Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Correction. He or she may be proving the point he or she is racist, but he or she doesn't speak for me.

How can you be so judgmental about an entire state based on the comments of an individual? Sounds familiar, no? Pot, kettle and all that.
I stand corrected.
I didn't mean to imply the whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. California's murder rate is lower than Mississippi. California ranks higher than Mississippi in terms of education.
What makes Mississippi even worse than Cali is that they are speak English as their first language,while most of Cali's citizens speak Spanish as their first language.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCreek49 View Post
I guess it is time to cut all the small talk and politically correct talk and tell the truth even if that mean being looked upon in a bad way. Mississippi and the South has the largest percentage minority populations in the country. Why is Mississippi’s test scores low, why is the poverty rate so high, why is the crime rate so high? Do you really need to ask!

If you look at all of those categories with the minority mix or using the same population mix and the states that rank higher you will see Mississippi and other states in the South rank as high or higher than the States you think are great. Where I was from in MS, sure there were crime, not really a lot but there where crimes. Over 90% of it was in the minority neighborhood. The dropout rate for the non minority population was almost nonexistent and the test scores were and still are high. Also, a percentage of high school grads equal to the rest of the higher ranked states went on to college, actually at a higher rate than California. Did you know percentage wise, Mississippi and the most Rhodes Scholars? Also, when you exclude 50% of the minority students, Mississippi is among the top 10 in ACT scores.
When you mean minorities, you actually mean Blacks. California and Hawaii have the highest percentage of minorities. And have you ever thought of why Blacks were even in Mississippi at all? Has alot to do with Mississippi's slave history, and then once slavery ended, 90 years of Jim Crow segregation.

Mississippi has always been backwards when it comes to education, and it has its roots in the slave economy. Slaves weren't permitted to know how to read, and those who could educate their children sent them to private institutions. There was no push to build public schools for everyone.

http://www.apstudynotes.org/us-histo...rsy-1793-1860/

And have you ever addressed why poverty rates and crime rates in the Black community are often higher? I don't see you addressing that. I just see you making some statement without actually going deeper and look at the roots of these issues.

The culture hasn't helped either. In fact, Thomas Sowell even mentioned something about this in his essay Black Rednecks and White Liberals. I have link for you to see: Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - [page]

Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What makes Mississippi even worse than Cali is that they are speak English as their first language,while most of Cali's citizens speak Spanish as their first language.
I think what makes Mississippi even worse isn't just that, but the fact that for a long time, education hasn't been the biggest priority. I think this goes back to the days of slavery. Slaves were not allowed to be educated, and with a fraction of the population owning a slight majority of its citizens, and the rest of the White population destitute, this created a society of the few elite, the very poor, and the enslaved. There wasn't much effort to build schools. The elite could just send their children abroad or to the North. The poor couldn't do that, and slaves weren't allowed to do it. This created a situation of much of the population being illiterate.

http://www.apstudynotes.org/us-histo...rsy-1793-1860/

Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Mississippi, the land of idiots!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 PM

52 posts, read 178,652 times
the southern hospitality is often only on the surface. I lived in Alabama for two years.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1967 View Post
the southern hospitality is often only on the surface. I lived in Alabama for two years.
How was it in Alabama?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1967 View Post
To me, hospitality should not be limited to a region. It should be genuine and all over.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Mississippi, the land of idiots!
Idiots can be found anywhere. Mississippi has had a bad history in terms of education. However, idiots can be found anywhere.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When you mean minorities, you actually mean Blacks. California and Hawaii have the highest percentage of minorities. And have you ever thought of why Blacks were even in Mississippi at all? Has alot to do with Mississippi's slave history, and then once slavery ended, 90 years of Jim Crow segregation.

Mississippi has always been backwards when it comes to education, and it has its roots in the slave economy. Slaves weren't permitted to know how to read, and those who could educate their children sent them to private institutions. There was no push to build public schools for everyone.

Chapter 16: The South and the Slavery Controversy, 1793-1860

And have you ever addressed why poverty rates and crime rates in the Black community are often higher? I don't see you addressing that. I just see you making some statement without actually going deeper and look at the roots of these issues.

The culture hasn't helped either. In fact, Thomas Sowell even mentioned something about this in his essay Black Rednecks and White Liberals. I have link for you to see: Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - [page]
It was not just slaves that were affected by this but also the lower class whites as well historically speaking thanks to the plantation economy which de-emphasized education in comparison with the Northeastern/Midwestern states during the pre-civil war era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi