here.

CQ press doesn't give any reference where they get their numbers from, or how it is even computed. The numbers I posted are from the FBI Uniform Crime Reports- it's the standard. Pretty much if you want a low to average crime area in MS you need a city with less than 10k people.

I'll give you the 25th in ranking for welfare. Researching it more it turns out you had some politicians that cracked down and made welfare much harder to get. I'll give credit to the state for that. But, I found what gave me the impression of this being a welfare queen state- 45% of kids are in single parent homes.
Mississippi Ranks Worst for Children's Well Being
Looks like another area where MS is the worst- child welfare. Must be a special part of the "Southern family values" that I can't understand.

I didn't say there was no saltwater fishing, I said it would be unfair to compare the saltwater fishing that was so cheap and readily available in my prior residences to the freshwater fishing here. I could drive to the coast and fish, but the sea fishing here doesn't really compare to Hawaii, Washington or even Japan. It's not the fault of the MS people, it's just how things are. Although the prices for deep sea fishing and scuba diving are much higher here than what I paid in Hawaii.

Randy, my man, I agree with you. I think we shout d kick out all those low-life Mississippians and everything they produced, past and present , and have left absolutely no cultural value whatsoever. Like Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, BB King, Morgan Freeman, Elvis Presley. And let's just disregard the fact that although they rank last in income, they rank 1st in per capita charitable contributions. What a bunch of deadbeats! No wonder you can't waitl to leave not only Mississippi AND the US. They simply can't appreciate your natural appreciation of true culture and intelligence. I really bet you can't stand Mississippi's love of the troops either. And why should they? You can't even appreciate what a truly great country and state that you live in, why should they appreciate you?

Randy, please tell me you're headed for France. Pretty please. They'll love you there.

Randy, you're

Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM

2,755 posts, read 5,306,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj06 View Post
I'm from Atlanta but I attend college in Alabama. I had a performance to do at Alcorn State University a couple years back and it was my first time in Mississippi. On the drive from Bama to Mississippi I saw nothing but trees, and leading to Alcorn State it was the same...hell the school is in the middle of the woods.

I couldnt help but think this is my kinda place! I may be from the big city but I dont go to clubs, and I can find plenty to do outside the city. MS has a beauty to it that i want to explore more. I wouldnt mind moving there in the future
I wouldn't live in MS on a permanent basis, but very nice to visit. I haven't spent any appreciable time there since the late 70's when I attended St Stanislaus during the summers and visited family in the area. Also had some distant relatives in Tupelo, but only went there once, which was eons ago.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,641 times
Default Someone is not telling the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmtl View Post
I read this entire post with great interest because my son, and a friend just came back from a road trip that took them through Mississippi.

They were driving through from Canada, towing two vehicles on their way to Texas. My son black , his friend, white, both well dressed, both very well spoken university graduates.

Being from Canada, ( which is a very different country in so many ways), both were shocked pretty much for most of their trip through this state. I don't think that either have been so publically exposed to such hatred ever. It was an enlightening experience for both.

They couldn't absorb the visual poverty, nor the abject ignorance they encountered during most of their stay there in both Mississippi and they did travel from New York to Texas, so it's not as if they didn't have ample opportunity to experience this in other states. In fact , at one point they stopped at a gas station and my son was told out loud, "there was no bathroom for *him*, when he asked for the keys. His friend, who was wearing a star-of-david necklace was told the same thing.

At a second gas station, he did get to use the bathroom, but it was so run down and dilapidated, words cannot describe it ( apparently), but a bunch of men at that place followed them in a pick up truck, on the highway for several miles.

We often only read about issues that take place in areas like Mississippi, or see them on TV in old movies. We only read about bands of people, tattooed with swastika's in wild novels and again in the movies, but those two travelling men, experienced this in real life for the first time.

I don't know how anyone can say that this area doesn't have deep rooted racial problems, or that people there aren't still persecuted, or stuck in the past. It pains me to say, that just a couple of days ago, my son actually lived it, and do did his Star-of-David friend. Both cars they were driving had foreign plates, and combined with a Canadian accent, I don't think it would take much for someone to realize they are not from the USA, so even tourists aren't exempt from local emotions of hatred.

As an outsider, I was saddened to hear this. I realize that poverty and racism exists everywhere, but from my own experiences, the issues in some areas of the USA are without comprehension to many. At some point as a tourist I would have probably liked to have experienced the area myself, but after having listen to my own son's experience, I doubt that I would venture to do this. I feel sad for the good people in Mississippi who have to live their daily lives under the shadow of old time hatred that clearly, still very much persists in this area. How so too bad for everyone, especially in a state where incoming tourism or investments dollars can truly help the people's overall prosperity potential.
Come on, I travel through Ms often and what you are saying is an absolute lie. Further more, you know you are lying! I gone is an out of hundreds on little stors in large and small towns and have seen people of all races going in and out of restrooms. If someone had tried that they would have reported it to the NAACP and it would have been in all the newspaers and National TV! Plus, in this sue happy ociety it would have ended up in the courts! So spread your lies somewhere else! Oh yes, have travled with people of other races with me and we NEVER encountered any problems! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At this point, I don't know what is in Mississippi. I have been through the state and only remember stopping in Corinth. I do know some history history of Mississippi. I know that throughout much of its history, it has been primarily rural. Up until after the Civil War, Mississippi ran on the slave economy. The majority of the settlements were along the Mississippi river. The rest of the the state was hardly populated for a long time. Mississippi basically had a feudalistic society for many years. I know someone who was born and raised in Mississippi. From what I am learning, Mississippi has been very behind on things. From what this particular person has told me, Mississippi is still behind on some things, with the exception of the Gulf Coast. According to this person, in the mid-1970's, there were still segregated schools. I thought "Mississippi couldn't do that, it's illegal". I was told that back then some of the local governments would do whatever they wanted, regardless of the legality of it. The person I spoke to about this left Mississippi and hasn't lived there in 3 decades.
What a crock! That is the problem, too may people believe things they hear and really to not know for themselves. Mississippi ended segeration of all public schools in 1969.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Randy is Randy. He is probably a life long Mississippian who lives in Meridian and works for the county picking up paper on the side of the road. He sounds disgruntaled and I bet he tried to get a job in Jackson working for Western Wate driven a gargarge truck but they would not hire him because he thought he knew too much. Now he probably lives at home with his mother because he the county would not rehire him and he lost his $250.00 appartment and could not afford it on the unemployment check he has been recieving for the past 2 years! He better hope the food stamps don't run out!

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
The main issue in the South is brain drain. People, like you, move out of these states saying they are so backwards, and yet you ignore the problems, choosing to leave them behind. By that way of thinking, HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO IMPROVE?
It doesn't help to have a federal government intimidate businesses from locating plants in the south because they are right to work states as the National Labor Relations Board is doing to Boeing Corp. for trying to locate a plant in South Carolina. I am sure this makes businesses everywhere think twice before locating to Mississippi or any other southern state. I am off subject a bit here but wanted to add that point. Now back to the subject........

Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM

14,715 posts, read 31,160,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCreek49 View Post
Come on, I travel through Ms often and what you are saying is an absolute lie. Further more, you know you are lying! I gone is an out of hundreds on little stors in large and small towns and have seen people of all races going in and out of restrooms. If someone had tried that they would have reported it to the NAACP and it would have been in all the newspaers and National TV! Plus, in this sue happy ociety it would have ended up in the courts! So spread your lies somewhere else! Oh yes, have travled with people of other races with me and we NEVER encountered any problems! You should be ashamed of yourself!
I agree, that poster is obviously a troll.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,733,399 times
That's ironic. The people I know from Mississippi are the friendliest and some of the most well mannered people I've ever met.

Very down to earth, family oriented and easy going or at least the ones I knew were/are.

Last edited by 90sman; 10-31-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi