U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

14,149 posts, read 19,677,524 times

Advertisements

I love how people think MS is this racist backwards dump but when they go south by Bay St. Louis/Biloxi they are amazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 18,469,732 times
Thank you for starting this valuable and pleasant thread, brickpatio.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM

767 posts, read 1,999,034 times
Like the welcome signs say "Feels Like Coming Home"

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,468 times
I love the creeks and rivers in Mississippi. Black Creek national wilderness area, Red Creek, Wolf River, Strong River, Homochitto, Chickasahay, and many more. Gentle currents, lush forests, small rapids...basically paradise especially in cooler months. In the fall, Pickwick Lake in extreme northeast Mississippi at the border with Alabama and Tennessee can't be beat, with cool breezes, sunshine, turning autumn leaves, limestone, clear waters, and sail boats.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 PM

13,458 posts, read 8,479,915 times
I like the fact that Mississippi is not last in one area of education! That is, we graduate 62% of our young people from high school.
And bad as that is, there are several states that do worse. (I don't know what the heck goes on in Nevada!)

Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,193 times
Cheerfulness--everywhere. I can be at home feeling a bit down and just head out to do some errands and BAM! I am uplifted by the smiles and the good wishes and hellos and "have a nice days" and the chuckles and the grins. And the men are gorgeous-foget the women!!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,468 times
I love Mississippi's deeply wooded backroads, hills, and ravines. Drive highway 13 south of Mendenhall or highway 51 south of Hazlehurst, thick with forests, high ridges, and abundant wildlife, with the lower Pearl River cutting through the center of that remote and beautiful part of the state. Especially in these cool months, the forests and hills, dotted with creeks, lakes and rivers, is like paradise on earth. And with modern amenities not too far away (e.g. Home Depot, Walgreens etc over in Brookhaven) plus wireless internet and cell phones, now that is paradise.

Speaking of, has anyone driven around the town of Brookhaven? Some of the most beautiful homes (and mansions) amid huge lawns and draping oaks, with a thriving little downtown area. They have the good life going on down there...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM

76 posts, read 88,284 times
Thanks about the post on Brookhaven, have never been there, now this gives me something new to do!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,536,311 times
Quote:
I like the fact that Mississippi is not last in one area of education!
We are last in every study. The study you posted simply shows graduation rates, correct? A monkey could graduate from high school in Mississippi. Our schools have been dumbed down to allow bottom-feeders to graduate. We teach to the lowest common denominator. Those same kids wouldn't pass 9th grade in better school systems. Compare standardized test scores. Compare SAT or ACT results. But comparing graduation rates is just silly.

I love a lot of things about Mississippi. But posting misleading studies doesn't help our image.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM

13,458 posts, read 8,479,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We are last in every study. The study you posted simply shows graduation rates, correct? A monkey could graduate from high school in Mississippi. Our schools have been dumbed down to allow bottom-feeders to graduate. We teach to the lowest common denominator. Those same kids wouldn't pass 9th grade in better school systems. Compare standardized test scores. Compare SAT or ACT results. But comparing graduation rates is just silly.

I love a lot of things about Mississippi. But posting misleading studies doesn't help our image.
You are wrong.
There is nothing misleading about posting the fact that we graduate 62% of our kids, and that is better than some other states.
The fact is, your kids couldn't get along in the educational system and you blame the system.

We don't graduate monkeys, and your claim that a monkey could do so only highlights your hysteria on the subject.
Your claim that we are last in every study is contradicted by the chart I posted. Deal with it, Sweetie. It's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi