Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am very familiar with West Point and it's Old Waverly. No one in their right mind would recommend West Point to an outsider.
Natchez, when I performed there in 1963 at their high school production (I was a guest musician from Jackson), was a wonderful place. But no more. Natchez's decline began when Gov Huey Long built a bridge in Baton Rouge that interfered with the big freighters. Now they all unload at Baton Rouge. With no industry to speak of and no freeway, they have declined. No end in sight. But it is pretty.
I wasn't recommending or suggesting any place for relocation - maybe I should have been more clear in my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM

33 posts, read 79,370 times
Thanks for the input- two questions though.

1. What would you guys say about the gulf coast area? My wife and I are now considering that area, along with the Madison area because they are both well off. We are well off too and make in the $250,000 range. I really love some of the houses in those areas, but we are somewhat turned off because of hurricanes. I know that the area was hit bad and got poor coverage during Katrina, how rebuilt is it down there? I found a nice home in Ocean Springs and one in Jackson County.

2. Also... coming from Charleston, South Carolina, there is a wealthy population here that drives luxury cars (Audi, BMW, Merc.) and I was wondering if that is looked down upon in Mississippi? My wife has a BMW 650 convertible and she said when she drove it through a small town, people thought she was stuck up. I drive a pickup . We are both from small southern towns and know that no one really has these cars. I know that the entire state is not poor, and we probably would not have to have a reason to ever go to areas like the delta for example, but is there a good wealthy scene on the coast-Madison? Just trying to get a feel for the area. We are seriously now considering moving because we have friends there and have fallen in love with the state.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I wouldn't think that anyone cares one way or the other how much you make. We made that much when we were working; so did many of our friends.
Wave it around like you're the only one with money and you'll fail miserably, though. I've seen it happen.

On a personal note, I think you're headed for trouble. You're sending feelers out to make sure you are surrounded by the right kinds of people. Problem is, about 90% of the people in MS were born here. You weren't. It'll seem to you - and your wife - that the conversation is lacking in depth because it always drifts towards old friends and activities.
If she felt rejected just driving through one of the small towns I can imagine how she will feel if her new friends all go off on vacation without her. And they might.

What's wrong with Charleston? That's where we go for vacation!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't think that anyone cares one way or the other how much you make. We made that much when we were working; so did many of our friends.
Wave it around like you're the only one with money and you'll fail miserably, though. I've seen it happen.

On a personal note, I think you're headed for trouble. You're sending feelers out to make sure you are surrounded by the right kinds of people. Problem is, about 90% of the people in MS were born here. You weren't. It'll seem to you - and your wife - that the conversation is lacking in depth because it always drifts towards old friends and activities.
If she felt rejected just driving through one of the small towns I can imagine how she will feel if her new friends all go off on vacation without her. And they might.

What's wrong with Charleston? That's where we go for vacation!
We don't brag about how much we make and we know nobody cares, we were just wondering because we know that it is the poorest state but we have realized that even though it is poor, there is still wealth.

And about the point that most people were born in Mississippi, you are right. But we do have a family of close friends that is moving to Ridgeland. We were just considering the Gulf area due to its beauty, but since we have young kids, Madison seems like a wonderful place to raise a family. So we can work are way into the social situation!

And about Charleston- Nothing is wrong with it. I originally wanted to buy a plot of land for hunting, but now we would like to raise our kids in southern area with religious values. Charleston is like that, but Mississippi is even more. There is nothing really wrong with Charleston, but we just feel attracted to MS for some reason! We probably sound crazy.

Also... I am going to have to get used to the Ole Miss and Miss. State fans- I am a proud Carolina alum! But hey, at least there will be less Clemson fans in Mississippi, thats a plus!

Last edited by the southern gentleman; 01-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
..........at least there will be less Clemson fans in Mississippi, thats a plus!
You probably won't find one. But if you do, paint him orange so the rest of us can spot him!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You probably won't find one. But if you do, paint him orange so the rest of us can spot him!
Ha, I'll be trustin y'all to give him a Mississippi style what for

And one question for you if you know, what is the best private school in the Jackson-Madison area? Assuming you live there that is...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Ha, I'll be trustin y'all to give him a Mississippi style what for

And one question for you if you know, what is the best private school in the Jackson-Madison area? Assuming you live there that is...
Nah. I'm up in Tupelo.

G'Luck

Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
Southern Gentleman, just for the record, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reports on per capita personal income by state. In 2009, South Carolina was $31,000 and Mississippi was $30,000. The change from South Carolina may not be as significant as you might think. The national average is $39,000. The best private school in the Madison area is probably St. Andrew's Episcopal.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM

190 posts, read 692,514 times
[quote=the southern gentleman;17395616]

Quote:
Also... coming from Charleston, South Carolina, there is a wealthy population here that drives luxury cars (Audi, BMW, Merc.) and I was wondering if that is looked down upon in Mississippi? My wife has a BMW 650 convertible and she said when she drove it through a small town, people thought she was stuck up.

All we ask is that you keep it clean, so when we take pictures with our polaroid cameras as you drive by they'll come out good. Do that for us, and we'll welcome you with open arms. Seriously though, there are plenty of those brands on the roads around here (the cheaper models seem to be very popular with the recently graduated from college crowd). It also isn't uncommon to see the higher end models of those brands around either, but you'll rarely see anything from say a Maserati class on up in this area (class being defined as base model offerings go).

Quote:
I know that the entire state is not poor, and we probably would not have to have a reason to ever go to areas like the delta for example
If you enjoy hunting as you say you do, then I would never say never when it comes to the delta. Excellent deer / duck hunting there, so you might enjoy a few days in the area every now and then. I'd come in with and open mind and explore the entire area if I were you.

Quote:
We are well off too and make in the $250,000 range.
Assuming that is each, since the only people I know who define wealthy as $250K / yr. are the democrats in Washington. If you are truly seeking out religious values, you should be able to find a crowd to socialize with at through a church in the area. If your primary criteria for socializing is income bracket, well, that can be found in the local churches also.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM

BTW...I'm not a hunter and don't know a durn thing about it, but my hunting friends hunt deer with dogs in the delta. I've never been in an area where that was the preferred method of flushing Bambi. Always struck me as sort of a throwback, but like I said I don't know much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi