U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM

15,090 posts, read 13,735,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
Perhaps he is not a troll...actually, I'm not certain what he is. Contrary to your belief, we in the MS Forum are constantly attacked by people reminding us of our "perceived" shortcomings. Many of us in this thread have disputed his facts quite well indeed. No one will dispute MS ranks 50th in most all rankings...and again...I repeat...SO WHAT? What is your point in beating this to death? Should all 3 million Mississippian's shoot themselves dead because were ranked last, or because some TRAITOR who is in the service can't say enough bad things about us? Furthermore...for all you ranking lovers out there, where is the cut off point? Is a state ranking at 45 awful too, should they all jump off the earth because someone dislikes them in one way or another? Is ranking 35th OK? At what point is it bad and ones state becomes a third world country? Randy has made his points perfectly clear over and over again...ENOUGH ALREADY. Quite frankly, the traitor should be court marshaled, dishonorable discharged, and imprisoned and/or given the death sentence for going under the guise of a serviceman while disparaging his country behind their backs. As far as I'm concerned, he can't leave the country fast enough, and you should join him. And, Rejective Randy, as long as you hates MS so bad, please refrain from using any of our water, gas or electric for cooking or heating, do not use our roads or buy gasoline; do not purchase any of our goods or services while you reside here, do not use our phone lines or cell towers, do not ever engage the use of our police, dispose of your garbage, including your sewer (which I'm sure your full of) in another state...quite simply, in this third world country called MS you will not need any of the above, or any others that I can't think of right now. In other words, just sit there and admire your miserable existence...and by God, don't touch anything with your filthy little hands, I don't want any of us to catch what you have.
Your post confirms what I said. Then you go on to insult Randy and suggest he and I leave the country simply for stating an opinion. Do you only support free speech when it agrees with your views? Seriously, grow up. Enough with the personal insults.

As for the rankings, you say so what. An attitude like that is not going to fix the problems facing Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

211 posts, read 489,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeluksee View Post
perhaps he is not a troll...actually, i'm not certain what he is. Contrary to your belief, we in the ms forum are constantly attacked by people reminding us of our "perceived" shortcomings. Many of us in this thread have disputed his facts quite well indeed. No one will dispute ms ranks 50th in most all rankings...and again...i repeat...so what? What is your point in beating this to death? Should all 3 million mississippian's shoot themselves dead because were ranked last, or because some traitor who is in the service can't say enough bad things about us? Furthermore...for all you ranking lovers out there, where is the cut off point? Is a state ranking at 45 awful too, should they all jump off the earth because someone dislikes them in one way or another? Is ranking 35th ok? At what point is it bad and ones state becomes a third world country? Randy has made his points perfectly clear over and over again...enough already. Quite frankly, the traitor should be court marshaled, dishonorable discharged, and imprisoned and/or given the death sentence for going under the guise of a serviceman while disparaging his country behind their backs. As far as i'm concerned, he can't leave the country fast enough, and you should join him. And, rejective randy, as long as you hates ms so bad, please refrain from using any of our water, gas or electric for cooking or heating, do not use our roads or buy gasoline; do not purchase any of our goods or services while you reside here, do not use our phone lines or cell towers, do not ever engage the use of our police, dispose of your garbage, including your sewer (which i'm sure your full of) in another state...quite simply, in this third world country called ms you will not need any of the above, or any others that i can't think of right now. In other words, just sit there and admire your miserable existence...and by god, don't touch anything with your filthy little hands, i don't want any of us to catch what you have.
amen!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Your post confirms what I said. Then you go on to insult Randy and suggest he and I leave the country simply for stating an opinion. Do you only support free speech when it agrees with your views? Seriously, grow up. Enough with the personal insults.

As for the rankings, you say so what. An attitude like that is not going to fix the problems facing Mississippi.

This is true. Why toss out the easy "why don't you leave " comment instead of addressing the points. It makes us seem just like Randy suggests!

Randy-- You mention things about Ms that are indeed evident in a mostly rural state with a provincial population base. Most of what you say has a basis in fact somewhere in the state. A brain drain, poor neighborhoods, and failing schools are here. A closed-society can find it hard to change.

Remember this state took decades even into the 20th century to recover from the devastation of the Civil War. Remember it has a small population--not as large as many cities in other states. Considering its drawbacks it has made great strides. Actually--maybe amazing strides for such a low population density and all of the obstacles it has faced. The nation was impressed with the resilience and stength of its people after Katrina. And rightly so.

But I have lived among educated highly motivated people right here in Ms for decades. They are intelligent, well-read, well-travelled, well-educated, and conversant with the finer things in life.

There are beautiful neighborhoods and lovely gardens throughout the state. There are excellent medical facilities, art pursuits, and music venues. There are some fine eateries and some charming communities.

Ms has a literary history unrivalled, one of the top polymer science programs in the country, and has given many of its sons and daughters in defense of this country with its military traditions. Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg trains our warriors to battle overseas. It is a top military training center

You are doing what you accuse others of--seeing things only from your private corner.

Just a sampling of Mississippi. Not to impress you, Randy, but for the other folks outside our state who have read your indictment.

Recreation and Preservation
Best Mississippi Golf Courses
Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)
Best Trails in Mississippi | Best Mississippi Trails
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy: Trail of the Month: Longleaf Trace, Mississippi
Mississippi Gulf Coast Beach Information - Water Activities Search and Directory - Gulfport, Biloxi and More

Culture
Mississippi writers, Mississippi musicians, Mississippi actors, and Mississippi artists, Mississippi authors
Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
USA International Ballet Competition

from the USM symphony in Hattiesburg Internationally known artists appear with the orchestra on a regular basis, artists such as Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Doc Severinsen, Ray Charles, John Browning, Jean Pierre Rampal, Denyce Graves, Christopher Parkening, Edgar Meyer, Roberta Peters, Sir James Galway, Joshua Bell, and Placido Domingo. Because of the regular appearances of these artists, the orchestra's motto is "We bring the world to Mississippi!"

Neighborhoods (just two of many in one city)
Canebrake Homeowner's Association
Historic Hattiesburg Downtown Association

Medical
BMHCC: Hospitals and Facilities
Mississippi Hospitals and Medical Centers MS
St. Dominic's | Programs & Services

Technology

NASA - Stennis Space Center - Home
Best Polymer Science, Engineering Engineering Universities, Institutes In USA - Masters, Postgraduate Course in Polymer Science | Study Discussions - Study Abroad, Career Guidance

Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Good post Tama. Mississippi obviously is facing severe education, economical, and social problems, but I'm sure there is much to be appreciated about the state. While Jackson has it's problems, it seems as though there has been a lot of investment in recent years with more to come. I look forward to exploring the state in the future.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM

76 posts, read 88,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

IF YOU COULD ONLY COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ, LIKE YOUR FRIEND RANDY...I SAID "SO WHAT" TO THE RANKING THEMSELVES...NOT THE PROBLEMS. AND IF YOU WOULD READ MY POST, YOU WILL SEE THAT ALL OF MS KNOWS PERFECTLY WELL ABOUT OUR PROBLEMS, WE DON'T NEED TO BE REMINDED ABOUT THEM DAILY, NOR FORCE FED THEM CONSTANTLY FROM PEOPLE THAT DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE DAY IN AND DAY OUT...SO IF WHEREVER YOU RESIDE DOES NOT RANK FIRST IN EVERYTHING, WOULDN'T IT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR YOU TO DIRECT YOUR TIME, EFFORTS AND CONCERNS TRYING TO FIX YOUR STATES PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT AND COMMENTING ABOUT WHAT YOU PERCEIVE AS MISSISSIPPI'S SHORTCOMINGS? SERIOUSLY, GROW A BRAIN AND THEN GROW UP!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
IF YOU COULD ONLY COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ, LIKE YOUR FRIEND RANDY...I SAID "SO WHAT" TO THE RANKING THEMSELVES...NOT THE PROBLEMS. AND IF YOU WOULD READ MY POST, YOU WILL SEE THAT ALL OF MS KNOWS PERFECTLY WELL ABOUT OUR PROBLEMS, WE DON'T NEED TO BE REMINDED ABOUT THEM DAILY, NOR FORCE FED THEM CONSTANTLY FROM PEOPLE THAT DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE DAY IN AND DAY OUT...SO IF WHEREVER YOU RESIDE DOES NOT RANK FIRST IN EVERYTHING, WOULDN'T IT BE MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR YOU TO DIRECT YOUR TIME, EFFORTS AND CONCERNS TRYING TO FIX YOUR STATES PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT AND COMMENTING ABOUT WHAT YOU PERCEIVE AS MISSISSIPPI'S SHORTCOMINGS? SERIOUSLY, GROW A BRAIN AND THEN GROW UP!
You're telling me to grow up when you're throwing out personal insults? Are you unable to have a serious conversation without making it personal?

Randy has lived in Mississippi for almost a year and started a thread expressing his opinion of the state. Based on your reaction, he may as well have committed murder.

If Mississippi were constantly ranked number one in all the rankings, I somehow doubt you wouldn't mind hearing them all the time. If I knew my state was consistently ranked at or near the bottom, it would only inspire to do my best to improve it. I wouldn't find it offensive and suggest that those who point it out "leave the state and country". Why the hateful rhetoric?

And why shouldn't I care about what goes on in Mississippi? We're all Americans. Knowing a state like Mississippi is having such a hard time concerns me. I don't live in Michigan, but I'm still very concerned about their economy. Or should I not give a hoot simply because I don't live there? What goes on in every state affects the whole country. Clearly Mississippi has it's issues and at this point, an influx of outside investment, people, and ideas will save it. This is not to say there aren't any active, caring citizens within the state...there are plenty. But your attitude is rude and unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi