Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times

Advertisements

I'm not much of a fan of cats, but in this case, Long Live the Cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 AM

371 posts, read 393,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Check out the links below, and see how some brave people would rather stay and fight some problems Randy mentioned rather than take to the woods.

Mississippi mayor leads charge against obesity epidemic | Need to Know
Did you read this article?

His county is rated as the most healthy in the state at 32% adult obesity. The state average is 33.8%.

But, the most interesting part is that there's very little substantial. 2.5 years ago they started farmers markets (which is great, I applaud this). Farmers markets provide cheaper options to those that want to eat healthier, but that doesn't equal fatties turning over a new leaf and becoming health conscious. They are also better for the environment.

But what was the obesity rate then vs. now? If it went from 28% to 32% it completely changes the scope of the article.

I ended with the impression it was more of a political propaganda artical than "this is how one county has made a difference" article.

As mayor he can have a direct impact on changing the direction of school menus and junk machines just by supporting the right individuals. He can push an idea of changing the PE curriculum, and then single out people that don't support it to get them removed from school boards.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Randy here is looking at Ms through a fresh set of eyes and he isn't off the mark totally. What he is saying is something that anybody who spent time in a progressive, forward-looking, highly skilled and educated community would see.

I have often touted the positives of Ms, but those positives require being able to live within certain corridors or "communities" if you will and the target of Randy's derision is, indeed, an aspect of the rural South.

But I would hope Randy would come to appreciate those Mississippians who do work hard to bring outstanding cultural events, quality medical care, and business development into the state, as well as those who spend time in the many fitness centers, classrooms, and fine dining establishments that do not feature fried food and greasy barbeque. I hope, Randy, you meet those Mississippians who are well-traveled, well-educated, and independent thinkers. Just as what you say has elements of truth---so too are these aspects of Mississippi life part of the truth.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM

88 posts, read 150,982 times
I myself was born,reared and have lived and worked here all my life. I will be be the first to say that this state SUCKS. We are on the bottom of every list when it comes to other states in every catergory. I am trying my best to eave this God forsaken place and go to any other state.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holding on View Post
I myself was born,reared and have lived and worked here all my life. I will be be the first to say that this state SUCKS. We are on the bottom of every list when it comes to other states in every catergory. I am trying my best to eave this God forsaken place and go to any other state.
Just kinda curious here...what keeps you from leaving? I've left several places where I was unhappy and leaving always seemed fairly easy to me.

Another question out of curiosity....where would you like to go?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Why would I care about this state if I'm not forced to be around it?
Did I post about MS before I moved here? Nope.
I spent the 2 years before here living overseas and outside of the presidential election I had no concern about the defunct places in America.

Defunct places in America? Who do you think you are? I have never in my life heard an "American soldier" speak about his/her fellow citizens or states in such a disrespectful, condescending manner, (and there are A LOT of military personnel in my family)! Why did you join the Military? For the scholarship? How commendable of you. I would far rather be represented by a soldier who is serving FOR LOVE OF COUNTRY...ALL OF IT...AND ALL OF US!!!! Shame on you for your filthy mouth and your stupid prejudices. I'm not from Mississippi but I don't have to be in order to be ashamed of you.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM

213 posts, read 403,881 times
Randy,
Please permit me to make a few comments (BTW I do not live in Mississippi, but have visited there several times).

On this and other threads, you come across as very adamant about exposing all the faults and problems you see, first in Mississippi, then the entire South, and now evidently the entire U.S.

And you have gathered tons of negative data to prove to everyone how right you are about how bad things are. And you like to clobber people over the head with it, as if your intellectual superiority and great powers of discernment simply cannot be challenged.

You clearly don't want to hear anything good about places you hate. And anyone who does point out something good is told that they have their head in the sand and can't refute the data you present.

Well that may be so, but it is largely irrelevant. You fail to understand that the love people have for the place they call home is NOT all about statistical data. It is so much more than that. They say "home is where the heart is", and if someone's heart is in Mississippi (or any other place), then no amount of statistical analysis is likely to change their mind. And all your powers of logical persuasion are going to fall on deaf ears.

Maybe that's a good thing. Most people basically want to appreciate the good things about where they live, and the people around them. It makes life so much more pleasant.

So why not lighten up, chill out, and just enjoy the good things about your life. Try to see the goodness and decency in people, even those you deem to be stupid hicks and are forced to coexist with down in that place you dislike so much.

We are all fellow travelers on this planet, but we come from different backgrounds, cultures, and life experiences. We need to view each other with compassion and understanding, rather than disdain.

Yeah, I know. I am some starry-eyed Pollyanna. Well so be it. I'd rather be that than full of cynicism and hatred. It has served me well in life. Believe me, life is so much better when you see the good in people and places, rather than fixate on the bad.

I am quite aware of the many problems that exist in my home city, and one thing I do in response is to be active in my neighborhood association, where people, instead of whining about the problems, band together to find solutions. They truly want to make our neighborhood and city a better place to live.

In any event, you are obviously an intelligent and articulate person, and I do wish you well, wherever you decide to land.

Last edited by pjg66; 01-02-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 11,263 times
Default I love Ms.

You can find bad stuff anywhere you live.Ms.has much to offer because there are many fine moral people there who care for there fellow man.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,263 times
If you hate us so go anywhere else and stay there.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM

211 posts, read 548,384 times
Randy?????????? Did he stroke out from hearing his voice too much? Aneurysm due to over-analysis? Moved back to his beloved Hawaii? Nah, would have heard that celebration all the way here in Michigan. Oh well, enjoy the peace and quiet. See you in 3 days Bay St. Louis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi