Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:43 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
The way that they were treated (maybe still are sometimes?) makes me ashamed to be white sometimes, does that make sense?
Not really. You can't be ashamed of who you are based on events that happened a hundred years ago or more. You weren't around then, and the people who those things happened to aren't still around. The best we can do is try to treat everyone with respect regardless of race and let the past go if we are to ever move on. That goes for both white and black.

If you aren't part of the problem, you shouldn't feel guilty. Each person is responsible for their own actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,093 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the information, it is very eye opening. While I have always believed that racism in any form is completely wrong, part of me can't really blame blacks if they have an intolerant attitude toward whites. Particularly in the South with such deep poverty among blacks, while whites are doing well! It makes me very sad. The way that they were treated (maybe still are sometimes?) makes me ashamed to be white sometimes, does that make sense? Of course racism isn't the only reason that the Delta is doing poorly, and Detroit is a perfect example of another city that has seemingly given up hope.

No. Makes absolutely no sense.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No different? Did you actually say "No different?"

The white people that remain in the Delta have all the nice houses (paid for by 100s of years of free labor, no doubt), they have all the few decent well-paying jobs in the area (because they wouldn't think of letting Blacks into those jobs), and they send their kids to private schools (that they can afford because of the 100s of years of free labor), while the Black kids are forced to public schools with poor teachers, poor facilities, and no hope.

You say the racism being demonstrated by the Black residents is the same as it was when the Whites were the majority. Hmm, I'm pretty sure I would have heard about numerous White women being raped by Blacks and the offenders being freed by all-Black juries. I haven't heard of random White men being found hanging from trees, while Blacks gathered around the body for a picnic lunch.

Of course the Black people in the Delta are angry, and sometimes show out with a harsh word or dirty look, but to put their behavior in the same class as what happened in the Delta for the last several hundred years shows some true ignorance of history. Or a complete lack of empathy.
Sounds like you're still blaming the white man because of something that happened 200 years ago. If you really want to make it in this world, you can. Doesn't matter what color you are or where you're from. If you want to give up and be angry, fine. But don't go blaming white people for all your failures.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM

211 posts, read 548,559 times
Perhaps it doesn't make sense to some, but that's me. The only way I can explain it is for as long as I can remember whenever I would read or see something about the Civil Rights movement, Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on the bus, etc., I've felt like if I were alive back then I would choose to be black instead of white. I would rather have taken the bad treatment than to be the one inflicting it. I would have taken a seat beside Rosa Parks and turned up my nose at the stares, I would have been her friend. I've always been that kind of person.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it doesn't make sense to some, but that's me. The only way I can explain it is for as long as I can remember whenever I would read or see something about the Civil Rights movement, Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on the bus, etc., I've felt like if I were alive back then I would choose to be black instead of white. I would rather have taken the bad treatment than to be the one inflicting it. I would have taken a seat beside Rosa Parks and turned up my nose at the stares, I would have been her friend. I've always been that kind of person.
You could have sat beside her and been her friend even if you are white.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

211 posts, read 548,559 times
Yes, and I would have!!! BUT I would have been very ashamed of whites at that time. Not all of them, mind you, because I'm sure there were others who think like me who did the right thing back then. We can't stay focused on the past, as you said. I'm just sorry it happened at all and that many are still feeling the effects.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Sounds like you're still blaming the white man because of something that happened 200 years ago. If you really want to make it in this world, you can. Doesn't matter what color you are or where you're from. If you want to give up and be angry, fine. But don't go blaming white people for all your failures.
Would you mind referring to anything that I actually stated in my posting, rather than the knee-jerk "always blaming the white man" response. Point to something in my post which you feel is wrong and comment on it.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Would you mind referring to anything that I actually stated in my posting, rather than the knee-jerk "always blaming the white man" response. Point to something in my post which you feel is wrong and comment on it.
Quote:
No different? Did you actually say "No different?"

The white people that remain in the Delta have all the nice houses (paid for by 100s of years of free labor, no doubt), they have all the few decent well-paying jobs in the area (because they wouldn't think of letting Blacks into those jobs), and they send their kids to private schools (that they can afford because of the 100s of years of free labor), while the Black kids are forced to public schools with poor teachers, poor facilities, and no hope.

You say the racism being demonstrated by the Black residents is the same as it was when the Whites were the majority. Hmm, I'm pretty sure I would have heard about numerous White women being raped by Blacks and the offenders being freed by all-Black juries. I haven't heard of random White men being found hanging from trees, while Blacks gathered around the body for a picnic lunch.

Of course the Black people in the Delta are angry, and sometimes show out with a harsh word or dirty look, but to put their behavior in the same class as what happened in the Delta for the last several hundred years shows some true ignorance of history. Or a complete lack of empathy.
You're first paragraph seems to strongly imply it.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Jackson, I'd been kind of wondering if you were looking for real answer.

But really; do you honestly believe that anyone - anyone at all - has been lynched in the delta or any place else since 1968? Here's a link to the Tuskegee Institute that says no. It does, however, give a complete list of lynchings held before 1968.
Lynching

So we should have no more talk about lynchings that have been covered up. It just doesn't happen. Not anymore.

And white folks living in homes that have been paid for by free labor over the past 100 years? Really, now. I never ran into anyone who believed that and you should reconsider your position. No one has had to work for free in your lifetime. They used to, and a great many of us are sorry for every one of them. We white folks wish it hadn't happened, too.

You believe that the white folks have all the good jobs, but the white folks believe there are no good jobs in the delta. So they leave. And therein lies a portion of the problem. Black folks are a lot less likely to leave the place of their birth than white folks. So while white folks engage in "white flight" black folks stay put. This creates a problem of sorts for black folks, I believe, and I really see no solution. We can't just go up to the delta and say, "OK, all y'all black folks gotta move to Jackson". It just doesn't work that way.
But the black folks can't say, "OK, all you white folks gotta move some jobs over here for us". That's just as ridiculous.

Things that will help are things like Delta State College, with over 4000 kids going to school and learning how to find their way in an increasingly complex world. Many of them will stay in the delta.
About DSU

Racism in any form is simply racism. An unkind word; a hostile stare; simply excluding someone who should be included. It all adds up. Don't fall for it, my friend. It's a trap.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,656 times
Things that will help are things like Delta State College, with over 4000 kids going to school and learning how to find their way in an increasingly complex world. Many of them will stay in the delta.
About DSU

It's Delta State University. One of my kids went to school there. She didn't stay in the delta after she graduated, but she didn't live there before either. It's a great school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi