Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,042 times

Advertisements

I posted several months ago about relocating to Corinth, MS from Richmond, VA. We definitely want to get back to the NE area because that is where most of my family is located. After many months of research, Tupelo looks to me like it would be a better choice in terms of job availability, housing, and several other factors. On a personal note, I believe it would be less of a cultural shock for my kids, ages 13 and 10.

My husband is insisting on country living and he wants to be closer to Iuka because our best friends have a gorgeous place on Pickwick Lake. They have offered us the use of their lake house for as long as it takes us to get settled and get jobs. His concern for looking for jobs in the Tupelo area is the commute from Pickwick. I personally think he could handle it for a few months while we find what we are looking for.

I guess my questions are: would we be better off looking in Tupelo and the surrounding areas or are their jobs available in Corinth? I know there are many small towns between Tupelo and Iuka that would give him the country life he wants but still the benefits of being close to Tupelo. What are some of the nicer places? How are the schools?

Finally, if we were to look for housing inside Tupelo, what are the areas to avoid? We are trying to move away from crime! Saltillo looks good and would be closer to what we are used to. I liken the area we are in now as being somewhat like Madison is to Jackson and I see Saltillo to Tupelo as being similar.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,241 times
Default living

Saltillo is a very good choice. The school has a number five accreditation (Highest rating level in the state) and 4A in size. The High School and Elementary buildings are fairly new. It has a four-lane highway (US45) that is easily accessible and makes traveling to larger cities such as memphis a breeze.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,642,783 times
Iuka is only an hour or so from Tupelo, and it is all four lane highway, not far to drive at all.

Saltillo is an up and coming small town with small town values still intact, and so is Baldwyn and Booneville and Guntown. Any of these would be a great place to live. Of course I live in Blue Springs and simply love it here. I do expect our town to grow by leaps and bounds the next few years, but we do hope to retian our values and grow the town in a smart way. Anywhere within a 25 mile radius of us will see growth because of the new Toyota plant. You were asking about employment, this is one area you might want to look into, the pay is expected to be top notch and I just returned from a tour of the Georgetown Toyota plant and was amazed at all the things they do for employees and the moral while working.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 16,783 times
What type of work is your husband looking for? There are seasonal summer jobs in Pickwick, which, by the way is a nice place to live. You could try the state unemployment offices in both Tennessee (Savannah) and Mississippi (Corinth). Try some online job hunting. Savannah, Tennessee is not too far from Pickwick Lake. The cost of living is lower in Tennessee, no state income tax here! Corinth is a beautiful city. I love to walk my dogs downtown on nice evenings. Housing prices are reasonable in both Alcorn County in Mississippi(Corinth) and Hardin County in Tennessee(Savannah). You will also be near McNairy County, Tennessee and Tishomingo County, Mississippi (Iuka). I love this area, I've lived in upstate New York and in West Palm Beach, Florida but I prefer here in Counce to both!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,937 times
What are the percentages of the population as far as race goes?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,937 times
My question about the percentages of the population as far as race goes--I am asking about Corinth, Mississippi. thanks!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 PM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycegibbs View Post
My question about the percentages of the population as far as race goes--I am asking about Corinth, Mississippi. thanks!
75% white/25% black.........Tupelo is about the same as of 2000, but I think both of them tilted a little more black in the last decade. Not to worry, though. One of the best thing about Tupelo is the fact that we all just get along. Don't know much about Corinth. Looks a little run down

See: Life in Tupelo
http://www.city-data.com/forum/missi...issippi-5.html

Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 PM

231 posts, read 592,067 times
Default Considering moving to Tupelo

I definitely recommend Tupelo. It's not exactly a manufacturing center, but jobs would be far easier to find than in Corinth. Toyota is opening an Auto plant at Blue Springs which is a Community just out of Tupelo. Tupelo is kind of a Medical center for that area on Mississippi and has decent medical facilities. Unlike some areas of the State, Tupelo has always been fairly prosperous.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM

219 posts, read 495,086 times
Comparing Corinth to Tupelo is like comparing a potato to an apple, totally different places. I lived in NEMS for over 10 years and quite familiar with the area. Saltillo is really coming along but if you want country living you might try Guntown or Baldwyn. Those are also off 45 like Saltillo but are not building at break neck speeds. I get the feeling Saltillo wants to be an upscale suburb now.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 24,695 times
your best bets would be fulton school, its the highest in the country as well as a morreville and fairveiw, now morreville and fulton is mostly white and fairveiw with highest rating is all white goes to the 8th grade you would want your kids to go in high school in itawambia county high school go to Fulton. saltillo is nice there rating isnt as high and in the last 5 yrs have had a very high rate in drug problems higher than most towns and its went into there schools very bad.cheapest land is 1500 acre to 3000 . the highest is 6000 to 12000 acre and you can get a 2 bd house for 40,000 most houses around here are in the 60,000 range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi